Author Topic: Suburban Spawl  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:57:56 pm »
I live in a city full of spawl, and live in the spawl. I'm sure many of you do too. Anyway post your opinions on this issue. What do you think needs to be done about it?

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

weird_4

Suburban Spawl
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:21:40 am »
What's sprawl? I'm just wondering because I can't help you out if someone doesn't tell me was sprawl is.

Fan of Spongebob

Suburban Spawl
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:59:23 pm »
In my opinion, its not a major problem.  Were not going to run out of space here soon like Japan sort of did.  There's still alot of great outdoors to enjoy in this nation.  Plus people in some cities have started to redevelop communities that have once been abondoned.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 07:16:37 pm »
In my opinion, its not a major problem.  Were not going to run out of space here soon like Japan sort of did.  There's still alot of great outdoors to enjoy in this nation.  Plus people in some cities have started to redevelop communities that have once been abondoned.
[snapback]221595[/snapback]
We're not running out of space. But this spawl is bad for the envorment. Think about nature it needs space! People could easily move into the inner city. In Cincinnati we have room for 200,000 more poeple. Becuase in 1950 it's population capped out at 500,000 and now it's about 300,000.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:21:22 am »
What is spawl? :blink:

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 09:24:25 am »
I think he's referring to the process of tearing down forests and the environment to make room for more suburbs.

Elizabeth Rose

Suburban Spawl
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 09:58:30 am »
I think he's referring to the process of tearing down forests and the environment to make room for more suburbs.
[snapback]221853[/snapback]
I want to kill people when I see that happening.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 10:41:06 am »
In my opinion, its not a major problem.  Were not going to run out of space here soon like Japan sort of did.  There's still alot of great outdoors to enjoy in this nation.  Plus people in some cities have started to redevelop communities that have once been abondoned.
We're not running out of space. But this spawl is bad for the envorment. Think about nature it needs space! People could easily move into the inner city. In Cincinnati we have room for 200,000 more poeple. Becuase in 1950 it's population capped out at 500,000 and now it's about 300,000.
[snapback]221601[/snapback]

The government needs to take a bigger role in rebuilding the inner cities though.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 10:56:57 am »

The government needs to take a bigger role in rebuilding the inner cities though.
[snapback]221891[/snapback]
They should instead of funding the subburbs all the time. Which is what they're doing right now. If the government gave people tax breaks if they buy an old building in the city and fix it up maybe more people would move to the city again.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Suburban Spawl
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 01:00:01 pm »

[snapback]221891[/snapback]
They should instead of funding the subburbs all the time. Which is what they're doing right now. If the government gave people tax breaks if they buy an old building in the city and fix it up maybe more people would move to the city again.
[snapback]221895[/snapback]

That's a great idea. The thing people don't realize is that at this rate, suburbs aren't going to be any better than cities eventually.

Sheldon J. Plankton

Suburban Spawl
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:44:52 am »
This is a problem in my town, people are moving from New York City and North Jersey because they think there will be more "space" here, so were getting over developed and overpopulated, when living contiditions in the places their coming from are just fine (I would RATHER live in North Jersey or New York City, actually), which is also screwing our schools, they are getting overcrowded and we have to pay extra taxes on a new school, which they said would have new appliances (eg. maps, text books, etc.), but instead they just used stuff from older schools because they want to "save money", maybe later I will make a thread here about how much my school district sucks, but my town is suffering from this a well, and all I know is I can't wait to move out of it when I go to college, because it's impossible to watch itself ruin itself like this.

Fan of Spongebob

Suburban Spawl
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 06:09:37 pm »
The problem that is involving suburban spawl is the crime.  People who have money don't want to live next to a crack house or a sex house.  When New York reduced crime in the city and cleaned up in the 90's, people moved back into the city which caused the population to increase over eight million up from six million in the 70's.  The government can not choose where we have to live.  However, governments can offer tax breaks for people to renovate old buildings and industrial sites.  This is sort of what is happening in Columbus, Ohio.  But Columbus still has lots of open space that hasn't been developed.

Suburban sprawl is trying to reduce enviromental effects like leaving some forests open to about 60 feet to create a barrier between housing developments.