Author Topic: This is really stupid.  (Read 6962 times)

Jackie-Boy

This is really stupid.
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:34:51 am »
A couple of weeks ago, I was alerted to a situation that has happened to several teenagers my age across the country. The problem? OD'ing on cold medicine, to get a buzz.

It's a simple formula. You get a pack of cold meds, pop out 12 of them, and then apparently, you go on this modified version of "Mr Toad's Wild Ride", the only difference being, that you just might die.

Now, when I first heard of this, I was appalled. Not because I'm some Drug Nazi who wants anything that can harm you taken off the market, but rather, because that's got to be the dumbest way to get high since huffing paint.

I mean, really. You're popping 12+ cold pills, for what? One girl described it as "Feeling like I'm asleep with my eyes wide open." What the hell?

See, it used to be that when you wanted to get screwed up, you got a friend who could buy beer, bought a case or two of cheap beer, drank a bunch, threw up, and passed out. You woke up the next morning, and went about your business. As long as you stayed inside, and didn't draw too much attention to yourself, you could make it through unscathed.

But for some reason, kids don't want to do this. No, they want to swallow COLD MEDICINE to get a high.

I never thought I'd say this, but GET DRUNK. You drink your butt off for a night, and then it's over. In fact, if you're smart, drinking that much is a deterrent from drinking that much again.

My point I'm trying to get at here is, chemical abuse is in a good place right now. There are relatively low consequences for drinking, as long as you do it right. Do it with friends and relatives, don't leave the house, and have designated areas to puke.

Please people, do the responsible thing. Drink Beer.

That is, when you're older. Never when you're like 11 or 12. Or 13 or 14. 15 is okay as long as you do it with your family... >_>

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
This is really stupid.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:40:31 am »
This remind me of "give up the toad" song on Family Guy.

You can't really stop kids from doing what they want unless it's put up really high where they cant reach it. Have an alarm or anything blocking their way to get to the pills/drugs. Parents are at fault for this. And forever will be.

Dragon Of Grief

This is really stupid.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:43:40 am »
Think for a sec... what is easier to access for teenagers? Cold medicine, or alcohol? Of course they would drink cold medicine because it is so much easier to get to.

Jackie-Boy

This is really stupid.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:47:37 am »
Think for a sec... what is easier to access for teenagers? Cold medicine, or alcohol? Of course they would drink cold medicine because it is so much easier to get to.
[snapback]220220[/snapback]

I've done the thinking. I know it's easier for them to get. But alcohol is safer than cold medicine. Never thought I'd say that...

Lil Loco

This is really stupid.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:05:54 pm »
Yea thoze kidz are dumb az hell...

And yea ur right jackieboy...alcoholz buzz iz alot safer than poppin pillz that you'll prolly OD on jus to get the same effect...Not that alcohol iz good for u or nuthin, but yea thoze foolz need to be smarter.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 02:09:48 pm by Lil Loco »

Elizabeth Rose

This is really stupid.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 07:14:33 pm »
[snapback]220220[/snapback]
Alcohol is easy as heck to get.... :biggrin:

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
This is really stupid.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:49:05 am »
If you live in the UK then Alcohol can be consumed in pubs (or bars..whatever) when you are 18, yet still the whole country is suffereing from drug abuse and violence....the drinking doesn't help either.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

weird_4

This is really stupid.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 09:26:23 am »
A couple of weeks ago, I was alerted to a situation that has happened to several teenagers my age across the country. The problem? OD'ing on cold medicine, to get a buzz.

It's a simple formula. You get a pack of cold meds, pop out 12 of them, and then apparently, you go on this modified version of "Mr Toad's Wild Ride", the only difference being, that you just might die.

Now, when I first heard of this, I was appalled. Not because I'm some Drug Nazi who wants anything that can harm you taken off the market, but rather, because that's got to be the dumbest way to get high since huffing paint.

I mean, really. You're popping 12+ cold pills, for what? One girl described it as "Feeling like I'm asleep with my eyes wide open." What the hell?

See, it used to be that when you wanted to get screwed up, you got a friend who could buy beer, bought a case or two of cheap beer, drank a bunch, threw up, and passed out. You woke up the next morning, and went about your business. As long as you stayed inside, and didn't draw too much attention to yourself, you could make it through unscathed.

But for some reason, kids don't want to do this. No, they want to swallow COLD MEDICINE to get a high.

I never thought I'd say this, but GET DRUNK. You drink your butt off for a night, and then it's over. In fact, if you're smart, drinking that much is a deterrent from drinking that much again.

My point I'm trying to get at here is, chemical abuse is in a good place right now. There are relatively low consequences for drinking, as long as you do it right. Do it with friends and relatives, don't leave the house, and have designated areas to puke.

That is, when you're older. Never when you're like 11 or 12. Or 13 or 14. 15 is okay as long as you do it with your family... >_>
[snapback]220207[/snapback]
I heard that drinking beer is bad for you... And it is! Besides...I think you're to youung to drink.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
This is really stupid.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 09:33:30 am »
I heard that drinking beer is bad for you... And it is! Besides...I think you're to youung to drink.

No, no, no, no. You are thinking of continuous consumption of alcohol, drinking it every night, every week, every month all year roung is bad for you....drinking 1 a week in a decent manner is OK....it's when you drink too much that you throw up.
Know you limits and unit intake and you can drink alcohol.
Im saving my liver for when I turn 18 though.

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Elizabeth Rose

This is really stupid.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 09:57:26 am »
Young smoung. I am 18 and still can't legally drink. I can go fight for my country, go to college, but not legally have a drink. That's stupid. And fresh beer is actually good for you. In the medieval times it was used to heal colds, and it worked!

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
This is really stupid.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 01:01:59 pm »
I honestly don't see the point of drugs. You're screwing up your life for temporary pleasure.

Jackie-Boy

This is really stupid.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 01:12:27 pm »
[snapback]221261[/snapback]

Excessive drinking is bad for you, which I don't do. Every once in a while I get drunk with my family, who can keep me in check.

Speaking of which, here's a good Micth Hedberg quote.

"Alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having.

'Dang it, Otto! You're an alcoholic!'
'Dang it, Otto! You have lupis!'

One of those two doesn't quite fit."

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
This is really stupid.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 01:18:48 pm »
I knew a kid in high school that came in one Monday morning saying he felt like crap. Why? He popped 12+ cold pills to get high. He said it was awful and He'd never do it again. Drugs and drinking are BOTH stupid. BOTH can screw up for temporary pleasure. Kids dont get that. Adults dont get that. I'm almost 20 and have never done drugs. I've had a few drinks and hated it. 1 reason why kids do this stuff. To be cool and fit in. No one likes being an outcast with no friends. No one likes to be a "goody goody". So, this makes them cool and popular for 10 seconds. Then they puke their brains out, get awful hang overs and distroy themselves basically.....real cool kids....real cool.

Sissy Alba

This is really stupid.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 04:31:01 pm »
My mom said that being drunk makes you act like a monster with funny breath.I don't know what she meant by that.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
This is really stupid.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45:50 am »
My mom said that being drunk makes you act like a monster with funny breath.
[snapback]222149[/snapback]

That's only true with MEN who drink far too much than they can handle.  :dry:
Drinking alcohol isn't a bad thing, but drinking too much is as STUPID as taking drugs.

Sheldon J. Plankton

This is really stupid.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 06:08:07 am »
[snapback]220207[/snapback]

Alright I do agree with you that OD'ing on cold medicine is stupid as is all other drugs, but how is drinking beer more responsible than drugs, sure it's not as bad for you, but it's still a stupid habit to get into, and before you guys stat throwing crap at me that alcohol can't kill you, remember Bon Scott and John Bonham...

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
This is really stupid.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 09:10:41 am »
Drinking in moderate amounts is alright.

It's drinking excessively that is bad.

Sponge Pat

This is really stupid.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 03:29:46 pm »
We humans sure are stupid. Intentionally wrecking our bodies...

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
This is really stupid.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 03:37:04 pm »
I can't believe ADD/ADHD medicine wasn't mentioned. That was the drug of choice back in middle school. We all went crazy when we were stupid like that. Now in high school we stick with illegal drugs and alcohol because we built up a tolerance to Adderol, asprin, and less xhxaxrxdxcxoxrxex stuff like that. That my friends is the evolution of a typical high school druggie.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
This is really stupid.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12:49 am »
[snapback]222837[/snapback]

Quit trying to act like me, it's not funny.

Sponge Pat

This is really stupid.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 01:59:21 pm »
[snapback]222837[/snapback]

Quit trying to act like me, it's not funny.
[snapback]222992[/snapback]

:blink:  What did you post something like that? I didn't read much of the thread.

jojobird

This is really stupid.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 12:57:59 pm »
The only reason that teens try to make drugs out of cold and cough medicine is because of peer-pressure. Friends say that you're chicken if you don't try it and the victim is the one to suffer. The only one who's chicken is the one who does it.