Author Topic: Is a fetus a person?  (Read 13134 times)

Jackie-Boy

Is a fetus a person?
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:23:39 am »
This has become a popular debate at my school. I really don't think a fetus is a person. If a fetus is counted as a person, then when there's a miscarriage, why isn't there a funeral?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 03:23:49 am by Jackie-Boy »

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:01:26 am »
A fetus is an indeveloped human, but it is not a person until it is born.

People can say otherwise, but that was just my point, I don't speak for the whole world.

EDIT: Whoops! I was talking about embryo's! ^_^;
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 08:36:57 am by Sarah »
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Elizabeth Rose

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:34:32 am »
Yes.  If I had a miscarriage, there would be some sort of a funeral.  Feti are people too.

Rachy

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 06:14:21 pm »
I'm with Liz, it's a person.  I don't know if I would have a funeral as such, but I would still be in mourning the same as if the baby had actually been born.  Doesn't matter if it is born or not...it's a baby, it's your own flesh and blood and it's there because it's meant to be there, it's meant to be born, it's a HUMAN baby.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:16:03 pm by Rachy »

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 01:15:05 pm »
They do have funerals. My aunt had a miscarraige, and there was a funeral for it. So yes, im my opinion, it is a person.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 08:42:50 pm »
Yes, it is. I have an aunt who had a miscarrage, there was a funeral and he has a grave stone.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 08:45:41 pm »
The way I see it, a fetus is only a person if it can survive with machines, which is like 26 weeks, I think.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Now that were men

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 11:39:32 am »
Is it true if some one murders some one pregant it ccounts as to murders?  If so then yes, a fetus is a person.

Im shuddering thinking about it...

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 08:38:31 pm »
Of course it is... it has living cells. No matter how little something is it is a living person from the moment of conception. A human life is a human life from start to finish.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 09:27:52 pm »
Both the funeral and the double murder law arguement are flawed.  You can have a funeral for anything, and laws are written and struck down on a daily basis.  The definition of being human is different for every person, which makes laws about it difficult.  To me, a human must be aware of its own existance to be a human.  As for whether or not a fetus is, I don't know.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 06:03:15 pm »
Both the funeral and the double murder law arguement are flawed.  You can have a funeral for anything, and laws are written and struck down on a daily basis.  The definition of being human is different for every person, which makes laws about it difficult.  To me, a human must be aware of its own existance to be a human.  As for whether or not a fetus is, I don't know.
[snapback]254028[/snapback]
Then what about the mentally retarded, or someone who is in a state of vegetation? They do not know they are human, so according to your theory that makes THEM inhuman... am I correct?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 06:04:29 pm »
I believe to be considered a human, they must be able to sustain their own life without the assistance of machines.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 06:06:41 pm »
I believe to be considered a human, they must be able to sustain their own life without the assistance of machines.
[snapback]254150[/snapback]
So then what about a diabetic? Some diabetics need dyalisis (SP?) machines... so now YOU are saying anyone that needs ANY assistance like from an oxygen machine is inhuman?

That logic is fatally flawed, Kevin :glare:

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 06:18:14 pm »
so now YOU are saying anyone that needs ANY assistance like from an oxygen machine is inhuman?
[snapback]254151[/snapback]

If someone has no chance of surviving, and must live off of a machine that will only artificially keep them alive, then no, they aren't human, and deserve to be put out of their misery.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:18:25 pm by IZ »

Lil Loco

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 06:20:54 pm »
they might deserve to put outta their misery, but they're still human.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:25:34 pm »
so now YOU are saying anyone that needs ANY assistance like from an oxygen machine is inhuman?

If someone has no chance of surviving, and must live off of a machine that will only artificially keep them alive, then no, they aren't human, and deserve to be put out of their misery.
[snapback]254154[/snapback]
Kevin, that is a horrible thing to say. Who are we to decide if someone lives or dies? My father needs an oxygen machine to help him breath while he recovers from an operation.. does HE deserve to die? My grandmother needs insulin injections to survive. Does SHE deserve to die?

That statement sickens me, Kevin... they are no less of people then you and I are. And anyways, you need food right? You need a fridge to keep that food cold... without it you would starve to death. So since you need a fridge to store your food so you can eat should YOU be put out of your misery because you need it to eat the food so you survive?

Think about that a little Kevin... we all use machines these days to survive.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 06:27:01 pm »
Both the funeral and the double murder law arguement are flawed.  You can have a funeral for anything, and laws are written and struck down on a daily basis.  The definition of being human is different for every person, which makes laws about it difficult.  To me, a human must be aware of its own existance to be a human.  As for whether or not a fetus is, I don't know.
Then what about the mentally retarded, or someone who is in a state of vegetation? They do not know they are human, so according to your theory that makes THEM inhuman... am I correct?
[snapback]254149[/snapback]
Vegetables aren't living humans.  They're machines hooked up to organic matter.

Mentally retarded people are aware of their own existance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:27:52 pm by cmonkey »

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42:03 pm »

[snapback]254161[/snapback]
But do they know that they are human? They may be aware they are alive but can they grasp the concept that they are human beings?

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 06:43:34 pm »

[snapback]254161[/snapback]
But do they know that they are human? They may be aware they are alive but can they grasp the concept that they are human beings?
[snapback]254164[/snapback]
Do you know that you are human?  Does anyone know that they are human?  Note I specifically said "aware of their own existance".  It's pointless to use the word human in the definition of human.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:44:05 pm by cmonkey »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 06:44:38 pm »

That statement sickens me, Kevin... they are no less of people then you and I are. And anyways, you need food right? You need a fridge to keep that food cold... without it you would starve to death. So since you need a fridge to store your food so you can eat should YOU be put out of your misery because you need it to eat the food so you survive?
[snapback]254160[/snapback]

People lived without refrigerators for quite awhile. It's a perk, and it's not required to mantain life.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 06:47:52 pm »

People lived without refrigerators for quite awhile. It's a perk, and it's not required to mantain life.
[snapback]254166[/snapback]

But just because someone needs a machine to live does not make them 'Not-Human'

Thats riduculous. Im assuming now that people whom get a heart attack are no longer human? bewcause they need a machine to live for the time being? And then when they are done needing the machine they are human again? Think about it...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:48:18 pm by IceFox »

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 06:53:23 pm »
Nobody deserves to die because the suffer from some sort of disability that requires machines... it is assanine to say they deserve to die.

Elizabeth Rose

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 07:23:39 pm »

[snapback]254166[/snapback]

But food is.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 11:47:47 pm »
Something non-human is something that behaves in-humainly.
Like an ANIMAL....for instance, a mouse.
Humans can deny their own existance and say 'I don't want to be human, therfor I deny myself being one' like I have, so technically, Im not human.

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

garyfan

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 12:37:17 pm »
It is a person. It is A-L-I-V-E.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 06:12:20 pm »
Look how Kevin is ignoring this topic now... pfft.

Extremists bother me.

When Kevin can prove why people that needs machines to survive deserve to die then I might retract my statement.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 06:32:59 pm »

Extremists bother me.

When Kevin can prove why people that needs machines to survive deserve to die then I might retract my statement.
[snapback]254347[/snapback]

Hmm... let me rephrase my statement.

If a fetus can live on it's own with living off of another person's body, than it can be considered a person.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 06:32:58 pm »

Extremists bother me.

[snapback]254347[/snapback]

Hmm... let me rephrase my statement.

If a fetus can live on it's own with living off of another person's body, than it can be considered a person.
[snapback]254350[/snapback]
That made no sense, Kevin... doesn't change the fact what you said was very inappropriate. You have no right to say who deserves to live and die. It is not your place. Everyone deserves to live... people in wheelchairs my need a machine to get around but they can still live their lives like any normal human being.

I am sorry Kevin, but that was a very dumb thing to say...

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2005, 12:21:21 pm »
Don't start flaming eachother or I'll close this topic.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 12:22:41 pm »
[snapback]255156[/snapback]

For something that happened four days ago?  A little late, are we?

Elizabeth Rose

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 12:26:01 pm »
No one's flaming anyway.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2005, 07:47:14 pm »
[snapback]255156[/snapback]

Ty isn't flaming. Heck, I say worse things to myself.

"Kevin! You're so stupid!"

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2005, 09:32:17 pm »
You haven't seen flaming yet... trust me ;-)

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2005, 11:44:59 pm »
Oh? I thought everyone was lashing out at eachother. ^_^;

super_sayian_spongebob

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 08:44:41 pm »
A fetus developes, is made of cells, and conains DNA, therfore IT IS HUMAN AND ALIVE.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 02:29:32 pm »
If I tore off a sheet of my skin, it would be made of cells, contain DNA, and it would continue to grow if given the right nutrients.  Does that mean it's human?

Lil Loco

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 02:54:07 pm »
while he sorta gave a bad example...the skin cellz would stop multiplying and die off.

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:27 pm »
This thread is disgusting. The theories and flat out cold comments in this thread tell me that you guys arent mature enough to be discussing this. I wish people would throw out their biology text books and grow hearts. A fetus is a living being. Whether it is a born child or a developing one. No one deserves to die based on their living conditions. Whether living on machines or in perfect health. No one has the right to say who should live or who should die and under what circumstances that decision should be made. You know what? If you had a heart attack and someone had to put you on life support, would you want someone to say "they're on a machine. They deserve to die." Its pretty easy to say that sitting in your chair, stuffing your face with food and watching TV knowing you will wake up tomorrow and go about life. At least thats what you expect. You know what? Science is flawed. You know why? Because everytime I turn around they have a new theory about something because they couldnt prove the last one. Until I see someone make Laws not theories about God and other things I'm disregarding it as trash because they cant prove a damn thing about any of that.

Banana

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2005, 01:41:49 pm »
This thread is disgusting. The theories and flat out cold comments in this thread tell me that you guys arent mature enough to be discussing this. I wish people would throw out their biology text books and grow hearts. A fetus is a living being. Whether it is a born child or a developing one. No one deserves to die based on their living conditions. Whether living on machines or in perfect health. No one has the right to say who should live or who should die and under what circumstances that decision should be made. You know what? If you had a heart attack and someone had to put you on life support, would you want someone to say "they're on a machine. They deserve to die." Its pretty easy to say that sitting in your chair, stuffing your face with food and watching TV knowing you will wake up tomorrow and go about life. At least thats what you expect. You know what? Science is flawed. You know why? Because everytime I turn around they have a new theory about something because they couldnt prove the last one. Until I see someone make Laws not theories about God and other things I'm disregarding it as trash because they cant prove a ::Dolphin Noise:: thing about any of that.
[snapback]256189[/snapback]

AMEN!!

-Banana

super_sayian_spongebob

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 06:17:34 pm »
Well that's how my biology teacher taught us that a fetus is human.

super_sayian_spongebob

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 06:17:37 pm »
But the cells contain 46 chromosomes, which ultimately makes us all human.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:18:36 pm by super_sayian_spongebob »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2005, 06:20:47 pm »
This thread is disgusting. The theories and flat out cold comments in this thread tell me that you guys arent mature enough to be discussing this. I wish people would throw out their biology text books and grow hearts. A fetus is a living being. Whether it is a born child or a developing one. No one deserves to die based on their living conditions. Whether living on machines or in perfect health. No one has the right to say who should live or who should die and under what circumstances that decision should be made. You know what? If you had a heart attack and someone had to put you on life support, would you want someone to say "they're on a machine. They deserve to die." Its pretty easy to say that sitting in your chair, stuffing your face with food and watching TV knowing you will wake up tomorrow and go about life. At least thats what you expect. You know what? Science is flawed. You know why? Because everytime I turn around they have a new theory about something because they couldnt prove the last one. Until I see someone make Laws not theories about God and other things I'm disregarding it as trash because they cant prove a ::Dolphin Noise:: thing about any of that.
[snapback]256189[/snapback]

AMEN!!

-Banana
[snapback]256994[/snapback]

DOUBLE AMEN

SpongeBass GuitarPants

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 10:28:22 pm »
A fetus is an indeveloped human, but it is not a person until it is born.

People can say otherwise, but that was just my point, I don't speak for the whole world.

EDIT: Whoops! I was talking about embryo's! ^_^;
[snapback]242474[/snapback]
I've never met a human who is not a person, what do they look like? have you ever met a human that is not a person?
 :huh:

sponge monkey100

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 09:55:09 am »
richard stop bring up old topics