Author Topic: Christians  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Christians
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:43:49 am »
I'm a christian, but I have always been told that "The Bible was written many many years ago, things have changed, so believe what you want to believe." And I follow that. But now I hear that if you do not follow the bible fully and correctly, you're a bad christian. Am I a bad christian because I believe in gay marriage? Abortion?

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Re: Christians
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:08:12 am »
I'm a christian, but I have always been told that "The Bible was written many many years ago, things have changed, so believe what you want to believe." And I follow that. But now I hear that if you do not follow the bible fully and correctly, you're a bad christian. Am I a bad christian because I believe in gay marriage? Abortion?

No, you're not a bad christian.
You are entitled to your own opinions and beleifs, no book/person/thing can change that.  :wub:
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:59:19 am »
I believe in gay marraige but I don't believe in abortion. Abortion is murder.

But I still respect your opinion, scilla.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:17:26 pm »
I think you're fine. (even though I used to be jewish and am now agnostic so i dont have much of a clue about the subject) A belief is a belief and if it's yours than you can't change that because it's wrong.
All Time

Weekly

Offline Spider-Boogie

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://allyour.basearebelongto.us/setting-up/bombs.html
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:55:02 am »

No. I'm very open about stuff like that, so I agree with you.
April Fool: I'm the April Fool. What's up with that?
Timmy: It's official, this guy sucks. I wish he was somewhere else!
*Poof!*
Timmy: Where'd you guys poof him to?
*Both fairies give evil smiles*
April Fool: I never asked for this!
Jorgen: Shut up, or I'll have Chuck Norris roundhouse kick you in the face again!

Rachel is my USB wife <3
Vicky is also my USB wife <3

Patback399

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:33:23 am »
No, you're all going to hell.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »
I am not a religous person so I am not certain if my opinion counts on this subject but I'll give you my two cents anyways. Do you think you are a bad Christian? In your mind when you read the bible did you feel like you were a bad Christian for not agreeing with everything the bible said? If not and it's just someone else saying it makes you a "bad" Christian then screw their opinion. You can have your version of faith and they can have theirs.

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:19:45 am »
I think I'll be the odd man out and disagree.. Why would God give us the Bible and say "Do not add or take away from this book," and then after a few years change His mind and say, "Eh, what the hey... Do whatever you feel like.." Homosexuality and murder are both clearly defined as sins in the Bible, and I can guarantee God's opinions on either issue haven't changed a bit over the course of time.

Patback399

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:43:55 am »
I think I'll be the odd man out and disagree.. Why would God give us the Bible and say "Do not add or take away from this book," and then after a few years change His mind and say, "Eh, what the hey... Do whatever you feel like.." Homosexuality and murder are both clearly defined as sins in the Bible, and I can guarantee God's opinions on either issue haven't changed a bit over the course of time.

When the HELL did he say that?

Offline Spider-Boogie

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://allyour.basearebelongto.us/setting-up/bombs.html
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 08:52:32 pm »

When the HELL did he say that?

Good question.
April Fool: I'm the April Fool. What's up with that?
Timmy: It's official, this guy sucks. I wish he was somewhere else!
*Poof!*
Timmy: Where'd you guys poof him to?
*Both fairies give evil smiles*
April Fool: I never asked for this!
Jorgen: Shut up, or I'll have Chuck Norris roundhouse kick you in the face again!

Rachel is my USB wife <3
Vicky is also my USB wife <3

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 09:15:05 pm »

nice to see some diversity. i think i agree with you more than anyone else, actually. :S

Patback399

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 05:53:27 am »
I still want to see the quote in which God lays out all the books of the Bible, and then says, "Don't change this."

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 09:46:56 am »
I always thought I heard something in there that said that, but I cannot recall where it was...

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 07:29:31 pm »
Well, technically that was a paraphrase, but it was based on Revelation 22:18-19:

18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Also:

Deuteronomy 4:2

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Proverbs 30:5-6

Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him. Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

I have to be honest and say I didn't know exactly where the verses were found in the Bible, but I knew there was at least one within the confines of Revelation.
Anyway, I hope that helps.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
Deuteronomy 4:2 was the one that i was thinking of...

Patback399

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 03:35:02 pm »
Well, technically that was a paraphrase, but it was based on Revelation 22:18-19:

18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

This is in reference to Revelations, not the entire Bible.

How could something in the Bible tell you not to add or take away anything from the Bible, if the book in which it was written hadn't itself been added! The books were written before they were compiled into the Bible.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
Which then brings about the question of the supposed sections that were knocked out of the bible...didn't we have a debate about that before?

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 07:53:38 pm »

This is in reference to Revelations, not the entire Bible.

How could something in the Bible tell you not to add or take away anything from the Bible, if the book in which it was written hadn't itself been added! The books were written before they were compiled into the Bible.

I will agree, all of the books themselves hadn't been written yet, and I'll admit my original paraphrase was poorly worded. In fact I'm having a hard time wording what I'm wanting to say next- I know what it is, but I can't think of the words to use to get my point across...

I guess what I want to say is that, yes, in the time of the Deuteronomy passage, God's word was not fully complete- He said not to add to or take away from His word, but that didn't mean that we couldn't add to the Bible that which was Divinely inspired by Him- That being His words, not ours... However, by humans changing God's word
without any sort of Divine Inspiration, and instead because it happens merely to suit their fancy- That is what these passages refer to, and that is what we are doing when we change God's word under the pretense that it is "obsolete."

In short, God wanted us to complete His word, but commanded us not to change what He said unless He commanded it to be changed.

I hope that all made sense... It did in my mind, but I don't always have an easy time transferring thoughts into writing.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 08:05:50 pm »
It's been a while since anyone has apparently been as such divinely inspired :/

We got the Old Testament and the New Testament....

Everyone knows that ALL good series are trilogies.....