Author Topic: Don't get sattelite radio  (Read 2346 times)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Don't get sattelite radio
« on: May 07, 2005, 08:31:49 pm »
Once they get nationwide wireless DSL (or whatever they were talking about when I watched the stocks channel this morning), we could just use some form of internet radio. Just plug a palm pilot into your car stereo and open up your  internet radio links.

Why doesn't somebody start working on these great ideas?

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 06:02:10 pm »
Nobody works on them because they're impractical.

DSL prices are too high for the average consumer, there is no way they could make money from it.  

Anyway, services like XM and Sirius don't have downtime like a lot of internet radio stations.  If a server crashes, bye bye music.  The only way a satellite radio company has downtime is if their satellite dies, which is more unlikely than a server crash.

I'd say satellite radio will be around for more than 5 years, and even if it's not, why wait?  When you want something good and are willing to pay for it, you want it now, not 5 years from now.

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:19:55 pm »
Most Internet radio stations I use are unreliable or boring. Plus, you have to pay a "premium" fee to get the exact music you want. As for the palm pilot thing, they'd hook those up to some major network like satellite radio. I personally wouldn't buy it. DSL isnt all its cracked up to be. And wont this thing get Virus' like all computers hooked up to the internet can? I like the idea of satellite radio.