Poll

Should Political Protests at Military Funerals be Allowed?

Yes
4 (20%)
No
16 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Funeral Protests?  (Read 16391 times)

carterhawk

Funeral Protests?
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:41:52 pm »
Please vote on this issue as best you feel. Discussion depends on how hte votes come in.

TailFin

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:43:23 pm »
Que pasa qui?  NUNCA!!!

Lil Loco

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:06:16 pm »
no...

Elizabeth Rose

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:07:02 pm »
No way.  The poor guys are dead and their families are hurting.  No need to make it worse.

carterhawk

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:21:06 pm »
note: there are links in here, the words law and westboro are linked, please use IPB Default to see links in my posts.

since i see the trend here, id like to bring up the reason why I feel that as much as these people are total a$$hats, they have the right to do so:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

By making a law that prevents the Westboro Baptist Church from protesting at funerals (who else does it, realy?), the government is infringing upon the rights of a minority group. While this may seem like a good thing, it isnt. The constitution gauruntees them the right to be as lame as they want, and for that right to be taken away is criminal. No this wont stop them from protesting, but it has the potentional to lead to that. When a government starts picking on the minorities and taking away their freedoms, and then starts taking away bigger freedoms, it gets too powerful. This is the sort of thing that happened in germany, starting with blaming the jews, then taging the jews, and finaly killing the jews. It happens everyday in china where the right of the people to say and think as they wish is continualy oppressed. America is fighting a war right now to give to the people of iraq the very rights it is taking away from the westboro group. I dont like what they say, and realy no one does, but the last thing that we should be doing is taking away their constitutionaly protected right to protest as they wish. it leads to a slipperly slope of continualy repressing free speech among unpopular groups, and could one day lead to forbiding the westboro and other groups from even existing. when the rights of one person are infringed upon, the rights of all persons are infringed upon.

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ---Evelyn Beatrice Hall, summarizing the beliefs of Voltaire.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:29:04 pm by carterhawk »

Lil Loco

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:12:34 pm »
disrespecting any soldier who paid the ultimate sacrafice for his country is straight up wrong.  and if someone is gonna reserve the right to say crap like that, then i should be able to reserve the right to whoop their ::Dolphin Noise:: for it.

if you dont like your country then get out, but i'll be dammed if it'll be looked at as ok to attack the name of the very people who fight to give you the rights you feel you should have.  stompin and yellin crap like that at a dead soldier's funeral should be just like yellin "i have a bomb" on an airplane...if you do it, you should be arrested and preferably get beaten for it.

carterhawk

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:22:58 pm »
disrespecting any soldier who paid the ultimate sacrafice for his country is straight up wrong.  and if someone is gonna reserve the right to say crap like that, then i should be able to reserve the right to whoop their ::Dolphin Noise:: for it.

if you dont like your country then get out, but i'll be dammed if it'll be looked at as ok to attack the name of the very people who fight to give you the rights you feel you should have.  stompin and yellin crap like that at a dead soldier's funeral should be just like yellin "i have a bomb" on an airplane...if you do it, you should be arrested and preferably get beaten for it.
[snapback]289427[/snapback]

no, there is a big difference between falsely yelling fire in a theatre, and telling someone you think their son deserved to die. You have the right to hate them and want to pound their asses, but if you do physicaly attack them, then that's battery and you would be in the wrong. Until their words and actions start causing actual violations of the law (Read This Link) then what they are doing is not legaly wrong. Not only that, but two wrongs don't make a right. You dump a girl and she is hurt. Is it right for her father to come kick your ::Dolphin Noise:: to make her feel better? Not at all. One of the founding principles of this country is the right to do as you wish so long as it doesnt infringe on that same right for other people. The best thing we can do is to let them go right on saying what they want where they want, and let the people of america just stop listening to them. the problem will take care of itself over time as people start recognizing them in public and confronting them, or refusing to do business with them. it should be the people that deal with this, not the government.

but who am i to talk? im not a great writer by any means, however if you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian you get an idea of where i stand.

Lil Loco

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35:30 pm »
You dump a girl and she is hurt.  Is it right for her father to come kick your ::Dolphin Noise:: to make her feel better?
[snapback]289440[/snapback]

if the guy verbally or physically hurt the girl, with no regard for her feelings or the feeling of her family...then hell yea, the dad should beat the fool.

trust me, i know exactly wut you're tryin to say...but where i stand is where i stand.  disrespecting a guardian of your freedom on those grounds is unacceptable and i feel that the law should not protect you if you're going to do it...thats my opinion and it'll always stay the same.

carterhawk

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:41:04 pm »
You dump a girl and she is hurt.  Is it right for her father to come kick your ::Dolphin Noise:: to make her feel better?
[snapback]289440[/snapback]

if the guy verbally or physically hurt the girl, with no regard for her feelings or the feeling of her family...then hell yea, the dad should beat the fool.

trust me, i know exactly wut you're tryin to say...but where i stand is where i stand.  disrespecting a guardian of your freedom on those grounds is unacceptable and i feel that the law should not protect you if you're going to do it...thats my opinion and it'll always stay the same.
[snapback]289442[/snapback]

and you have the right to that opinion, a right that you would deny the protestors. what makes you more deserving of freedom than them?

Lil Loco

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:43:18 pm »
i aint more deserving of freedom than them.  no one should slander the name our troops in this country...i aint just sayin that particular group of people.  it should apply to everyone.

Elizabeth Rose

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 10:56:32 pm »
That church of dips does have the right to protest.  So, I say the living relatives of these families should have the right to whoop them good for being so disrespectful.  It's a cryin' shame that anyone would be so hateful, though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:56:55 pm by Elizabeth Rose »

garyfan

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 06:15:13 am »
No, you need to respect the person that died. But then again, you do have the freedom to assemble peacefully. It is still being extremely disrespectful to doo that.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Funeral Protests?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 07:05:05 am »
Hell no they shouldn't. That is disgusting that they would even think about doing that.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
Funeral Protests?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 12:28:01 pm »
disrespecting any soldier who paid the ultimate sacrafice for his country is straight up wrong.  and if someone is gonna reserve the right to say crap like that, then i should be able to reserve the right to whoop their ::Dolphin Noise:: for it.

if you dont like your country then get out, but i'll be dammed if it'll be looked at as ok to attack the name of the very people who fight to give you the rights you feel you should have.  stompin and yellin crap like that at a dead soldier's funeral should be just like yellin "i have a bomb" on an airplane...if you do it, you should be arrested and preferably get beaten for it.
[snapback]289427[/snapback]

i coldnt agree more with you on this one
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

carterhawk

Funeral Protests?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 03:28:12 pm »
Okay then, so we have most of you against the first ammendment. Should i take then that most of you also hate america? because america is about freedom of expression. There is no place on this planet more tolerant of unpopular speech. Maybe you would all prefer to go live in germany where its practicaly illegal to even talk about Nazi's now. Or perhaps communist china where expressing your thoughts about the government could get you *elminated* from existing. Your all hypocrites. You claim to support america but at the same time would destroy what america stands for in order to protect it.