Author Topic: What is the main reason for obesity in children?  (Read 10870 times)

Snowthrower

What is the main reason for obesity in children?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 07:37:41 pm »
Parents and kids are the main reason why obesity is so high. Companies aren't responsible for the obesity. Its up to the parents to say 'no', the companies shouldnt be responsible for it.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:10 am »
WESTERN INFLUENCE.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

carterhawk

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 02:50:08 am »
WESTERN INFLUENCE.
[snapback]287161[/snapback]

west of what? from where im sitting asia is the far west, im the west, the east is new york and the far east is europe :p

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 08:55:11 am »
WESTERN INFLUENCE.
[snapback]287161[/snapback]

west of what? from where im sitting asia is the far west, im the west, the east is new york and the far east is europe :p
[snapback]287168[/snapback]
This is a debate den. Stop trying to make a joke/be funny

Offline Squiddy

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Cybernations
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 09:13:04 am »
Obesity will always be a problem, even if you clean up the lunch programs and other things. The point is that if unhealthy choices are there, there will be obesity.

bub1028

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 01:33:43 pm »
Food is a problem.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 01:22:10 am »
People are not aware of how many added calories they are eating. Sure, we all eat McDonalds every now and then and buy our favourite candy, but there are other factors too. Random things you eat around your house adds up too. A lot of every day food and drinks are giving you more fat/calories then your body needs, and you aren't even aware you are inhailing them.

Another big factor: TV AND THE INTERNET. A lot of kids sit infront of one of these boxes for endless hours out of the day and get no exercise, or very litte. If we didn't have these, people would go outside more often and play a sport or two.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 07:17:14 pm »
Well said Oscar. Video games, internet,tv (which i dont find very entertaining as i do the internet) and other things contribute as well.

YOu cant blame McDonalds for making you fat, you blame yourself for not getting off your lazy fat @ss and doing something. I know i'm lazy and a little bit over weight and its because eim not doing what im saying. But i wouldnt be as heavy if i had done excerise and aate healthier all the time. I do excerise though. Thats probably why im not as heavy as i should be, i should be about50 pounds heavier if i didnt excersie. The fact that kids grow up thinking skinny is the best is also kind ofmean, but yet people are supposed to look average or normal, not like big fat lard balls that sit and eat all day. I mean im a little bit overweight  and people think i may not be as attractive as if im thinner. But if more people had a healthier lifestyle, not only would they feel better about their apperance, but they would be healthier as well. No one can and should blame fast food for making you fat, blame yourself if you have to blame someone.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Now that were men

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 05:33:20 am »
You can blame Mc.donalads for making you fat, but it won't get you anywhere...People have to be responcable for there own bodys.

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 08:22:43 pm »
Getting the children outside would help quite a bit. Hell, if I wasn't so addicted to skating, I'd probably weigh 40% more than I do now.

ernest310

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:57 am »
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the TV issues.  What spongemonkey13 said it absolutely the issue.  I'm thinking of Patrick (in MMBB4) when he's talking about "wumbo," and he says, "It's first grade, Spongebob."

"There are more calories being consumed than burned off."  That's it, right there.  Now the specific reasons for why most of us reside in a nation (the US) where this is so often the case is another argument entirely.  Speaking on the surface of things, if you consume more calories than you burn off, you gain weight.  That simple.

Of course, we likewise have to add in other factors (the slowing of metabolism that tends to happen with age, the unhealthiness of the calories we do consume, little kids having less say in what they eat, etc.)

But most of the previous posters have hit the socio-cultural issues that contribute to the problem.  Indeed, we are responsible for what we eat, but we still have to place such actions in the matrix of the sheer availability and convenience of fast food as well as the matter of corporate profit (McD's is out to make a buck, not worry about your health, as the documentary Super-Size Me demonstrated.)

Speaking of Super-Size Me, it is an interesting book and documentary (can't recall if they have the same name.)  Again, I've forgotten the title, but there's actually another book out there that refutes the conclusions that guy reaches (the guy who only ate McD's for a month.)  I'm not sure what her conclusion was (I'm pretty sure it was a woman who wrote the rebuttal.)

But in the end, I do have to say that I subscribe to what Lil Loco said: "yea, im 320 pounds cuz mcdonalds force-fed burgers down my throat and i had no say it."  In the end, what we eat is truly our decision.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 01:11:08 pm »
Speaking of Super-Size Me, it is an interesting book and documentary (can't recall if they have the same name.)  Again, I've forgotten the title, but there's actually another book out there that refutes the conclusions that guy reaches (the guy who only ate McD's for a month.)  I'm not sure what her conclusion was (I'm pretty sure it was a woman who wrote the rebuttal.)
[snapback]287741[/snapback]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Size_Me...tal_experiments :)

Lil Loco

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 01:29:26 pm »
lol...thats why the supersize me video aint as trustworthy as they try to make it.

ernest310

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 12:57:46 pm »
I liked this quote near the end of the wikipedia piece:

NOTE: Weight loss is automatically achieved by expending more energy than is consumed in the diet. This can be done by decreasing total calorie consumption and/or by increasing physical activity.

Wow, there's been lots of rebuttal experiments.  I'm pretty sure one of those was turned into the book I mentioned earlier.

super_sayian_spongebob

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 06:30:45 am »
Fast food and TV.