Author Topic: Your religion?  (Read 20089 times)

bub1028

Your religion?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2006, 01:09:25 pm »
im catholic.

carterhawk

Your religion?
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 11:46:44 pm »
say what now? theism? um hello, theism is....a view on religion, not a lack there of.

arthur clarke said it best
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Fact is that as far as im concerned, by the time a being is approaching me with what is essentialy proof he/she/it is God as described by the worlds religions, how am i to know that what proof i see is not merely a technology advanced beyond me so far that i cant tell if its real divinity or just technology.

it would be like showing a gaveman your lighter or a handgun, *magic* to him, old technology to you. forget about what television would do to him, hehe.

Banana

Your religion?
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 09:23:56 am »
Pastafarian...

No, in all honesty, I'm going to have to quote George Carlin.  I'm not athiest or agnostic.  I'm acrostic.  The whole thing puzzles me.

Scientology is hillarious.  I don't think Hubbard is a bad guy.  He must be rolling in his grave now that there are all these losers following some dumb thing he wrote.

x-PatrickStarr-x

Your religion?
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 10:01:24 am »
I don't have a religion. Techinically im Christian, but not catholic. My dads an athist and my mum an catholic.

Spongee15

Your religion?
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2006, 08:54:50 am »
im catholic, but sometimes i go to a baptist church  :blink:

Snowthrower

Your religion?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2006, 09:11:45 am »
say what now? theism? um hello, theism is....a view on religion, not a lack there of.

I never said it was. The belief Loco was talking about seemed alot like Theism.

lil_angel911

Your religion?
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2006, 09:59:34 am »
um i have my own beliefs in buddhism and confuism

Lil Loco

Your religion?
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2006, 02:16:03 pm »
agnosticz dont know whether to believe in God, and most want more reasonz before they decide about God. 

agnostic = unsure
athiest = anti-christian
[snapback]276396[/snapback]
Atheism is not anti-christian.
Atheism does not believe in a higher being.
Could you kindly refrain from being anti-atheist?
[snapback]276455[/snapback]

agnosticz dont believe or are unsure of a higher being...atheistz deny and seek to disprove God'z existance.  lil bit of a difference.
if i offend you, then my humblest apologiez...but i'm not being "anti-atheist"...i'm tellin it like it iz.
[snapback]276514[/snapback]

Agnostics do not ACKNOWLEDGE whether they believe in God or not or whether God exists or not.

Theism may be a better term for what your thinking of Loco.
[snapback]276590[/snapback]

dictionary.com referencez...

agnostic
one who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
one who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
one who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

like i said...they dont believe or are unsure.  but they are on a different level than atheistz.

Barnacle Head

Your religion?
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2006, 07:23:46 pm »

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Fact is that as far as im concerned, by the time a being is approaching me with what is essentialy proof he/she/it is God as described by the worlds religions, how am i to know that what proof i see is not merely a technology advanced beyond me so far that i cant tell if its real divinity or just technology.

it would be like showing a caveman your lighter or a handgun, *magic* to him, old technology to you. forget about what television would do to him, hehe.
[snapback]276679[/snapback]

Well said!

I believe in a god like I believe there is no other life in the universe!  The odds of there actually being an almighty diety and there NOT being life on other planets is astronomical!  

Saying something is "god's will" is just a way to describe something that we as a spieces don't currently, or may never understand.  The whole idea of heaven and hell is just plain silly, IMHO.  

I feel that once cloning is perfected the human race will have a whole different outlook on religion.  Can it be argued that the human race did not create the seed that is life? Millions of years of evolution did that...but we will have the technology to manipulate life and it will empower us to be god-like.  It's very exciting!

Lil Loco

Your religion?
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:19 pm »
the human-race will never be God-like, no matter how hard it thinkz it can be.

carterhawk

Your religion?
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2006, 12:04:11 am »
Thats not true. With sufficient technological power you could destroy a star, i call that godlike :p

Lil Loco

Your religion?
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2006, 07:18:39 am »
they will never be able to create planetz and starz from nothing.

sponge monkey100

Your religion?
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2006, 08:06:53 am »
I am part catholic and part christian
mom and dad have different religions

carterhawk

Your religion?
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2006, 11:26:31 am »
they will never be able to create planetz and starz from nothing.
[snapback]277480[/snapback]

Thats true, matter can be neither destoyred nor created, however, take a gas giant like jupiter. dump enough hydrogen into it and exert enough energies into it, and it might very likely ignite into a new star.

williambob286

Your religion?
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2006, 12:57:59 am »
I am part catholic and part christian
mom and dad have different religions
[snapback]277489[/snapback]
Catholic is a christian religion. Something like Jewish is still Christianity.