Poll

Should it be released in America?

Yes
9 (90%)
No
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Song of the South  (Read 9285 times)

carterhawk

Song of the South
« on: April 30, 2006, 06:46:57 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038969/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_Moutain

Song of the south is an old film, from 1946, and is one the earliest technicolor films to combine live action and animation. Its not a bad movie if you watch it, it has an interesting story and lots of musical numbers, a disney classic. Its such a well done movie that the ride Splash Mountain at the disney parks is themed after it. Why then hasnt it ever been released on video or dvd in america? because its set in the south. The deep, confederate, cotton plantation south. Before the civil rights movement, before the civil war. Now being a Disney movie it is not in any way overtly racist or discriminatory, it does however reflect the times, with blacks shown as being subserviant to whites. There is nothing hateful or mean or evil about it, although it may put the segregation in a more positive light that was ever true. So the question comes, have we as a society gotten far enough past the race issue to be able to handle this film without some kind of outrage? Is it still too soon for something controversial like this film to be available?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 06:53:15 pm by carterhawk »

Elizabeth Rose

Song of the South
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:29:02 pm »
It should definitely be put on DVD.  If we aren't able to accept Song of the South, then I don't know why the heck we regard Gone with the Wind as a classic.

bub1028

Song of the South
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:40:52 pm »
I think it should.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Song of the South
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:44:01 pm »
Yes, I do think it should be released. America is too afraid to ever admit their mistakes, and people are expected to go on acting like nothing ever happened.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Song of the South
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 07:40:38 pm »
It should definitely be put on DVD.  If we aren't able to accept Song of the South, then I don't know why the heck we regard Gone with the Wind as a classic.
[snapback]285732[/snapback]

Yes, I do think it should be released. America is too afraid to ever admit their mistakes, and people are expected to go on acting like nothing ever happened.
[snapback]285761[/snapback]

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Song of the South
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:48:53 pm »
We should release it. America needs to realize this is what the world used to be like, and we shouldn't act like it never was. You don't see Germany cover up Hitler, like nothing happened.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Snowthrower

Song of the South
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 12:26:38 pm »
People (especially children) need to learn that America did make mistakes and just because the movie is Disney, thats no reason not to release the movie.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Song of the South
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 02:47:15 am »
hmmm

I think that they're concerned that if it were released, that some americans would sue them for being racist, even though the movie is old.

I would like to see it released tho.

Snowthrower

Song of the South
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:29 pm »
hmmm

I think that they're concerned that if it were released, that some americans would sue them for being racist, even though the movie is old.

[snapback]286665[/snapback]

They cant get sued for freedom of speech.

Elizabeth Rose

Song of the South
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:59 pm »
hmmm

[snapback]287145[/snapback]
Not true.  I am pretty sure I could be sued if I stepped up and attacked Tom Cruise or someone and made a nation-wide scandal.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Song of the South
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 09:21:24 pm »
hmmm

Not true.  I am pretty sure I could be sued if I stepped up and attacked Tom Cruise or someone and made a nation-wide scandal.
[snapback]287149[/snapback]
That's different. He's got the power of Xenu on his side. :P

Snowthrower

Song of the South
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:05:52 pm »
hmmm

[snapback]287149[/snapback]

Thats libel; thats a completely different story.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:06:04 pm by Snowthrower »

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
Song of the South
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 03:50:51 pm »
it should...its like being racist or something if its not being allowed to come out..
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

enigmawing

Re: Song of the South
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 01:27:47 am »
Now that many older cartoons are being released with politically correct "warnings" by Whoopi Goldberg and Leonard Maltin, I see no reason that Song of the South couldn't be handled in the same way.  I've heard uncomfirmed rumors that it may be release as a "Treasures" set in the way that other politically-incorrect Disney material has been released in recent years, especially since the WWII propaganda films with other racist undertones are now available.

I saw the film in its last theatrical release (1986) and have since aquired a . . .copy of the laserdisc  Being that it's a period piece that takes place *after* slavery was abolished, there is no depiction of the "idylic slave-master relationship" as a famous reviewer once claimed.

And sadly enough, the symbolism of Uncle Remus is completely lost on those set against the film.  The original stories (before adapted by Walt) were supposed to be a positive inspiration to slaves seeking their freedom.  For example, the Tar Baby story was a warning for run-away slaves to be careful of getting caught because their appearance (yeah, it gets more involved than that).

Anyway, people should be allowed to see it for themselves and learn from our past rather than sweeping it under the rug and pretending it never existed.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: Song of the South
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 06:28:32 am »
^ I second that statement :P