Poll

Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?

Yes
No
Other (requires an explination)

Author Topic: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?  (Read 47400 times)

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Re: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2006, 08:02:08 pm »
Where did the kid get money for a $50 game? how did he get to the store on his own? why arent his parents teaching him its wrong to lie? Where are they when he is playing the game? Why dont they talk to the parents of friends when he goes to a friends house? How come they arent doing the occasional check between the matresses for contraband like M rated games?

Shall I continue?
This is all about parental responsibility. The ratings are there, there reviews are all over the internet, and the back of the box will have a description of exactly what is being bought. Its the parents who just buy whatever their kid asks for without investigating ,and lets their kid play alone in their room for hours on end, never checking on them, that is to blame for the behavior of their offspring.

When a child commits a crime, its the fault of the parents for not being there and for not raising their kid right.
I have to say, this is one of the very few times I have agreed with you.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006, 08:55:15 pm »
Where did the kid get money for a $50 game? how did he get to the store on his own? why arent his parents teaching him its wrong to lie? Where are they when he is playing the game? Why dont they talk to the parents of friends when he goes to a friends house? How come they arent doing the occasional check between the matresses for contraband like M rated games?

Shall I continue?
This is all about parental responsibility. The ratings are there, there reviews are all over the internet, and the back of the box will have a description of exactly what is being bought. Its the parents who just buy whatever their kid asks for without investigating ,and lets their kid play alone in their room for hours on end, never checking on them, that is to blame for the behavior of their offspring.

When a child commits a crime, its the fault of the parents for not being there and for not raising their kid right.

I still dont.

There was a CSI or Law and Order thing on tv about something like this. The kid made straight A's ,respected his parents, teachers, elders, always obeyed. And the parents checked everything he did, but the kid found ways to hide a videogame and a website that was teaching him to make a bomb, and finally he made it, brought it to the school and blew it up because this game consumed his life pretty much. He used the fact of being an excellent student to help his story back him up on how he would never do such a thing. Parents can be top secrete security gaurds and still not find anything.

Its not just the parents fault, if a kid wants to do something, wel hell he will do it. Im just like that. They can punish me all they want and i will still do what they dont want me to.

Its not just the parents to blame, its the child themself as well.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2006, 09:36:25 pm »

Shall I continue?

I still dont.

There was a CSI or Law and Order thing on tv about something like this. The kid made straight A's ,respected his parents, teachers, elders, always obeyed. And the parents checked everything he did, but the kid found ways to hide a videogame and a website that was teaching him to make a bomb, and finally he made it, brought it to the school and blew it up because this game consumed his life pretty much. He used the fact of being an excellent student to help his story back him up on how he would never do such a thing. Parents can be top secrete security gaurds and still not find anything.

Its not just the parents fault, if a kid wants to do something, wel hell he will do it. Im just like that. They can punish me all they want and i will still do what they dont want me to.

Children are irresponsible little poopheads.

And if he had enough time to become completely hooked on it, then his parents were't watching him close enough.

Sb129

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2006, 10:19:53 pm »
No, only a retard would say "Hmm, I sure do love this game! Let me go out & shoot aliens!" or for GTA "Yo! This game is rockin' yo! Let me go mug some *dolphin noise* Yo!" Of course the GTA thing really happens.  :rolleyes:

carterhawk

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2006, 11:50:03 pm »

Shall I continue?

I still dont.

Fear mongering by the media, sensationalist melodrama. Whatever show you saw simply took the lies the conservative media would spread and created a dramatization. Unless this kid was hiding both the video game and the bomb down his pants, his parents would have caught on were they truly as attentive as the show portrayed them. If you could get me an episode name I would be rather interested in watching this program for myself, so that I can decide for myself how far the show is realy bending reality. I generaly dont watch the news on television because those people are generaly full of it and only out for ratings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoned_candy_scare for example, is a case of the media using scare tactics to get ratings and harm the public view of a very popular and very safe tradition.

The one thing we can be thankful for these days is that some of those kids who are planning to do something horrific like shoot up their school are dumb enough to post videos of their weaponry on YouTube and the like.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2006, 04:41:13 am »
No, only a retard would say "Hmm, I sure do love this game! Let me go out & shoot aliens!" or for GTA "Yo! This game is rockin' yo! Let me go mug some *dolphin noise* Yo!" Of course the GTA thing really happens.  :rolleyes:

It happens mainly among adults than anyone else...yet the government are saying that it's a bad influence on kids....
The only games I can think of that will set bad examples on kids are those 'war games' and 'racing games'.
Some idiotic 8 year old down my street stole his dads car and crashed it...he said he wanted to race his friend like in the videogame 'GrandPrix Racer 2000' or something.
Kids can be just as responsible as the parents.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2006, 08:57:03 am »

Shall I continue?

I still dont.

Oh yeah, because you can believe everything the TV says, I have had a change of mind.

Sb129

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2006, 09:53:54 am »

It happens mainly among adults than anyone else...yet the government are saying that it's a bad influence on kids....
The only games I can think of that will set bad examples on kids are those 'war games' and 'racing games'.
Some idiotic 8 year old down my street stole his dads car and crashed it...he said he wanted to race his friend like in the videogame 'GrandPrix Racer 2000' or something.
Wow. That kid has mental problems. Of course it's also the parent's fault for not putting the keys out of his reach.
Yeah I agree with adults, but the adults are influeincing kids.
War games can be a good thing, teaching kids how to fight in war & all. But of course if it's not in a war zone it's bad.

spongebobnet

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2006, 09:58:25 am »

Wow. That kid has mental problems. Of course it's also the parent's fault for not putting the keys out of his reach.
War games can be a good thing, teaching kids how to fight in war & all. But of course if it's not in a war zone it's bad.
no,it's parents faualt for not teaching the kid of whats right or wrong.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2006, 11:06:58 am »

Actually, a parent can teach a child EVERYTHING they can about right/wrong...but the child needs to actually have the ability to destinguish (sp?) right/wrong by themselves....and since this generation is lazy, they don't do it and expect everyone to take the blame for their mistakes.
Children who do this should be punished, something so severe that it will force them to never do it again.
Like taking the Tv away from them would be a good start.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

spongebobnet

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2006, 12:12:55 pm »

Actually, a parent can teach a child EVERYTHING they can about right/wrong...but the child needs to actually have the ability to destinguish (sp?) right/wrong by themselves....and since this generation is lazy, they don't do it and expect everyone to take the blame for their mistakes.
Children who do this should be punished, something so severe that it will force them to never do it again.
the belt is more easier.My mom and dad does it all the time and i obey.

carterhawk

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:39 pm »

You might want them to ease off on that a bit, it seems to be rattling your brain....

spongebobnet

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2006, 01:51:31 pm »

You might want them to ease off on that a bit, it seems to be rattling your brain....
no,they don't do it.They just say it and i get scare.Then they yell at me loud D:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:54:32 pm by spongebobnet »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2006, 03:13:18 pm »
ASE, i'm suprised that you're not a fan of the belt...

Getting my butt beat when I was rebellious (ex. I threw a lamp once) was definently a good thing.

Too bad parents can't do it nowadays, or their 5 yr old son/daughter will sue them. Forget child protection...they'd need parent protection...

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2006, 04:00:11 pm »
I'm not sure if I've actually contributed to this topic, and I'm not going to start looking, either. So, I'll put my $.02 in...

I think video games can have a good/bad effect on kids these days. It just depends on what kind of game they buy.

If they buy some violence game, they'll end up saying, or imitating, some of the things that were in that game (punisher, resident evil, etc) when they go to school or wherever. Now, if they were to buy some learning games (The Learning Company, (Treasure Cove, SpellBound, etc) LeapFrog, etc) then, no, there is no bad influence there.

It's the parents that should be the blame for not looking into what type of games they are getting for their kids. Yes, I'm sure they are not 'hip' on todays technology/games, but they need to start studying, or playing to get the feel of what kind of games their son/daughter is intereted in these days, and then they can tell their kids that they need to think more positive on what games they can get for a present/prize.

Perhaps, they need to make a rule or some sort of agreement about when or what they buy. Maybe tell them if they buy a violent game, they need to play more of a learning/fun type of game more. Have the kids play 1-2 hours of the fun game then when they are done with that, have them play 30 minutes (no more than that) of the violent game. I know that still seems they are giving bad influence but it gives them more 'freedom'...I guess... <.<;;