Poll

Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?

Yes
No
Other (requires an explination)

Author Topic: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?  (Read 47115 times)

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:07:06 am »
A recent debate turned up in my Media Studies class today, we all had a discussion about violence in video games causing kids to reinact them...you know...a video game involving a weapon...lets say, a knife...they kid after playing it goes into the kitchen and grabs a knife and starts acting like they do in the video game and nearly kills someone.

There have been countless news articles over situations like this, plus many on the situation on 'Video Games Linked To Agression In Teenagers'.

In my personal opinion, kids under the age of 15 shouldn't even be playing on video games with such violence unless they are certainly mature enough.
My parents knew I was mature enough to play on GTA, and they where right.
In fact, I find the video game to be VERY stress-releaving.....especially at this point in my life where the pressures of College and society really begin to mount on my shoulders, blowing up an AI Car takes it all away.

I decided to put this here since it is a debate...even if it's about VG.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Chrono

Re: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:25:59 am »
Yes, they're a bad influence on everyone. You could get addicted, play it 3 days straight, and start pretending the game is real life and go on some retarded killing spree.

spongebobnet

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:01:20 pm »
last yesr i've been playing sims bustin out 3 hours or more.I stopped now because i got bored of it.it is a bad influence.

Chrono

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:07:01 pm »
last yesr i've been playing sims bustin out 3 hours or more.I stopped now because i got bored of it.it is a bad influence.
That's not a bad influence. A bad influence would be if you actually did something from the game. Getting addicted to it and playing it a lot isn't exactly a bad influence...

bub1028

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11:20 pm »
Yes, it can be a bad influence.  Unless you're a certain age, let's say 14, you shouldn't be playing games with major weapons, like Vice City.  Of course I do anyway and get addicted...  :)

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 12:17:43 pm »
A recent debate turned up in my Media Studies class today, we all had a discussion about violence in video games causing kids to reinact them...you know...a video game involving a weapon...lets say, a knife...they kid after playing it goes into the kitchen and grabs a knife and starts acting like they do in the video game and nearly kills someone.

There have been countless news articles over situations like this, plus many on the situation on 'Video Games Linked To Agression In Teenagers'.

In my personal opinion, kids under the age of 15 shouldn't even be playing on video games with such violence unless they are certainly mature enough.
My parents knew I was mature enough to play on GTA, and they where right.
In fact, I find the video game to be VERY stress-releaving.....especially at this point in my life where the pressures of College and society really begin to mount on my shoulders, blowing up an AI Car takes it all away.

I decided to put this here since it is a debate...even if it's about VG.
Dead on. It is up to the parents, and the kid to be able to prove s/he is mature enough to handle it. I think it is bull when (and this is linking to an actual news story) a car crashed, and they found a copy of Need for Speed Underground 2 at the site, and blamed EA, when it was not Electronic Art's fault. I also think it is bull when all violent games are linked to things such as a teenager shooting down a school.

SBNet, I have played The Sims 2 for hours on end (try 12 one time, usually no more than 5)...when my parents are away that is  :wacko:

Anyways, I should be doing homework, but logged in real quick to refresh my brain, so I will write more later, but bassically, Sarah is dead on about the maturity issue. I also find stress relief when I play video games.

spongebobnet

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:40:32 pm »
i played sims 2 but it is not as good as bustin out.Bustin out you get to have a family and have babys.and the people are not as ugly as sims 2.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:30 pm »
i played sims 2 but it is not as good as bustin out.Bustin out you get to have a family and have babys.and the people are not as ugly as sims 2.
Kinda going off topic, but The Sims 2 you can have more expansive familes as well a children that age, and the Create-A-Sim is way more expansive, you can litterally make your Sim look anyway you want. I think you thinking of the console version of the Sims 2. If so, yeah, that sucked. The original PC release of The Sims 2 (Plus expansions) is much better.

Patback399

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:09:34 pm »
*plays Tetris as he's reading the topic*

*blocks fill up to top*

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIE DIE DIE! *smashed keyboard* NO! NO! I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO TAUNTS ME! THIS SUCKS!

As for the question, no.

spongebobnet

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 01:20:06 pm »
Kinda going off topic, but The Sims 2 you can have more expansive familes as well a children that age, and the Create-A-Sim is way more expansive, you can litterally make your Sim look anyway you want. I think you thinking of the console version of the Sims 2. If so, yeah, that sucked. The original PC release of The Sims 2 (Plus expansions) is much better.
yes,i was talking about consoles.I want to have PC but i can't put more stuff into this computer.

spongebobnet

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31:58 pm »
Yes, they're a bad influence on everyone. You could get addicted, play it 3 days straight, and start pretending the game is real life and go on some retarded killing spree.
t
That's not a bad influence. A bad influence would be if you actually did something from the game. Getting addicted to it and playing it a lot isn't exactly a bad influence...
they involve sex in the game.And fighting,and doing naughty things.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:33:29 pm »
Yes. I think you should be a certain age to play video games period. I think they should make a law where the ratings determine if the child can play. For instance

10 year old boy: Mom can you buy me GRand theft auto?
snob mom who buys child anything: sure lets go get it

Store clerk: Im sorry, but i cant sell this game to you, your child is definetly not 18.

Then the clerk goes on and explains all the bad things in the game. Say something about killing the rich people in the game and steal their shopping bags and money, chances are rich snobby mom will say no to son.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 02:41:53 pm »
Yes. I think you should be a certain age to play video games period. I think they should make a law where the ratings determine if the child can play. For instance

10 year old boy: Mom can you buy me GRand theft auto?
snob mom who buys child anything: sure lets go get it

Store clerk: Im sorry, but i cant sell this game to you, your child is definetly not 18.

Then the clerk goes on and explains all the bad things in the game. Say something about killing the rich people in the game and steal their shopping bags and money, chances are rich snobby mom will say no to son.

...Most game stores already do that...if I am not mistaken, the law in most states require Game Stores to not sell Mature rated video games to minors without parental consent at the time of purchase. For example, I went to GameStop to by Fable: The Lost Chapters, which is rated M for some reason I am yet to understand. They clerks are required to tell you the ESRB details given on the box, and explain what it means.

Patback399

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 02:59:54 pm »
Not all rich people are snobs, you know.

Bill Gates certainly isn't.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 04:02:17 pm »
They need to go into more of detail into the game. i know down here they hardly say anything and they take your money and you leave.

I never said all rich people are snobs. I have Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and grandparents who are rollin in dough. Point being, *most* rich people are snobs. not all

Especially a doctors wife, they are horrible.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty