Author Topic: Mall politics and you  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Mall politics and you
« on: August 28, 2005, 06:02:50 pm »
Ok, here is another loop-hole in American society. Everyone has been to the mall and has been to the various chain-stores, right? Well, spencers likes to sell sex/drug/alcohol related things as you may know. If you go in you'll see the marijuana lief plastered all over EVERYTHING. Hats, signs, clocks, bags, T-shirts, bumper stickers, coasters, lighters etc..etc. My question is, if laws against marijuana are becoming more strict and the government continues to go to our schools and warn kids about drugs and show movies from the 80's of the stereotypical drug dealer, why are they promoting this trash? Legally. If we want young girls to grow up with any respect for themselves why is there playboy bunny crap being sold in stores like Clairs where young girls (more like 12 and 13 year olds) shop? Really, this is a bit backwards. Personally, I'm not too concerned about big brother buying kids and their friends beer as I am seeing a 16 year old kid walking around the local high schools with Corona (spelling?) beanie he bought at the mall. I dont understand. If America is so concerned about the future of the nation and keeping kids off drugs they should keep drug novelties off of store shelves. What do you think?

Please, only respond with serious answers. I'm ready to start deleting posts in the debate den, guys...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 06:04:04 pm by Isnt Anything »

Gideon Brown

Mall politics and you
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 06:29:38 pm »
You got to be careful though. The people who designed those pot leafs can fall back safely under the "It's not a POT leaf. It's a leaf from a hemp plant, yes, but not marijuana."

As for play bunny...those girls don't even get what it means. And if they do, then yay for them if they want to be little tramps.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 06:30:34 pm by Gideon Brown »

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Mall politics and you
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:29:54 pm »
It would be funny if they just searched every kid who bought something with a pot leaf from there.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Mall politics and you
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:25:39 pm »
You got to be careful though. The people who designed those pot leafs can fall back safely under the "It's not a POT leaf. It's a leaf from a hemp plant, yes, but not marijuana."

As for play bunny...those girls don't even get what it means. And if they do, then yay for them if they want to be little tramps.
[snapback]225142[/snapback]
Right and Hemp makes more then marijuana.  You can make textiles out of hemp, and they did until hemp was mad illeagel. People get this stuff from everywhere. I new a kid who had a marlboro book bag because his parents got them from the ciggertte cataloqe.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Lil Loco

Mall politics and you
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 07:27:03 pm »
Hahahah yup...My brother haz a Marlboro cook book.

Elizabeth Rose

Mall politics and you
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 07:32:11 pm »
I have wondered the same thing myself. There would be the hemp argument, but there is no good Playboy argument. It's just stupid.

Off topic: My brother has Converse made of hemp.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Mall politics and you
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 09:48:57 pm »
I have wondered the same thing myself. There would be the hemp argument, but there is no good Playboy argument. It's just stupid.

Off topic: My brother has Converse made of hemp.
[snapback]225156[/snapback]
He does? Shows how much I pay attention. :blink:

Sheldon J. Plankton

Mall politics and you
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:59:51 am »
Hmm, well, first for Spencers stuff, usually when a kid buys something refrencing marajuana they are already high, and as for the playboy bunny stuff the girls who do that will probably grow up to be...you know (I dunno whether or not I can say it here), kids who actually have good senses of judgement won't buy that stuff, and if I walked in there and saw marajuana on everything it certainly wouldn't make me start smoking it, it depends on whether or not the kid is easily influenced.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Mall politics and you
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 10:46:29 am »
Ok, here is another loop-hole in American society. Everyone has been to the mall and has been to the various chain-stores, right? Well, spencers likes to sell sex/drug/alcohol related things as you may know. If you go in you'll see the marijuana lief plastered all over EVERYTHING. Hats, signs, clocks, bags, T-shirts, bumper stickers, coasters, lighters etc..etc. My question is, if laws against marijuana are becoming more strict and the government continues to go to our schools and warn kids about drugs and show movies from the 80's of the stereotypical drug dealer, why are they promoting this trash? Legally. If we want young girls to grow up with any respect for themselves why is there playboy bunny crap being sold in stores like Clairs where young girls (more like 12 and 13 year olds) shop? Really, this is a bit backwards. Personally, I'm not too concerned about big brother buying kids and their friends beer as I am seeing a 16 year old kid walking around the local high schools with Corona (spelling?) beanie he bought at the mall. I dont understand. If America is so concerned about the future of the nation and keeping kids off drugs they should keep drug novelties off of store shelves. What do you think?

Please, only respond with serious answers. I'm ready to start deleting posts in the debate den, guys...
[snapback]225121[/snapback]
True, the items those things represent are illegal or at least frowned upon, but making them illegal would be against the most basic principle of the Constitution, the first amendment.  Freedom of expression is more important to me, and thankfully, those governing the nation, than having kids not wearing shirts about alcohol, drugs, or sex.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:46:47 am by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Mall politics and you
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:06:48 pm »
Ok, the point I'm trying to make here isn't "should we pull this off of the shelves or not", but more of America is a hypocrite for going to extremes to keep our kids AWAY from these thing and then shoving it in our faces in pop culture and the mall...etc..etc.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Mall politics and you
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 09:36:24 pm »
America isn't a homogenous blob though.  The conservative America is keeping kids away from it, while the capitalistic America is marketing it.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone