Author Topic: Racial Stereotypes  (Read 9133 times)

Dragon Of Grief

Racial Stereotypes
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:27:52 pm »
I had a conversation with someone on AIM and it got me thinking. Why are there racial stereotypes? I myself have troubles with these once in awhile. I myself have mostly german and Swedish heritage. SOmetimes people call me a "Dirty German Nazi". I also get called a Yank soemtimes because I was born in the New England states. But why are there such hurtful stereotypes? And what are your similar experiences?  

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 06:32:57 pm »
Beleve me, no one knows this more then I. I am mixed, white and black, so most people think I;m a freak. I dont know why, but they do. Its easy for me to make friends, but I hate that everytime my friends see a black person, they say, "Hey, is that y our mom?" or "Hey, do you know that person?" And alot of people expct things out of you. They expect you to be a ganster, or whatever. I dunno. It really sucks.I'm mixed. Everytime I tell someone that they say, oh, Hispanic and black. No. Asian and black? No. WHITE AND BLACK. Some of my teachers actually hated me because, not only did my parents have me out of wedlock, but it was interracial. Yea.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:34:38 pm by squidward400 »

Megan

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 06:51:34 pm »
Racism is dumb. When you are buying a new puppy, you don't go, "Oh, that thing is a labrador, stay away. Stick with the Collies." Do ya?? Dumb as dumb gets. People just are so stupid to not see that everyone is that same, just with unique looks and personalities.

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 07:27:18 pm »
Beleve me, no one knows this more then I. I am mixed, white and black, so most people think I;m a freak. I dont know why, but they do. Its easy for me to make friends, but I hate that everytime my friends see a black person, they say, "Hey, is that y our mom?" or "Hey, do you know that person?" And alot of people expct things out of you. They expect you to be a ganster, or whatever. I dunno. It really sucks.I'm mixed. Everytime I tell someone that they say, oh, Hispanic and black. No. Asian and black? No. WHITE AND BLACK. Some of my teachers actually hated me because, not only did my parents have me out of wedlock, but it was interracial. Yea.
Yeah people are morons. People dont talk about my heritage too much. I'm half  Italian and half German. No one notices, though. They just tell me how short I am. The one that gets me is "goth". I've heard that OVER and OVER. I'm not goth. They just think so because of the way I dress. Stereotypes can burn in you know where for all I care. The worst is when people label themselves!!

You know 400, if your teachers say anything, rascal you can report it. Thats what I'd do.  

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 10:15:42 am »
Oops, I misread the title of the thread, sorry. :sleep:

MiraclrPlz

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:24:47 pm »
I agree prejudice isn't good.  

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 03:03:11 pm »
The one that gets me is "goth". I've heard that OVER and OVER. I'm not goth. They just think so because of the way I dress. Stereotypes can burn in you know where for all I care. The worst is when people label themselves!!
I know. People do that to me too. Last year people always used to call me goth or punk rock girl.

...I am really getting into punk rock, but still. They knew nothing about what type of music I listened to.

Also, I know this one girl at my school. She's cool, and sometimes she hangs out with me and my friends after lunch. She's black, and what really bugs her is that people expect her to act all gangsta/ghetto-fabolous. But she's not. She skates. She doesn't buy her clothes from the mall. She dresses "alternatively" if you will, and she gets really ::Dolphin Noise::ed off when people make fun of her for not "acting black". I don't blame her. I hate racial stereotypes.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 03:16:18 pm »
When you are buying a new puppy, you don't go, "Oh, that thing is a labrador, stay away. Stick with the Collies." Do ya?? Dumb as dumb gets. People just are so stupid to not see that everyone is that same, just with unique looks and personalities.
Um, actually, my family only buys blood and walker hounds. They're sweeter.

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 02:05:02 pm »
i hate stereotypes in general. who are you to tell me what i should look like or act like? i hate when people judge you like that

Dragon Of Grief

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 05:24:21 pm »
Well, the thing about me being called a German Nazi is I am more Swedish then German. My grandparents are both Swedish, and my gramma is a full blooded Swede.

spongehead 32

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 03:06:56 am »
well lets see

mostly on chats people treat me like a posh git or like someone who looks down their nose at them cause of thouse 3 little words I say to them when they ask me

"I am english"

its not very offten but it dose happen, realy anoying,

though it isnt often

though, there was this one kid when I was younger who was prity racist in a different kind of way

I just started middle school (I think you call if Jr high school) at the time and I was friends with theese to kids, they where black but it didnt realy matter, one of thouse kids brother told me to stop being friends with them, I asked them why and he said I wasnt like them that they spoke diferent languages as well as english, they had different skin and that people like me arnt alowed to be friends with them

I didnt know why but know I think its because people have been racist to that boy so often that he thinks thats how it should stay

strange isnt it

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
That is very strange...I don't ever really recall that happening to anyone I know. And we call it middle school here too :)

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 02:41:15 pm »
Also, I know this one girl at my school. She's cool, and sometimes she hangs out with me and my friends after lunch. She's black, and what really bugs her is that people expect her to act all gangsta/ghetto-fabolous. But she's not. She skates. She doesn't buy her clothes from the mall. She dresses "alternatively" if you will, and she gets really ::Dolphin Noise::ed off when people make fun of her for not "acting black". I don't blame her. I hate racial stereotypes.
Same with me. A couple days ago, my friend tole me I should be more black. I dont care. Yea, I can skate, and I CAN rap. So what? I'm just special.

Fifth Dynasty

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 02:45:07 pm »
I HATE it when people think all African-American's smoke weed and all that crap. I also hate it when people hate Homosexuals. I ALSO hate when people don't like big people. I generally don't really like being around big-ger people, but I hate it when people say 'oh they're fat, they eat too much' when that's not always the case.z I'm pretty Stereotypical, but some sterotypes bug the shiz outta me

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 02:47:59 pm »
I HATE it when people think all African-American's smoke weed and all that crap. I also hate it when people hate Homosexuals. I ALSO hate when people don't like big people. I generally don't really like being around big-ger people, but I hate it when people say 'oh they're fat, they eat too much' when that's not always the case.z I'm pretty Stereotypical, but some sterotypes bug the shiz outta me
I agree. I hate homophobes. If people say a degrading comment about gays and how they should be killed or whatever...I will jump on their back. I cannot stand it. And just because people are "fat" doesn't mean they eat too much...it doesn't mean they're lazy. Some people just canNOT lose weight.  

Dragon Of Grief

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 05:35:10 pm »
Most people can, Hannah. Most people just choose not to. And when they do lose weight it is because of vanity issueas rather then realizing it is dangerous to be very heavy. My father is almost 400 lbs. But he won't do anything about it. He got that way from bad habits, but he just sits on his but all day not doing a dang thing. Now who's fault is it? I udnerstand it is hard, but you should at least try, yah know?

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 06:18:11 am »
Why are there racial stereotypes?
Because people are stupid, period

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 06:15:18 pm »
Most people can, Hannah. Most people just choose not to. And when they do lose weight it is because of vanity issueas rather then realizing it is dangerous to be very heavy. My father is almost 400 lbs. But he won't do anything about it. He got that way from bad habits, but he just sits on his but all day not doing a dang thing. Now who's fault is it? I udnerstand it is hard, but you should at least try, yah know?
I know that most people can. All I was saying was that some people can't.  

Patrick_Star's_Girlfriend

Racial Stereotypes
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 06:41:50 pm »
The one that gets me is "goth". I've heard that OVER and OVER. I'm not goth. They just think so because of the way I dress. Stereotypes can burn in you know where for all I care. The worst is when people label themselves!!
I know. People do that to me too. Last year people always used to call me goth or punk rock girl.

...I am really getting into punk rock, but still. They knew nothing about what type of music I listened to.

I know what you mean. Today if your black your supossed to listen to rap or if you white you supossed to listen to rock. I'm getting really tried of these stereotypes and i hope it doesn't last for long.