Author Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 1671 times)

Banana

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
« on: June 07, 2005, 04:43:14 am »
Well, we need this tread.

I am a major H2G2 fan (Even though I've only read the first book).  These books are great, and I think any fan of Spongebob would like them.  Full of wit, randomness, and great narration, they are probably the best sci-fi book series around.

The books are about an englishman, who's best friend tells him that he is an alien and that the Earth will blow up in 6 minutes.  They hitchhike off the planet into space, and later bump into a spaceship called The Heart of Gold as they travel to find the question for the answer of Life, The Universe and Everything.

Arthur: If I asked you where the ::Dolphin Noise:: we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.

"Please relax," said the voice pleasantly, like a stewardess in an airliner with only one wing and two engines, one of which is on fire, "you are perfectly safe."

"Don't you want to interrogate the prisoners, sir?" he squaled.

The Captain peered at him in bemusement.

"Why on Golgafrincham should I want to do that?" he asked.

"To get information out of them, sir! To find out why they came here!"

"Oh no, no, no," said the Captain. "I expect they just dropped in for a quick jynnan tonnyx, don't you?"

"But they're my prisoners! I must interrogate them!"

The Captain looked at them doubtfully.

"Oh all right," he said, "if you must. Ask them what they want to drink."

A hard cold gleam came into Number Two's eyes. He advanced slowly on Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent.

"All right, you scum," he growled, "you vermin..." He jabbed Ford with the Kill-O-Zap gun.

"Steady on, Number Two," admonished the Captain gently.

"What do you want to drink?!!" Number Two screamed.

"Well the jynnan tonnyx sounds very nice to me," said Ford. "What about you, Arthur?"

Arthur blinked.

"What? Oh, er, yes," he said.

"With ice or without?!" bellowed Number Two.

Oh, with, please," said Ford.

"Lemon??!!"

"Yes, please," said Ford, "and do you have any of those little biscuits? You know, the cheesey ones?"

"I'm asking the questions!!!!" howled Number Two, his body shaking with apoplectic fury.

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?

Good stuff.

Offline Chongster

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • ^ George ^
    • View Profile
    • www.simon-chong.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 12:14:05 pm »
ive read the book, and i absoloutly love them, the move is good too, and i can let them slide with all the new stuff they added to it because douglas adams himself wrote them in when the movie was thought of nearly 20 years ago!!...i think its about 20 years ago anyway....

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 01:18:22 pm »
yeah, my dad used to read them when he was younger. he passed all the books down to me brother, who reads them like everyday hehe!!

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 01:54:26 pm »
Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there and what's so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get *there*. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be.

I love that quote.

timstapels

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:56:21 pm »
I'm going to have to read this some time, it sounds great :happy:

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 06:26:44 pm »
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."