Author Topic: I thought I'd share this with you guys.  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
I thought I'd share this with you guys.
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:06:05 pm »
I love this man and his intelligence.

Paul Harvey and Prayer

Paul Harvey says:

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue
somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I
don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a
lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory
of evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be
endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer
before a football game.

So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

"But it's a Christian prayer," some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country
founded on Christian principles. According to our very
own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect-somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem,
I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad,
I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China,
I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn't be offended.
It wouldn't bother me one bit.
When in Rome ..

"But what about the atheists?" is another argument.

What about them?
Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or
two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do.
I don't think a short prayer at a football game is
going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other
cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our
parents and grandparents taught us to pray before
eating; to pray before we go to sleep.

Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a
handful of people and their lawyers are telling us
to cease praying.

God, help us.
And if that last sentence offends you,
well ... just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we let that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard
.... that the vast majority don't care what they want. It
is time the majority rules! It's time we tell them, you don't have to pray; you don't have to say the pledge of allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right. But by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back ...
and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... especially those who denounce Him. God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all.

God bless our service men who are fighting to protect
our right to pray and worship God.

May 2006 be the year the silent majority is heard
and we put God back as the foundation of our
families and institutions.

Keep looking up.

Lil Loco

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 07:09:42 pm »
i jus found a new hero...

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 07:10:27 pm »
I swear, that's like the second greatest thing I've heard all year.

Lil Loco

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:11:58 pm »
lol i luv this crazy guy right here, he knowz wutz up.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 07:35:35 pm »
Right next to money, religion is the root of all these controversies... more then likely these people may be Christians... they just want a nice little sum of money.

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 07:37:30 pm »
Right next to money, religion is the root of all these controversies... more then likely these people may be Christians... they just want a nice little sum of money.
[snapback]261403[/snapback]
Yea.. this guy is a Christian, he made that obvious didn't he?

And this he already has money. He's just speaking the truth for once.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 07:57:00 pm »
I know, what I mean is many people only do it for money. Heck maybe they were not offended at all... it is the age of the frivolous lawsuit afterall.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 08:12:05 pm »
Amen brother, Amen.  It's time we revolted and started a fuss.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 09:01:56 pm »
I swear, that's like the second greatest thing I've heard all year.
[snapback]261384[/snapback]
And..I agree.

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 10:55:17 pm »
Amen brother, Amen.  It's time we revolted and started a fuss.
[snapback]261419[/snapback]
No kidding. I mean hey, that's what the other side has been doing for so long. What happened to our rights?

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 12:03:43 am »
I've always like Paul Harvey.  That just shows part of the reason why.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 08:57:21 am »
Well, no harm in a bit of debate.  This is the debate den after all.
*Puts on his devil's advocate suit*
As Senator Daniel Inouye once said, "I have heard so often in the past few weeks eloquent and good men plead for the chance to let the majority rule. That is, they say, the essence of democracy. I disagree, for to me it is equally clear that democracy does not necessarily result from majority rule, but rather from the forged compromise of the majority with the minority."

While his speech was about filibustering (in 1963, not 2005), it applies here as well.  This isn't about a 30 second prayer before a football game (though I don't doubt there are people in this country who are against that).  It is about the John Scopes monkey trial, antisemitism, xenophobia, racism, and everything related.  It's about protection of the minority.

Nobody is telling anyone to cease praying, the government is simply preventing prayer of any creed being forced upon anyone (Intelligent Design in the classroom, anyone?).

As for the examples of Iraq and Israel, religion is written into the constitutions of the countries.  As in, Iraq was founded as an Islamic state, while Israel was founded as a Jewish state.  America was founded as an agnostic state, in that the government does not acknowledge, support, discourage, or ban any religion, and our Constitution says as much.

As for the country being founded upon Christian ideals, no.  The country was founded upon democratic ideals and inalienable human rights (though both have yet to be achieved).  Ideals and rights you will find both accepted and denied by Christian countries, Islamic countries, Athiest countries, Jewish countries, etc.

This is by no means a complete rebuttal of the original post, nor a complete arguement on it's own.  It is simply an exercize in debate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:57:40 am by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 12:11:22 pm »
Well, no harm in a bit of debate.  This is the debate den after all.
As Senator Daniel Inouye once said, "I have heard so often in the past few weeks eloquent and good men plead for the chance to let the majority rule. That is, they say, the essence of democracy. I disagree, for to me it is equally clear that democracy does not necessarily result from majority rule, but rather from the forged compromise of the majority with the minority."

While his speech was about filibustering (in 1963, not 2005), it applies here as well.  This isn't about a 30 second prayer before a football game (though I don't doubt there are people in this country who are against that).  It is about the John Scopes monkey trial, antisemitism, xenophobia, racism, and everything related.  It's about protection of the minority.

Nobody is telling anyone to cease praying, the government is simply preventing prayer of any creed being forced upon anyone
(Intelligent Design in the classroom, anyone?).

As for the examples of Iraq and Israel, religion is written into the constitutions of the countries.  As in, Iraq was founded as an Islamic state, while Israel was founded as a Jewish state.  America was founded as an agnostic state, in that the government does not acknowledge, support, discourage, or ban any religion, and our Constitution says as much.

As for the country being founded upon Christian ideals, no.  The country was founded upon democratic ideals and inalienable human rights (though both have yet to be achieved).  Ideals and rights you will find both accepted and denied by Christian countries, Islamic countries, Athiest countries, Jewish countries, etc.

This is by no means a complete rebuttal of the original post, nor a complete arguement on it's own.  It is simply an exercize in debate.
[snapback]262461[/snapback]

It has been that way. No one is forcing anyone to pray. You dont have to believe Intellingent Design just because you are being taught it. I am taught evoloution in school, and I do not believe it
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:13:12 pm by IceFox »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 03:52:36 pm »
Well, no harm in a bit of debate.  This is the debate den after all.

While his speech was about filibustering (in 1963, not 2005), it applies here as well.  This isn't about a 30 second prayer before a football game (though I don't doubt there are people in this country who are against that).  It is about the John Scopes monkey trial, antisemitism, xenophobia, racism, and everything related.  It's about protection of the minority.

Nobody is telling anyone to cease praying, the government is simply preventing prayer of any creed being forced upon anyone
(Intelligent Design in the classroom, anyone?).

As for the examples of Iraq and Israel, religion is written into the constitutions of the countries.  As in, Iraq was founded as an Islamic state, while Israel was founded as a Jewish state.  America was founded as an agnostic state, in that the government does not acknowledge, support, discourage, or ban any religion, and our Constitution says as much.

As for the country being founded upon Christian ideals, no.  The country was founded upon democratic ideals and inalienable human rights (though both have yet to be achieved).  Ideals and rights you will find both accepted and denied by Christian countries, Islamic countries, Athiest countries, Jewish countries, etc.

This is by no means a complete rebuttal of the original post, nor a complete arguement on it's own.  It is simply an exercize in debate.
[snapback]262461[/snapback]

It has been that way. No one is forcing anyone to pray. You dont have to believe Intellingent Design just because you are being taught it. I am taught evoloution in school, and I do not believe it
[snapback]262491[/snapback]
The Dover, PA Board of Ed was, until it was stopped by a Federal Court.  Believing in science and believing in religion are entirely different ideas.  One belongs in a science class, the other belongs in a church (or equivalent religious building).

Lil Loco

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 03:56:02 pm »
science and religion...?

jus cuz ur a christian or catholic or wutever doeznt mean u cant believe in science...
evolution iz just a scientific theory believed by alotta scientistz.  that dont mean that evolution iz science itself.

oh, and that thing about creation belonging in churchez and evolution in classroomz...thatz ur opinion.  evolution and creation and both beliefz...evolution iz a theory, not a law.  so itz pretty biased to just be showing one side.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:00:14 pm by Lil Loco »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 03:59:50 pm »
science and religion...?

jus cuz ur a christian or catholic or wutever doeznt mean u cant believe in science...
evolution iz just a scientific theory believed by alotta scientistz.  that dont mean that evolution iz science itself.
[snapback]262550[/snapback]
I said I do not beleive the theory of evoloution. Evoloution is life science, I think. That doesnt mean I do noit belvie in all of Life Science. I just dont believe  I am an Ape descendant(sp?)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:00:26 pm by IceFox »

Lil Loco

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 04:01:44 pm »

thatz wut im saying...i dont believe in evolution either.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 05:08:03 pm »
science and religion...?

evolution iz just a scientific theory believed by alotta scientistz.  that dont mean that evolution iz science itself.

oh, and that thing about creation belonging in churchez and evolution in classroomz...thatz ur opinion.  evolution and creation and both beliefz...evolution iz a theory, not a law.  so itz pretty biased to just be showing one side.
I think you misunderstood what I said.  Intelligent Design isn't science.  Evolution isn't religion.  That doesn't mean religion and science are mutually exclusive, or that evolution and science or Intelligent Design and religion are mutually inclusive.

As for your comment that teaching only evolution is biased, if someone can propose a reasonable alternate theory, I have no problem with it being taught alongside it.  Intelligent Design isn't a reasonable theory, its a joke.

Lil Loco

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 05:48:12 pm »
science and religion...?

oh, and that thing about creation belonging in churchez and evolution in classroomz...thatz ur opinion.  evolution and creation and both beliefz...evolution iz a theory, not a law.  so itz pretty biased to just be showing one side.
I think you misunderstood what I said.  Intelligent Design isn't science.  Evolution isn't religion.  That doesn't mean religion and science are mutually exclusive, or that evolution and science or Intelligent Design and religion are mutually inclusive.

As for your comment that teaching only evolution is biased, if someone can propose a reasonable alternate theory, I have no problem with it being taught alongside it.  Intelligent Design isn't a reasonable theory, its a joke.
[snapback]262570[/snapback]

a joke iz it?

"Not one change of species into another is on record...we cannot prove that a single species has been changed." - Charles Darwin, My Life and Letters

"If it could be domonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down." - Charles Darwin, The Origin of The Species

One of evolution's weak points is that it does not have any recognizable way in which conscious life could have emerged." - Sir John Eccles, Nobel Prize Winner in Physiology

"For twenty years I lied to prove that the universe had a materialistic base, but every experiment failed.  I had to conclude that it had a spiritualistic base." - Dr. Bernard Covell, Astrophysicist

There are only two possibilities as to how life arose.  One is spontaneous generation arising to evolution; the other is a supernatural creative act of God.  There is no third possibiliy.  Spontaneous generation, that life arose from non-living matter was scientifically disproved 120 years ago by Louis Pasteur and others.  That leaves us with the only possible conclusion that life arose as a supernatural creative act of God.  I will not accept this philisophically because I do not want to believe in God.  Therefore, I choose to believe in what I know is scientifically impossible, spontaneous generation arising to evolution." - Dr. George Wald, Professor Emeritus of Biology at Harvard University, Nobel Prize Winner Physiology

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable.  We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation which is unthinkable." - Arthur Keith

the size, position and angle of the earth iz a phenomenon to see. a few degreez closer to the sun we'd disintegrate, a few degreez furter we'd freeze. the axis of the earth is tilted at a perfect 23 degree angle and itz no mistake that it iz. this allowz equal global distribution to the rayz of the sun making it possible for the food chain to exist.  or take for example the combination of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere we breathe every day. it just happenz to be the exact mix that life needs to prosper, it doesn't happen on any other planet that in our entire system that way.  also, the moon controlz the tides, itz the thing that cleanz the oceanz. even wavez don't crash the shorez for nuthin. the tidez drag impuritiez from the depthz of the sea, it's naturez constant recycling chain.  and it straight bogglez the mind to think that the starz will rotate with such exact precision that itz true. that the atomic clock with an error factor of less than three secondz per millenium is set by the way they move.  u think creation'z so crazy...?  theze are just sum examplez...i'd love to hear hear how it all happened by sum freak accidental occurance.

no disrespect, but dont come to me, calling my belief a joke.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:55:53 pm by Lil Loco »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 06:11:45 pm »
Hey, I could pull out just as many quotes showing that creationism is impossible from Nobel Prize Winners and assorted people with Ph Ds.

i'd love to hear hear how it all happened by sum freak accidental occurance.
Go to the nearest University library.  You'll find at least one shelf in the non-fiction section about each of those topics.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:13:20 pm by cmonkey »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 06:19:10 pm »
Darwin was basically forced to take back what he said about evolution due to the pressures by society of the time.

Lil Loco

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 06:23:43 pm »
the bottom line iz...it takez faith to believe in either one.  u believe in evolution, thatz your perogitive...but i aint gonna sit there and take my belief being called a joke from sumone who almighty belief in evolution couldnt even be sustained by itz own creator, who denounced it ever being possible.  look i aint gonna argue, all im sayin iz, i dont appreciate it being called a joke.

and kevin, darwin denounced it because he realized it couldnt work.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:24:13 pm by Lil Loco »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 06:24:53 pm »
the bottom line iz...it takez faith to believe in either one.  u believe in evolution, thatz your perogitive...but i aint gonna sit there and take my belief being called a joke from sumone who almighty belief in evolution couldnt even be sustained by itz own creator, who denounced it ever being possible.  look i aint gonna argue, all im sayin iz, i dont appreciate it being called a joke.
[snapback]262610[/snapback]

Read my post above. The people during his time period wouldn't accept anything besides what had been force-fed to them.

Darwin grew up believing in the Bible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:27:11 pm by IZ »

Lil Loco

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 06:30:51 pm »
yea...and he wanted a "better" explanation for how thingz came to be, and he developed the theory of evolution.  but toward the end of hiz life, he recorded alot about how the theory just couldnt work...the whole "society pressured him" thing iz b/s.  darwin waz a smart guy but he could find no solid basis for the theory to support itself.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 06:34:12 pm »
Hmm... I'm reading up on Charles Darwin, and if this is correct, he didn't even stop believing in evolution.

Lil Loco

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 06:39:10 pm »
and i bet that hiz own first-person accountz dont mean az much az that right?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:41:02 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Hope

Read that.

and if you don't trust Wikpedia, there's the sources at the bottom.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:41:35 pm by IZ »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:47:52 pm »
the bottom line iz...it takez faith to believe in either one.  u believe in evolution, thatz your perogitive...but i aint gonna sit there and take my belief being called a joke from sumone who almighty belief in evolution couldnt even be sustained by itz own creator, who denounced it ever being possible.  look i aint gonna argue, all im sayin iz, i dont appreciate it being called a joke.

Creator?  No.  Darwin didn't create evolution.  He discovered and studied it.

Lil Loco

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 07:01:02 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Hope

Read that.

and if you don't trust Wikpedia, there's the sources at the bottom.
[snapback]262620[/snapback]

i never said darwin reverted back to christianity...i said that he made statementz in hiz own first-person accountz, shooting down hiz own theory.

Creator?  No.  Darwin didn't create evolution.  He discovered and studied it.
[snapback]262624[/snapback]

he waz the creator or "discoverer" if u wanna call it, of the theory.

but this iz stupid, creation and evolution iznt wut this topic iz even about...so letz get off it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 07:05:31 pm by Lil Loco »