Author Topic: Displaying Ten Commandements in Public  (Read 27788 times)

Eva:Gina

Displaying Ten Commandements in Public
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2005, 10:25:10 pm »
Why do you need them displayed anyway? Shouldn't you already know them?

It's the commandments like "You shall have no other gods besides Me" that make me disagree with posting it in public. You're basically spitting in the face of every other religion.
[snapback]203085[/snapback]
If you're going with that argument then you're saying signs shouldn't be up during elections, either.
[snapback]203099[/snapback]
that bush got through, despite his barbaric behaviour and racism, just cos hes christian, is wrong.

i agree IZ, i mean, you cant really display nine of the ten commandments, but thats not cool.
it could make a muslim in the couthouse feel that he was going to get less of a fair go than he should.

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2005, 10:23:53 pm »
Well, of course I was exaggerating. Mostly everyone I know doesn't accept it.
[snapback]203428[/snapback]

That's sort of how I feel, but the abuse is coming from protestants (actually Baptist, no offence to anyone, I realize there are more considerate ones out there). Sure, because of my religion, but most is because they think they're better than my church because they have more money. Honestly, I sort of agree with how Kerry (although HE was Catholic) was not going to interfere with a non-christian's life. You know what I mean right? It's just something people have to go through. There isn't anything we can do really.

Eva:Gina

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2005, 02:01:12 am »
its so pathetic. the whole hatred becuase of beleifs thing.

put it this way , fink (i used you cos your the only ohter poster on this page) i hate greenday, i think they have produced a totally crappy cd.
great, do you care what i think?? no

and i dont care that you like them. as long as i dont have to listen to it.

so, i feel the same way about religion, ta da!!! :biggrin:

cs@charter.net

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2005, 07:37:34 pm »
Lots of things offend people, why is it that they just want the ten commandments taken down? It should be all right. If you don't like it, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!! DUH!! Is it that hard? They are commandments given by God that we should follow! John Kerry signs offend many of us (me, anyway), yet we tolerate them. What's the difference in the ten commandments?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2005, 07:49:29 pm »
Lots of things offend people, why is it that they just want the ten commandments taken down? It should be all right. If you don't like it, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!! DUH!! Is it that hard? They are commandments given by God that we should follow! John Kerry signs offend many of us (me, anyway), yet we tolerate them. What's the difference in the ten commandments?
[snapback]204299[/snapback]

You're entitled freedom of religion in the constitution, you're not entitled to remove anything and everything that offends you.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2005, 11:37:16 am »
You're entitled freedom of religion in the constitution, you're not entitled to remove anything and everything that offends you.
[snapback]204304[/snapback]

Yeah...I'm bringing back an old topic...but I have a point....so yeah.

Kevin...what you said there totally contradicts what you said earlier in the argument.  You said you don't support the posting of the the Ten Commandments, but you also say you don't have the right to remove stuff that is offensive to you.  So...you don't have the right to keep the Ten Commandments from being posted.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2005, 12:08:29 pm »

Kevin...what you said there totally contradicts what you said earlier in the argument.  You said you don't support the posting of the the Ten Commandments, but you also say you don't have the right to remove stuff that is offensive to you.  So...you don't have the right to keep the Ten Commandments from being posted.
[snapback]209018[/snapback]

No, he said Kerry posters are offensive and should be removed because "they offend him". Elections are competition though, religion isn't. You do have the right to the freedom of religion though, and "You shall have no other Gods before me." is a slap in the face to every other religion out there. Election posters are just insulting your political choice, while the 10 Commandments insult your entire way of life.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2005, 12:14:25 pm »

No, he said Kerry posters are offensive and should be removed because "they offend him". Elections are competition though, religion isn't. You do have the right to the freedom of religion though, and "You shall have no other Gods before me." is a slap in the face to every other religion out there. Election posters are just insulting your political choice, while the 10 Commandments insult your entire way of life.
[snapback]209041[/snapback]

How can they insult your way of life?  They simply show the way some people (some happens to be most in the U.S.A) choose to live.  If you don't like what they say, you don't HAVE to look.  You have the freedom not to.  

You call it a "slap in the face," but you don't bother to look at the fact that whatever you believe is also a slap in the face to Christians.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot my other point...

He may have said Kerry posters offended him, but you used the same logic for the Ten Commandments.  There's a fault in your logic there.  You find the Ten Commandments offensive and don't want them displayed.  He found Kerry posters offensive and didn't want them displayed.  It works both ways.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 12:16:07 pm by thebigcheez »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2005, 12:17:12 pm »

How can they insult your way of life?  They simply show the way some people (some happens to be most in the U.S.A) choose to live.  If you don't like what they say, you don't HAVE to look.  You have the freedom not to.  

You call it a "slap in the face," but you don't bother to look at the fact that whatever you believe is also a slap in the face to Christians.
[snapback]209044[/snapback]

but when you put the Ten Commandments in goverment buildings and courthouses, you're saying that the governments thinks what you're doing is wrong, and that's not fair.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2005, 12:20:27 pm »

but when you put the Ten Commandments in goverment buildings and courthouses, you're saying that the governments thinks what you're doing is wrong, and that's not fair.
[snapback]209045[/snapback]

Does it say anywhere that the government thinks you are wrong?  No.

If you get right down to the reason this country was founded...it was religious freedom.  But it's not how we think of it now.  Religious freedom to the founders of the U.S. meant freedom from the Church of England.  They wanted to keep the same basic beliefs, but change some of the corruption of the church.  So, when talking about things which helped shape the foundation of our country, the Ten Commandments are crucial.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2005, 12:22:04 pm »

If you get right down to the reason this country was founded...it was religious freedom.  But it's not how we think of it now.  Religious freedom to the founders of the U.S. meant freedom from the Church of England.  They wanted to keep the same basic beliefs, but change some of the corruption of the church.  So, when talking about things which helped shape the foundation of our country, the Ten Commandments are crucial.
[snapback]209046[/snapback]

It doesn't matter what the founders thought though. They thought slavery was acceptable, is that still true today? The founders were great people for what they did, but some of their beliefs are outdated and wrong.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2005, 12:28:26 pm »

It doesn't matter what the founders thought though. They thought slavery was acceptable, is that still true today? The founders were great people for what they did, but some of their beliefs are outdated and wrong.
[snapback]209047[/snapback]

Okay, let's get extremely technical.  The founders of our country DIDN'T think slavery was acceptable.  It was a separatist group from the south that thought that.

Times were a bit simpler back then.  People didn't read much into what was written in the Constitution, so everything had a meaning which has been stretched now.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2005, 12:30:19 pm »

Okay, let's get extremely technical.  The founders of our country DIDN'T think slavery was acceptable.  It was a separatist group from the south that thought that.

Times were a bit simpler back then.  People didn't read much into what was written in the Constitution, so everything had a meaning which has been stretched now.
[snapback]209051[/snapback]

Okay, but that still doesn't change the fact that even if they thought Christianity was the only important religion, they were wrong.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2005, 12:31:53 pm »

Besides there is seperation of church and state. And anything relating to the church cannot be sponsered or displayed by the goverment.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2005, 12:40:25 pm »

[snapback]209051[/snapback]

Okay, but that still doesn't change the fact that even if they thought Christianity was the only important religion, they were wrong.
[snapback]209053[/snapback]

Does it say anywhere that Christianity is the only important religion?  Did I say it? No.  I'm simply saying that the posting of the Ten Commandments has absolutely no impact on anyone religiously if you look at it through the history of the U.S.  

If people keep in mind the basis of the U.S.A, then there should be no problems with the Ten Commandments.  People read too much into stuff nowadays.  That's why the Ten Commandments has become such an issue.