Poll

Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?

Yes
No
Other (requires an explination)

Author Topic: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?  (Read 47131 times)

Chrono

Re: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 04:10:06 pm »
Yes, they're a bad influence on everyone. You could get addicted, play it 3 days straight, and start pretending the game is real life and go on some retarded killing spree.
t
last yesr i've been playing sims bustin out 3 hours or more.I stopped now because i got bored of it.it is a bad influence.
That's not a bad influence. A bad influence would be if you actually did something from the game. Getting addicted to it and playing it a lot isn't exactly a bad influence...
they involve sex in the game.And fighting,and doing naughty things.
Well has it had any effect on you? And srsly, the fighting in Sims are about as bad as Super Smash Bros.

bub1028

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »
Yes, they're a bad influence on everyone. You could get addicted, play it 3 days straight, and start pretending the game is real life and go on some retarded killing spree.
t
last yesr i've been playing sims bustin out 3 hours or more.I stopped now because i got bored of it.it is a bad influence.
That's not a bad influence. A bad influence would be if you actually did something from the game. Getting addicted to it and playing it a lot isn't exactly a bad influence...
they involve sex in the game.And fighting,and doing naughty things.
Dude, I don't think that we're exactly talking about Sims type games here, not that it's exactly a peachy-clean game, but we're talking more Grand-Theft-Auto here.

One violent (sort of) game that I'm addicted to is Agent 007 with my friends.  I suck so bad at it and it's so funny because I'm just clueless.  But that's only rated T...

Offline Spider-Boogie

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://allyour.basearebelongto.us/setting-up/bombs.html
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »
They can be. I play Jak 2 and 3 a lot, and both are insanely violent, but I'm not gonna go pick up a gun and fire at people. They should both be rated M, not only for violence, but there's lots of bad language in both.
April Fool: I'm the April Fool. What's up with that?
Timmy: It's official, this guy sucks. I wish he was somewhere else!
*Poof!*
Timmy: Where'd you guys poof him to?
*Both fairies give evil smiles*
April Fool: I never asked for this!
Jorgen: Shut up, or I'll have Chuck Norris roundhouse kick you in the face again!

Rachel is my USB wife <3
Vicky is also my USB wife <3

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:34 pm »
They need to go into more of detail into the game. i know down here they hardly say anything and they take your money and you leave.
No they don't. All the need to do, and should need to do is say what is on the box. That explains it enough. For example, Fable: The Lost Chapters is rated M for the following:

Blood, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, Violence

What do you think is in the game? By looking at that, I think Violence, Cursing, Sexual Themes, and Blood. It's flat out, right there for you, and if you are too stupid to understand what the description means, you should not be allowed anyone near a gaming store, nor a video store for that matter. When you see a movie trailer, for say, Mission Impossible III. The movie is rated PG-13, and the reasons why are explained. I saw the movie. It was violent (not a lot of blood, but a good deal of violence), and did I feel like bombing a bridge at the end? No. I felt like laughing at the cheesy ending of an otherwise excellent movie, but I did not feel like blowing anything up/killing anyone, nor can I assure, did anyone else in that theatre. It is up to the store to give you the proper information, which they do fine job of, and the parent to not be stupid, and decide wether or not their kid is mature enough/stable enough to handle such a game. (Same goes with movies)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:48:33 pm by IceFox »

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 06:51:56 pm »
Yes but not all parents or people are intelligent and look at the back.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »
Which is why I stated, the law in most states requires the clerks to read what is written on the box to the parents if the game is rated M.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 06:54:23 pm »
Which is why I stated, the law in most states requires the clerks to read what is written on the box to the parents if the game is rated M.

But as I said alot of clerks here dont explain it or give a damn. i went in the store, bought wedding crashers for my psp and she just rang it up. i bought the uncorked one as well. had some pretty bad stuff in it.
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 06:56:59 pm »

But as I said alot of clerks here dont explain it or give a damn. i went in the store, bought wedding crashers for my psp and she just rang it up. i bought the uncorked one as well. had some pretty bad stuff in it.
Actually the corked version has nudity as well...
And that is the fault of the clerk, for not doing there job.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 07:00:25 pm »

That's the clerk's fault, not the PSP's fault.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 07:01:05 pm »
But still. Point being, is that they need some type of law for kids. If you are mature enough then you should be able to get the games you want. I dont think anyone under the age of 14 should be playing any drasticly violent video games.

Therefore growing up with them in early childhood could pose as a bad example and children tend to imatate behavior wich they find "cool" and is in later terms being very innappropriate.
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:08 pm »

That's the clerk's fault, not the PSP's fault.
Best rebuttal post ever.  ^_^

Quote from: garygirl
But still. Point being, is that they need some type of law for kids. If you are mature enough then you should be able to get the games you want. I dont think anyone under the age of 14 should be playing any drasticly violent video games.

Therefore growing up with them in early childhood could pose as a bad example and children tend to imatate behavior wich they find "cool" and is in later terms being very innappropriate.
How do you expect the clerks to know if your kid is mature enough or not? With age does NOT come maturity, in any way possible. Maturity comes with expierence. For example, a 6-year old who has witnessed death, is most likely going to be more mature at 13, than a teenage punk at 16.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 07:07:54 pm »

But there are still some definite problems here.  You can't make it illegal for kids to play games intended for adults.  If the parents don't care then they are gonna buy those games for their kids anyway.  My sister-in-law bought Grand Theft Auto for my nephew, who was 11 or 12 at the time, knowing full well what was in the game.  She did not care.  That said, my nephew may be a brat, but he hasn't gone and blown any hooker's heads off yet.

Besides, how would we ensure that anyone under 14 doesn't play those games.  Are we going to have hidden cameras in the home or something?  This is one of those issues that you can't control.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 07:25:18 pm »
I just think they should be more cautios when selling the game. My uncle bought my bratty 8 year old cousin the game when he was 6. Noiw what does that tell you? That kid is spoiled rotten
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 07:27:08 pm »
I just think they should be more cautios when selling the game. My uncle bought my bratty 8 year old cousin the game when he was 6. Noiw what does that tell you? That kid is spoiled rotten
And this is the fault of the ESRB, MPAA, Video Game Stores, George Lucas's Mom, Video Stores, and the Entire Film and Gaming Industry, The Government....how?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:28:58 pm by IceFox »

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 07:29:23 pm »
I never said it was their fault. I just think it should be listed in a seperate section of the store for gaming. for instance an "adult game section adults only" section where only adults can go in and get the game. Maybe then the parents will realize "wow this might be something not very good for my child to play"
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002