Author Topic: Signs of water found on one of Saturn's moons  (Read 9612 times)

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Signs of water found on one of Saturn's moons
« on: March 09, 2006, 04:06:41 pm »
(CNN) -- The Cassini space probe has found evidence of geysers erupting from underground pools of liquid water on Saturn's moon Enceladus, scientists announced on Thursday.

High-definition pictures beamed back from the probe showed huge plumes of ice coming from the moon's south pole.

"We're inferring that there is a liquid water reservoir under the surface and it's erupting in a geyser-like fashion, maybe like the Yellowstone geysers you would see," said Linda Spilker, Cassini Deputy Project Scientist.

Spilker said it was very surprising to see this much activity on such a small, cold moon. The average temperature at Enceladus' south pole is minus 307 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 188 Celsius) -- that's a little warmer than the equator, which was minus 316 Fahrenheit (minus 193 Celsius).

She said that the water was likely kept at the relatively warm temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit (zero Celsius) by tidal or radioactive forces. It freezes instantly as it escapes vents in the surface.

"At first we thought it might be like an ice volcano, with little ice particles coming out. And then, as the analysis continued, we looked at the amount of material coming out ...there had to be more of a pressure source underneath," she said.

Water might be an indication that life could exist on Enceladus. But Spilker was not ready to suggest life existed there.

"That's a very tough question to answer, but certainly something that we'll be thinking about now that there appears to be a liquid water source on Enceladus," she said.

"Because on the Earth, in ocean beds that are deep on the ocean floor, where there is no sunlight or anything, you get life forms that can exist in those conditions where you get the ingredients for life out of those volcanic vents."

Scientists are searching for signs of water on Mars and believe that Jupiter's moon Europa has a liquid ocean deep under it's frozen crust. (Watch finding puts Enceladus in an elite group -- 1:22)

"Now Enceladus joins the ranks of those bodies, Mars and Europa, that have evidence of liquid water in them and also energy sources coming from radioactive heating and tidal heating that make the very interesting places to look for the origins of life," said Torrence Johnson, a member of the Cassini team. "These are habitats that are similar to types of places we think life may have originated and could possibly survive in today."

The finding's were published in this week's issue of "Science."

Cassini is scheduled to fly within 217 miles (350 kilometers) of Enceladus in 2008, and Spilker said scientists may try to have it fly through the plumes and collect samples.

In the meantime, Spilker said Cassini probably would take measurements from a distance.

"Thinking ahead, maybe this might mean that some day we might want to land a probe near a crack on Enceladus or something and maybe be able to probe more precisely what's happening," she said.

Spilker said the findings already have answered some questions about Saturn's rings.

"One of the questions that Cassini came in with was that the E-ring around Saturn was thickest around Enceladus, and we knew somehow Enceladus was involved in being the source of the E-ring," she said. "And now we know how that's happening. Through these geyser-like plumes, that's the material that goes on to create the bulk of the E-ring."

Cassini, which was funded by NASA and the European and Italian space agencies, launched in 1997 and took seven years to make the 934 million-mile (1.5 billion-kilometer) trip to Saturn.

Last January, the European Huygens spacecraft detached from Cassini and landed on Titan, Saturn's largest moon. (Full story)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/03/09/c...adus/index.html

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:01:46 pm »
I totally just saw that on TV. Its great.

Snowthrower

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:59:21 pm »
This is amazing. Considering Saturns rings contain ice, I wasnt surprised though.

Chrono

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 07:12:34 pm »
...I got about a 75% in space, but Ive already forgotten most of it.

But anyways, water on Saturns moon, that's pretty cool...I wonder how long a plane ride there would take. Id really like to swim there...

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 07:37:31 pm »
...I got about a 75% in space, but Ive already forgotten most of it.

But anyways, water on Saturns moon, that's pretty cool...I wonder how long a plane ride there would take. Id really like to swim there...
[snapback]276657[/snapback]

"Because it reflects so much sunlight, the mean surface temperature at noon is only -198 °C."

:P

williambob286

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:57:01 pm »
Wow, I knew people can live in Saturn :P

ti89titanium

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:23:44 am »
Well, I thought this would happen in one of jupiter's main quartet, but this is semi-surprising

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 11:51:42 am »
[snapback]276673[/snapback]
:P Saturn's MOONS. and water isn't the only thing needed for life...

Well, I thought this would happen in one of jupiter's main quartet, but this is semi-surprising
[snapback]276689[/snapback]
There's evidence pointing towards there being water on Jupiter's moon Europa. :P

Snowthrower

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:01:51 pm »
[snapback]276673[/snapback]

Unless you want to fall through and hit a bunch of compressed Liquid Hydrogen, you cant live on Saturn :-P

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 01:12:18 pm »
Wow it is so nice to see that all our hard earned money is going towards something that doesn't affect our lives WHATSOEVER. We spend millions and millions of dollars to go into space every year, instead of using that money for something more productive like umm... hmm... education or healthcare? Yah know, something important like that.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 01:33:33 pm »
Wow it is so nice to see that all our hard earned money is going towards something that doesn't affect our lives WHATSOEVER. We spend millions and millions of dollars to go into space every year, instead of using that money for something more productive like umm... hmm... education or healthcare? Yah know, something important like that.
[snapback]276720[/snapback]
Even if the money wasn't used for space travel, I know for a fact that it wouldn't go towards supporting healthcare or education.

I say space travel is a better use of the money compared to funding the war in Iraq, or fueling the USA PATRIOT act.

Lil Loco

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 01:35:23 pm »
Even if the money wasn't used for space travel, I know for a fact that it wouldn't go towards supporting healthcare or education.

I say space travel is a better use of the money compared to funding the war in Iraq, or fueling the USA PATRIOT act.
[snapback]276722[/snapback]

if you're gonna turn this into sumthin political, then put it in the debate den...not here.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 01:36:33 pm »

if you're gonna turn this into sumthin political, then put it in the debate den...not here.
[snapback]276723[/snapback]
When I first posted it, I didn't mean for it to turn into a debate, hence why I posted it in Everything Else. :P

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 12:17:16 pm »
What are you talking about? Space travel furthers knowledge, and anwser a lot of questions. Space travel IS important.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 12:56:24 pm »

It's still a waist of money :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Space travel furthers knowledge, and anwser a lot of questions. Space travel IS important.
[snapback]276836[/snapback]
What questions do they answer, exactly?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 12:57:31 pm by Dragon Of Grief »