Author Topic: Pope John Paul II dies at 84  (Read 13112 times)

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Pope John Paul II dies at 84
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2005, 08:18:15 pm »
Timo, I forgive you because I know you don't know what you're saying.  And the pope would have forgiven you.
[snapback]166688[/snapback]

I know what I'm saying because I said it to you :P

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2005, 08:19:56 pm »
Dude. It wasnt you that took it serious, it was MSP. When we hav e a conversation we'll see how it ends up. Till then, lets just drop it ^_^

So kidding around is illegal too now?
[snapback]166687[/snapback]

I take it very seriously. Not in the same way that MSP does. See if you can figure it out.

Your problem is that you never know when you might offend someone. The fact that you were messing around does not change a single thing.

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 08:21:56 pm »
His Holiness Pope John Paul II, born Karol Józef Wojtyła ( Polish pronunciation?.), (May 18, 1920 – April 2, 2005) was Pope, Bishop of Rome, and head of the Roman Catholic Church from October 16, 1978 until his death.

John Paul II was chosen for the papacy on October 16, 1978, becoming the first non-Italian pope in 455 years and the first of Slavic origin in the history of the Church. He crusaded against communism, unbridled capitalism and political oppression. He stood firmly against abortion and defended the Church's more traditional approach to human sexuality.

His more than 100 trips abroad attracted enormous crowds (among them some of the largest ever assembled in human history). With these trips, John Paul covered a distance far greater than that traveled by all other popes combined. They have been seen as an outward sign of the efforts at global bridge-building between nations and between religions that have been central to his pontificate.

Pope John Paul II beatified and canonized far more persons than any previous pope. It is reported that as of October 2004, he had beatified 1,340 people. Whether he had canonized more saints than all his predecessors put together, as is sometimes claimed, is difficult to prove, as the records of many early canonizations are incomplete, missing or inaccurate.

On March 14, 2004, his pontificate overtook Leo XIII's as the third-longest pontificate in the history of the Papacy (after Pius IX and St Peter). The length of his reign is in marked contrast with that of his predecessor Pope John Paul I, who died suddenly after only 33 days in office (and in whose memory John Paul II named himself).

Pope John Paul II died after a long fight against Parkinson's disease, amongst other illnesses, on April 2, 2005. His funeral is expected to take place on Thursday April 7, 2005. In his last message to the youth of the world, he said: "I came for you, now it's you who have come to me. I thank you."

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2005, 08:23:11 pm »
MSP, my friend Bryan Fryman wrote this eulogy. I thought you might like it.

The news came in 6 hours ago that Pope John Paul II, the 264th head of the Roman Catholic Church, has passed away.

According to Catholic Tradition, the papal funeral will take place within 4-6 days of the pontiff's death, followed by a 9 day mourning period. After that time, the College of Cardinals will convene at the Vatican to deliberate and elect the new Pope. Within several months, the new Pope will be coronated and take office at the Holy See.

Catholic, Non-Catholic, or even Ex-Catholic, it is very difficult to deny the greatness of John Paul II's papacy. In his time as head of the Church, he helped defeat communism in Poland and Eastern Europe, and has been an unwavering proponent of the poor and the downtrodden across the planet. He has also reached out to young Catholics across the world by establishing World Youth Day. This is one of the many examples of how John Paul II made efforts to unite the Church by its people's faith in Christ and Catholicism's central teachings, rather than focus on their dissenting opinions.

Although his stances toward a progressive Catholicism that would include a female priesthood and a different teaching towards homosexuality or contraception were conservative, Pope John Paul II led his life in the service of God, and with the best intentions for humanity at heart. He has acted like a father to his children, guiding them toward what is right, yet at the same time allowing them to follow their own path towards God.

To many, John Paul II was the only pope Catholics have known or can remember, and to see their beloved spiritual leader pass into the hands of God will be both sorrowful, and joyous.

While John Paul II had critics throughout his papal life, he was never called a hypocrite, an opportunist, or even a politician (despite the fact that he is a Head of State). He truly lived the Gospel in his everyday life, and held the teachings of Jesus as paramount to how people lead their lives. And yet, he was simply a Child of God, and viewed each and every one of us the same way.

John Paul II has been such a child of God, in fact, that he was the first pope since St. Peter visit a synagogue, and during his papacy he made unprecedented progress towards reaching out to other major world religions. Among is other accomplishments as pontiff are that he was the first non-Italian pope in 455 years, is the first Slavic Pope, was the youngest Cardinal elected pope since 1846, is the third longest-reigning pontiff, had canonized more saints than all of the previous popes combined, and is history's most travelled Vicar of Christ.

There is wide speculation that the next pope will not be European; among the prime "candidates" for the papacy are cardinals from Africa and Asia, where the Church is rapidly growing in numbers. Whether or not progessive changes will come to Catholicism remains to be determined.

The challenges the 265th pope will face are the challenges facing the world of the 21st century, such as increasing secularization across Europe, and the growing need to update the Church while still staying true to its spiritual principles, not to mention filling the shoes of a truly great predecessor.

I ask all of you to join me in remembering the life of the 20th Century's greatest pope; may his life forever be remembered for his loving kindness towards mankind, and his humble service to God.

As is customary at Mass, Peace be with you all.

Bry-Fry, Life-long Catholic

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2005, 08:23:43 pm »
Dude. It wasnt you that took it serious, it was MSP. When we hav e a conversation we'll see how it ends up. Till then, lets just drop it ^_^

I take it very seriously. Not in the same way that MSP does. See if you can figure it out.

Your problem is that you never know when you might offend someone. The fact that you were messing around does not change a single thing.
[snapback]166692[/snapback]

I'm gonna take this offensively. Is that ok?

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2005, 08:34:43 pm »

want some spam with that? sorry but you guys have been going at it for a while and it is annoying some of nicole's personalites...wait ALL. who cares about all of this anymore if you are just going to go off topic. i have noticed a lot of this today and i want us to all remember that this united spongebob forums not united spambob forums. geez sorry to go off like this but i think that theres at least one member that agrees with me.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 08:35:39 pm by spongemonkey13 »

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2005, 08:36:41 pm »

[snapback]166692[/snapback]

I'm gonna take this offensively. Is that ok?
[snapback]166699[/snapback]

Stop striving to be acrimonious and jocular. You're abhorrent at it.

EDIT: ssj4gojita has been really bothering me today, but you're right, we've been going off-topic, and I admit that our scuffles have played some part in that. Next time I'll PM him.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 08:38:25 pm by Jackie-Boy »

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2005, 09:04:44 pm »
So respecting opinions is out of the question now?

Any idea on who the next pope is??

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2005, 09:08:47 pm »
So respecting opinions is out of the question now?

Who are you to talk about respecting people's opinions? The argument stops right here, right now. We've taken this thread to a plce where it doesn't need to be.

Any idea on who the next pope is??
[snapback]166758[/snapback]

I think they're still deciding, but from what I hear, he'll probably be Irish.

No lie.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2005, 09:12:17 pm »
Wow. I say one thing and you just flame right back at me. When you respect my opinions, I will respect yours. Simple.

On-topic: Was Pop #2 Irish? Is there a trend on how they pick the next one?