Poll

Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?

Yes
No
Other (requires an explination)

Author Topic: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?  (Read 47053 times)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: Are Video Games A Bad Influence On Kids?
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2006, 04:44:25 pm »
it depends on the kinds of people.You people are to smart to do crazy stuff.

Are you trying to insinuate that only stupid people from the ghetto go and kill people because they play games?

carterhawk

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2006, 06:54:11 pm »

Are you trying to insinuate that only stupid people from the ghetto go and kill people because they play games?
Hey now, tom leykis is from the south bronx and he is worth millions. Being from a bad neighborhood doesnt mean you have to be bad.  Your life *is* what you make of it. Fact is that stupid people kill other people and stupid people are everywhere.

carterhawk

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2006, 06:56:20 pm »
If you're parents continue to hit you with the belt, its called child abuse. Report it.
Hell no it isn't.  I got spanked with a belt many a time, and I deserved it every time.

You should get smacked or spanked with the belt. A police officer came to my house ( my brother went crazy and punche dout his window and was trying to kill us with a knife a few weeks ago) and the police officer said its perfectly leagle to spank your children with a belt. He does it to his kids if they dont listen.

He said as long as your not punching the child or kicking them or assaulting them then its fine.

Seems like the last thing your brother needs is to fear his family, which may already be the case considering his actions. If someone is not mentaly developed enough to understand that using violence against others is wrong, they must not be taught that violence against others is okay, least of all by their parents.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2006, 07:12:46 pm »
If you're parents continue to hit you with the belt, its called child abuse. Report it.
Hell no it isn't.  I got spanked with a belt many a time, and I deserved it every time.

You should get smacked or spanked with the belt. A police officer came to my house ( my brother went crazy and punche dout his window and was trying to kill us with a knife a few weeks ago) and the police officer said its perfectly leagle to spank your children with a belt. He does it to his kids if they dont listen.

He said as long as your not punching the child or kicking them or assaulting them then its fine.

Seems like the last thing your brother needs is to fear his family, which may already be the case considering his actions. If someone is not mentaly developed enough to understand that using violence against others is wrong, they must not be taught that violence against others is okay, least of all by their parents.

The police said it was fine. He never gets spanked, he gets the computer taken away and other things which he gets pissed over and punches his windows out. And hes not afraid of anybody.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2006, 07:43:18 pm »
Hey now, tom leykis is from the south bronx and he is worth millions. Being from a bad neighborhood doesnt mean you have to be bad.  Your life *is* what you make of it. Fact is that stupid people kill other people and stupid people are everywhere.
I'M STUPID!!!!! lol

Naa...I just hear every day down at community college in Pittsburgh...kids that live there saying "I'm so stupid I'll never get this job as a mechanical engineer"...So I always associate someone saying stupid with ghetto...my bad :P

spongebobnet

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2006, 12:02:28 pm »

Correct

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2006, 01:03:19 pm »

That problem can easily be resolved by EDUCATION....and any who try to drop out should be hooked to a computer and forced to learn everything.
Our intelligence is the only thing that seperates us from animals.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Wilytank

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2006, 09:07:31 am »
Only with ones with sexual content.  I'm okay with violence.

aligirl

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2006, 04:34:07 am »
It can depend on how mature and/or young the gamer is. I think video games with violence, sexual content or drug reference needs some sort of warning that it's just a bunch of colorful pixels on a TV screen, not real life.

Patback399

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2006, 09:12:52 am »
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"
- Dick Cavett

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2006, 02:38:45 am »
I've not read the entire topic, so I'll say what I think.

Video games can't take all the blame.  It should be the state of society in general.

All forms of media place a large emphasis on violence, sex, etc.  This is because those are the things that catch the attention of people.  Those things cause media to sell.

Because of the way media is presented, kids are shown more and more violence every day and some of them to start to think "I wonder what it would be like to shoot someone" or "What would happen if I pulled a knife on someone?"   After all of this, a few kids get crazy and decide to try it.  Then when we see it on the news, it makes less of an impact on us because now we are hardened.  We see violence as less of an issue than it used to be.

Media in general can't be the only reason either.  There has ALWAYS been violence in media...even in older cartoons that our parents grew up watching.  Even live action shows with western themes.  There is a ton of violence in those.  It's not only media, but the upbringing.  Parents play a large role in this.

Parents aren't taking initiative and monitoring what their kids see and hear.  Video games, movies, television shows, and music (to an extent) have some form of rating system.  All video games in the US are rated by the ESRB and then on the back of the case, it explains why the game was given its rating.  Movies are rated by the MPAA and often the reasons for the rating are given.  Television is given ratings (shown in the top corner of the screen throughout the program) by the FCC and along with the rating, codes are given to tell why it was rated.  And the RIAA places parental advisory stickers on music deemed offensive and sometimes explains why.  The opportunity to monitor a child's intake is there; most parents just don't use it.

So placing the blame on video games is unfair.  Placing the blame on society as a whole is the fair way.

Offline Shinya

• Gary
  • 널 앤드 보이드
    • View Profile
    • spambots hmu
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2006, 02:22:26 pm »
You are who you are. Ultimately, you decide what your path is. This kind of "video games influencing kids" thing is just, figuratively, a bumpy and treacherous detour. In the end, you have to tell yourself whether you let yourself be thrown off or stay where you see is appropriate. I should know, I have lots of experience with  gory games. But did I shoot anyone? No. Did I go crazy and exhibit behaviors akin to Grand Theft Auto? No. Because I chose not to follow the path the violence and raunchiness was making for me.
[HIDEOUT]

spongebob4lyfe

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2006, 04:51:49 am »
I believe that games are a bad influence on kids.