Author Topic: I need a labtop... help pls.  (Read 4292 times)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
I need a labtop... help pls.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 04:03:49 am »
IF you can, build your own desktop, so you can decide exactly what goes in it.

if a laptop is an absolute must, only get one with an nVidia or ATI graphics chip. if the video says S3 or Intel or something else like that, run for the hills, for thy gamage shall suck verily!
[snapback]275904[/snapback]

Indeed. I'm sure that me and cmonkey would gladly help you build a desktop if you're up for it.

I'd stick with the nVidia 6150 video for laptops....if you go that route....

No Username

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 06:40:52 pm »
It's a pain to upgrade the ram later in laptops. usually voids warranty with these companies nowadays.

Any computer company can make a decent computer. I've seen excellent gateway builds, and junk ones.

That particular gateway sounds alright, but I see no need for a laptop to have Media Center on it. Most kids will only be using it for playing mp3s. Some colleges may also only support XP Pro (like my college).

That special software is to remind you that driver and product updates exist for your parts. It's nothing more special than what you could do on their website on your own.

btw, I just worked on a new compaq the other day, and I've never seen a big company actually tuck all of their cables away inside it and everything. Was excellent.
[snapback]275900[/snapback]
Darn, oh well. Ill just wait for the warrranty to go out then in a year or so.

Agreed. Had a PC Gateway and it crashed after installing an HP PSC All-in-one onto it. That is why I was kinda scared anyway of gettign a gateay laptop in teh first place, but it works great so far. Imo, HP is the best USUALLy that you can buy, i only know that for sure for printers. I have seen crap jobs from gateway, such as their Pocket PC's.

How does that work? I'd think you could be running any windows and not be affected. please go mroe into detail on that. Plus, i think it is basically Windows Home Edition though except it has Media features on it you wouldnt find on a regular computer.

Oh, and i forgot to mention it has an S-video out for the media center for reg. TV's so that is the purpose of it halfway as well.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 07:32:08 pm »
Just look at any computer company that you feel comfortable buying from. If you have a gateway phobia, I'm not gonna force you into buying one.

It's basically like how windows update works, except it just downloads the updates for you. Simple enough.

Media Center Edition is made to share video and audio through your PC to other computers or a TV/Projector/etc. It is quite useless on a laptop unless it's a $4000 laptop.

Any good video card has an svideo out nowadays. better ones can record video too.