Author Topic: Nintendo hates us.  (Read 1602 times)

Jackie-Boy

Nintendo hates us.
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:47:38 pm »
I've recently dusted off my GameCube and fired up my newly acquisitioned copy of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and I've been having a wonderful time. The game is phenomenal, and the graphics really couldn't be better. The story line is engaging, and the characters have some depth, but as I'm going through one of the cinematics, a thought rolls through my head:

Nintendo hates people who can't read. I bet they take in huge sums of money under the table from the American Literacy Council and various PTA groups. There's no way that they'd just rather read about the crap going on in the game than have the characters actually speak. It's gotta be a conspiracy.

I start thinking back, and ever since games could speak like humans, Nintendo has never given a flip about the spoken word. Sure, every once in a while, Mario sticks his bulbous nose out to annoy us with a "It'sa Me!" but seriously, what is going on?

The three big Nintendo properties, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, all refuse to insert voice acting in their games. Instead, every cutscene or bit of game info is given to us like transcripts from Nightline, followed by the always annoying "please press 'A' to continue." I read a while back that the powers that be were considering adding voice to the new Zelda game (Twilight Princess), and I about crapped a stone. That would be the only thing to make a perfect game more... uh... perfect-er. But then I read recently that the idea had been scrapped in favor of the more traditional word balloon style of info-gathering. Man, that just bites.

Does anybody know why those Japanese guys hate us so badly? I just want the characters to actually speak when they are speaking. Is that so much to ask?

Kenny Blankenship

Nintendo hates us.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:53:11 pm »
It's a good thing Nintendo usually doesn't have voice overs.  Case in point: Super Mario Sunshine.  The voice acting was so horrendous, that I probably would have shot myself if Mario actually talked in that game.  Voice acting can just RUIN a game, and in my opinion, doesn't add all that much to the experience done right, either.  I'm perfectly fine reading....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 07:54:37 pm by Kenny Blankenship »

timstapels

Nintendo hates us.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:59:19 pm »
I have no problem reading. Some games are better reading than listening. Especially if it's a sequel and they're suddenly speaking out loud and the voices sound so much wors than they should.

Banana

Nintendo hates us.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:53:42 pm »
No way would I have a Zelda game with words. The classic noises are perfect.

I sort of agree with you, but like Kenny said, voice acting can ruin a game.  People that can't read, they could have some one read it for them.  I dunno.  But still.  I don't think it makes a big difference.  All that matters is the F.U.N value.

SpongeBobAndyZX14

Nintendo hates us.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:55 pm »
It depends on what game.  Mario, Zelda, and Samous probably don't have it because there have been so many of there games produced throughout years that eventully people will complain because the voices change.

timstapels

Nintendo hates us.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 06:14:57 pm »
It depends on what game.  Mario, Zelda, and Samous probably don't have it because there have been so many of there games produced throughout years that eventully people will complain because the voices change.
[snapback]186571[/snapback]
That's what I was trying to get at  :cool: