Author Topic: How to survive at USB.  (Read 60498 times)

Jackie-Boy

How to survive at USB.
« on: August 13, 2005, 10:51:27 am »
This is something I've wanted to write for a while. It's kind of a follow-up (not really) to Isn't Anything's "Never posted at a message board" thread. However, this list is substantially different. This is sort of a list of things I've had in my head on how to survive and establish yourself at USB. These are not the same as the Official Rules and Isn't Anything's thread. These are things I've kept with me since my first day that helped me along the way, and I hope that it works for newbs.

1. Make friends with mods early on. Don't suck up, but start a conversation with them. Why do I say this? Well, when you're in a tricky spot, a mod can always help out. Not that they'll let you get away with doing rotten stuff. (I know that if I said something incredibly innaprorpiate, Liz or Kenny or any other mod would still warn mem no matter how much we may be friends, and that's what makes them good mods.) But when you're confused about something, they'll be your guide. Not just that, but the mods are some good people. Just by striking up a conversation you can see why they were picked as a mod. Except Sean. We're still trying to figure him out.

2. Be yourself! We all have distinct personalities, and to hide them would be a shame. When I post at message boards, I always act like myself. I remember making a post a while back where I mentioned visiting this message board while using the toilet. Instead of being grossed out by it, some people actually thought it was pretty funny! If people like me, then good. If they don't, it's okay, I don't want to interact with someone who doesn't like me for who I am. When you make friends because they like you for you, it feels so much better then when they're your friends because of someone you're not.

3. If you do something wrong, acknowledge it. Even if you don't mean your apology (but you should), say it. It shows class, and it shows that you realize you've done wrong and you'll know better next time.

4. Participate. What better way to show other members that you're enthusiastic about being here than to, say, post in the Games thread, or critique a fanfiction or a piece of artwork? This also ties into being yourself.

5. The music is everything. People will instantly respect you for listening to the same music they do. I mean, they respect you for other things too, but the taste in music may make a big difference. The Green Day Cult is a pretty tight-knit group, I've noticed, and even though we were friends before, I've bonded with Alex over several similar artists, among them being David Bowie. And I met my adoptive son Banana through a love of They Might Be Giants. Find out who likes what you like, and get to know that person. Oftentimes you'll find you get along.

6. This is already on the rules, but I can't say enough how important it is that you don't be an arse. Even when you disagree with someone about something, keep your head and be the better man. Don't call people names, don't be offensive, all that jazz. When disagreeing, see if you can make it a civil argument. If you want a frame of reference, act exactly the opposite as Bush and Kerry in last years Presidential debates.

7. Try to add something to the topic. This has long been a gripe of mine, but really... saying in a movie thread something like "I liked it. It was good." doesn't really add anything to the topic, doesn't really add anything to your standing on the board (except for your post total), and too much of it will sort of come off like spam. (Added by Alex)

8. Please READ the thread you're looking at, many times have I seen that someone will add something to a conversation that has already been said because they only read the title of the thread, or added something completely wrong because they havent read another members post correctly. I believe if people read and understand the topic before they reply, the conversation/thread would grow, and you'd get to know more about the people participating. (Added by chongsta)

9. Don't post about every personal life problem you have. Many members get annoyed when someone writes about their boyfreind/girlfreind problems all the time. A personal life problem that is something major, like a death or serouis illnes in the family, getting a new job, or moving are ok. But posting about everything that happens in your life is not ok. If you want to do that make a blog. (Added by Rocko)

10. Please, for the love of mankind, don't walk into the forum and post "pokemon is stupid" in a topic about power puff girls for your first post. Everyone will flame you to no end and the mods will hate cleaning up the mess. In short, read the forum for a while before you make your first post (not counting your 'introduction to the forum' post) Added by VulturEMaN

Please leave feedback, or any pieces of advice YOU have to add to the list.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:25:02 pm by VulturEMaN »

Banana

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:12:19 am »
Wow. You make some good points there.  This needs to be pinned.

-Banana

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:29:45 pm »
I agree.

This thread shall be pinned in...

THE PINEAPPLE!

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 12:46:20 pm »
Yay for good tips. I have definately used some of these to my advantage

mermaidboy_and_barnacleman

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:43:39 pm »
Very good tips. :) I'll use them.

Jackie-Boy

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 05:30:51 pm »
Wow. I didn't expect it to be pinned. That's sorta cool.

Everyone, feel free to add to it if you wanna. I'll edit the post, add your thing, and credit you.

Kenny Blankenship

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 05:35:59 pm »
OK, add this:

Try to add something to the topic.  This has long been a gripe of mine, but really... saying in a movie thread something like "I liked it.  It was good."  doesn't really add anything to the topic, doesn't really add anything to your standing on the board (except for your post total), and too much of it will sort of come off like spam.  I'm sure Jack here can put in into nicer words and all, but in essence: if you have nothing to add to a topic, then don't say anything...

Jackie-Boy

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 06:17:50 pm »
OK, add this:

Try to add something to the topic.  This has long been a gripe of mine, but really... saying in a movie thread something like "I liked it.  It was good."  doesn't really add anything to the topic, doesn't really add anything to your standing on the board (except for your post total), and too much of it will sort of come off like spam.  I'm sure Jack here can put in into nicer words and all, but in essence: if you have nothing to add to a topic, then don't say anything...
[snapback]217946[/snapback]

Sounds just fine to me, matey.

Offline Chongster

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • ^ George ^
    • View Profile
    • www.simon-chong.co.uk
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 08:08:48 am »
One thing I might like to add, if approved is...

Please READ the thread you're looking at, many times have I seen that someone will add something to a conversation that has already been said because they only read the title of the thread, or added something completely wrong because they havent read another members post correctly. I believe if people read and understand the topic before they reply, the conversation/thread would grow, and you'd get to know more about the people participating.

I don’t know what other people's opinions are on this, but this is mine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:23:27 am by chongster »

spongebuddie

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 05:34:50 pm »
i think i've done that before I don't know

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 05:44:23 pm »
You forgot to befriend Fink, because she is so nice and everything.

~angelene's dreams

How to survive at USB.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 07:46:55 am »
nice list of Forum Politics.

except rule number five....where it's advised that i listen to the same music everyone else does in order to gain respect.....

you see where i'm going with this...don't you?   :mellow:

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 08:15:08 am »
Add this to the list;
Don't post about every personal life problem you have. Many members get annoyed when someone writes about their boyfreind/girlfreind problems all the time. A personal life problem that is something major, like a death or serouis illnes in the family, getting a new job, or moving are ok. But posting about everything that happens in your life is not ok. If you want to do that make a blog.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 02:58:37 pm »
Add this to the list;
Don't post about every personal life problem you have. Many members get annoyed when someone writes about their boyfreind/girlfreind problems all the time. A personal life problem that is something major, like a death or serouis illnes in the family, getting a new job, or moving are ok. But posting about everything that happens in your life is not ok. If you want to do that make a blog.
[snapback]219421[/snapback]

Agreed. Though I haven't seen much of that problem since, I don't see why we shouldn't warn them about it.

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
How to survive at USB.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 03:15:16 pm »
nice list of Forum Politics.

except rule number five....where it's advised that i listen to the same music everyone else does in order to gain respect.....

you see where i'm going with this...don't you?   :mellow:
[snapback]219417[/snapback]
I don't think that's what he meant. I think it was more like, try to find someone who has some of the same tastes in music as you. You'll find some common ground there and probably have made a new friend.