Poll

Do You Support the Goals of Intelligent Design

Yes - Teach that an unknown being of infinite power and universal knowledge has guided human evolution from the beginning. -=Some claim that this is a guise to sneak Christianity into the classroom, and violates seperation of Church and State=-
6 (27.3%)
No - Teach that evolution, as a result of natural forces, resulted in life as it is today. -=Some claim that life is to complicated to have arisen from random and chaotic forces; thus life must have have been helped along to reach its current state.=-
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?  (Read 40523 times)

BiggerSquarierSpongier

Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 03:25:45 pm »
Absolutely, positively, 100% no.
[snapback]279308[/snapback]
Yes it should, because even if you don't believe in God, people who do believe in Him have to get evolution and the Big Bang Theory shoved down their throats, so people who don't believe in Him should have to hear what the Bible says, too.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 03:35:34 pm »
I believe no... You are already learning it in Church. Plus, evolution is the science method.
All Time

Weekly

carterhawk

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 03:37:42 pm »
doing some google fu
http://www.google.com/search?q=difference+...:en-US:official
The first 4 hits all say the same thing. (the rest are off topic)
Law = What
Theory = Why

a What can never be promoted into a Why, that would be nonsense.

ti89titanium

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 03:56:18 pm »
(Yes, Islam's God is the same God as the Christian God). .
[snapback]279426[/snapback]

No they are not. Thay have alot wackier beliefs than we do. Our God doesn't tell us to "kill all infedels." Our god doesn't teach that women have no rights, and that they are property.
[snapback]279435[/snapback]
dude, the beliefs like that have become distorted into existence by modern times. The god is the same. Have you studied Islam at all? I suppose you think that Allah is a different god than God.

also, people. Simple answer. No. There are many different religions that are present in schools now. The class is SCIENCE class. No religion in science. Private schools can do what they want (I had to go to chapel every weekday for two years and every friday for six years).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:00:26 pm by ti89titanium »

Lil Loco

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 04:11:18 pm »
doing some google fu
http://www.google.com/search?q=difference+...:en-US:official
The first 4 hits all say the same thing. (the rest are off topic)
Law = What
Theory = Why

a What can never be promoted into a Why, that would be nonsense.
[snapback]279580[/snapback]

http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600141440,00.html

i told you that we could go on arguing about this forever...at this point, agruing about whether sumthin iz a law or not has nuthin to do with whether creation should be taught in the classroom.  so letz just get off it and move back to the relevant subject matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh and at ti89...we're talkin bout showing both the general idea of ID and the idea of evolution...not specifically the christian accountz of ID.  but if christian kidz gotta sit there and listen to sumthin they dont agree with being shoved down their throatz and other kidz dont gotta hear the other side...then they shouldnt teach evolution either then.  if secular kidz dont wanna hear about ID, then christian (and other creationist believing kidz) shouldnt have to hear about evolution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the lil statementz about creation not belonging cuz it isnt "scientific" like evolution supposedly iz, dont really cut it.  you dont consider creation to be scientific because it isnt completely based off cold hard logic...it requirez faith, therefore it isnt science, huh?  well...i guess the big-bang and all that dont require any faith to believe in then?  i mean...it doesnt take ANY faith to believe that this huge gigantic cloud of gas just existed outta no where and exploded into the universe.  nope...no faith to believe in that...some hard logic stuff there.  real scientific..."well God couldnt exist, but this random cloud of gas sure could.  yup, thatz it."

point being...the "Intelligent Design doesnt belong in a classroom" thing doesnt work.  cuz if thatz the case...Evolution and the Big-Bang dont belong either.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:36:51 pm by Lil Loco »

Spongey34

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »
The bible can't be taught; it can be inferred by those who wish to read it.

But as for some stories from in the bible?  Science... no.  History, yes.

ti89titanium

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2006, 05:38:34 pm »
just like how we are learning about stories of Islam and about that religion, but it's not Muslim school or anything.

carterhawk

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2006, 05:39:22 pm »
ID doesnt belong in the classroom because you cant disprove it. every single scientific theory can be disproven. i mean hell, even newtonian physics break down at the very small level of the sub atomic. (for the simple: the stuff that makes up matter is not affected by such things as gravity). we have quantum theory to handle those. ID requires faith. Science requires observation.
------------------------------------------------------
The big bang doesnt require faith because no claim has been made outside of what can be observed and measured. Ill tell you the very simplest, most easily observed proof of the big bang: the universe is expanding. how do we know? doppler shift. that means that as a star moves away from us, its color gets more reddish, and astronomers can track star movement and have found that everything is moving outward towards the edge of the universe. No one has tried to state a fact about the begining the universe. the great thinkers like Hawking for example use math and tests in laboratories to substantiate their hypothosises and theories. what is the test for god?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2006, 06:35:48 pm »
just like how we are learning about stories of Islam and about that religion, but it's not Muslim school or anything.
[snapback]279610[/snapback]
That's different. Learning about the history of how a religion came to be and learning about practicing a religion are two completely different subjects.

I don't know about your school, but when I took world history, we learned about the rise of Christianity AND Islam.

ti89titanium

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2006, 06:39:05 pm »
us, too. However, we learned about practicing a religion--kind of, and how a religion came to be.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2006, 06:39:59 pm »
us, too. However, we learned about practicing a religion--kind of, and how a religion came to be.
[snapback]279629[/snapback]
Well yeah, basic background information is fine. The rise of the religions had an extreme effect on the history of the world.

carterhawk

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 08:49:59 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with teach about religion in school. in a class that is about that kind of thing. and doesnt teach any one religion as the be all end all. everyone should get to learn about the other religions in the world. in the right class. science class isnt it. If ID gets through, the next thing will be that they start teaching god created disease and if you get sick you were *designed* to get sick.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 12:00:25 am »
100% no. Religion has no place in science.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Lil Loco

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2006, 08:44:38 am »
ID doesnt belong in the classroom because you cant disprove it. every single scientific theory can be disproven. i mean hell, even newtonian physics break down at the very small level of the sub atomic. (for the simple: the stuff that makes up matter is not affected by such things as gravity). we have quantum theory to handle those. ID requires faith. Science requires observation.
------------------------------------------------------
The big bang doesnt require faith because no claim has been made outside of what can be observed and measured. Ill tell you the very simplest, most easily observed proof of the big bang: the universe is expanding. how do we know? doppler shift. that means that as a star moves away from us, its color gets more reddish, and astronomers can track star movement and have found that everything is moving outward towards the edge of the universe. No one has tried to state a fact about the begining the universe. the great thinkers like Hawking for example use math and tests in laboratories to substantiate their hypothosises and theories. what is the test for god?
[snapback]279611[/snapback]

no faith required to believe that it just appeared from no where?  none huh?

well, everyone'z pretty much solid on where they stand so there aint much point in dragging this on.  i'm outta here.

ernest310

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2006, 12:48:16 pm »
Ice Fox wrote:
Intelligent Design should be taught in schools. As should Evoloution. You should be able to choose without getting biased views on the subject.
Bingo! (Well, partially).  I think both should be taught.  The problem is that it proves nearly impossible to obtain non-biased views on the subject.  This very thread is a demonstration of how easily biases leak into so much of what we say.  We're so busy defending our respective points of view that critical thinking as such is essentially rendered nonexistent.  We "should" be getting non-biased views, but that rarely happens.

Ideally, we should take both sides of the debate and critically analyze them and arrive at our own conclusions.  The key is not to be swayed by the constant polemic of others, but rather to think for ourselves.

More to the point, I think that evolution as it's currently taught can fairly easily be placed into a biblical framework.  One could simply argue that the Christian God made it so it seems like dinosaurs once roamed the earth billions of years ago, and make the evidence seem like we evolved from apes or whatever.  It doesn't "prove" anything one way or another.

If we look closely, we see that the Bible is filled with great science.  Pore through the book of Leviticus and the Jews were given commands that, at the time, would have made no sense. But in the light of today's advances in medical science, the wisdom of the Bible-as-science shines through.

Why were Jewish males circumcized on the eighth day?  Well, that's what God commanded them to do in the Old Testament.  But there's actually a specific reason for this that medical science has only finally understood fairly recently.

Before the Lord ordained the ritual of circumcision for males, He arranged for the coagulating pro-enzyme called prothrombin to be at 130% of normal adult levels on the eighth day of life, and for natural analgesic enzymes in the blood to be at lifetime highs as well.

Circumcision on any other day can be a painful and bloody event, but on the eighth day of life it's remarkably less so. Of course, this is a fact the medical profession has only learned in the last century. Back then they just knew that everything worked better when they were obedient to God's commands.
Anyway, my point here is that the Bible is amazingly scientific on many levels.  The examples could be expanded manifold.  The Bible speaks of a "skin on our teeth" in the book of Job (chapter 19 verse 20), but it's only recently that dentists discovered that, indeed, teeth have a skin on them.