Poll

Is the use of the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegience unconsitutional?

Yes
4 (40%)
No
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: "Under God"  (Read 16518 times)

Patback399

"Under God"
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:08:18 pm »
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/california-students-ban-pledge-of/20061110073709990026?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Until now, I was convinced that the Pledge of Allegience was fine as it is. But I realized that it requires people to pledge allegience to God. And I believe it's unconstitutional.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Re: "Under God"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:31:16 pm »
Banning it is just flat out stupid. Making it optional is not.

Patback399

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 04:04:15 pm »
Banning it is just flat out stupid. Making it optional is not.

My thoughts exactly.

I mean, you could just omit it.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:15:51 pm »
I think if you dont believe in God, just dont say that part. Or sit down for the pledge. Thats what we do here. But I mean just saying it isn't really offending anybody..
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Biggie

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »
Sadly, this is where I lose all of my "starting" (generally neutral or good) reputation.  I just can't resist.

I've noticed that every other atheist I have ever seen is extremely proactive about their beliefs.  I have no problem with this until they get ridiculous and get aggressive, like with this situation.  This kind of stuff is unheard of, if you ask me.  I'm sorry, but people who agree with this are taking everything too seriously.  These are the kinds of people who are take the Bible too literally and criticize it because it's not true - a majority of the stories are just moralistic or emphasize general beliefs.  I'd rather not go deeper, because I can go on with this topic for hours and annoy everyone to death.

This is unconstitutional.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:48:35 pm »
Sadly, this is where I lose all of my "starting" (generally neutral or good) reputation.  I just can't resist.

I've noticed that every other atheist I have ever seen is extremely proactive about their beliefs.  I have no problem with this until they get ridiculous and get aggressive, like with this situation.  This kind of stuff is unheard of, if you ask me.  I'm sorry, but people who agree with this are taking everything too seriously.  These are the kinds of people who are take the Bible too literally and criticize it because it's not true - a majority of the stories are just moralistic or emphasize general beliefs.  I'd rather not go deeper, because I can go on with this topic for hours and annoy everyone to death.

Thank and you. I could not agree more.

spongebobnet

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »
Yeah,what he said.Who cares.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:01:12 pm »

I think you should choose to say it or not. But the rest of the pledge I think you should say if you live in America.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:02:23 pm »
I think if you dont believe in God, just dont say that part. Or sit down for the pledge. Thats what we do here. But I mean just saying it isn't really offending anybody..

That's what we do here, and it works just fine.

But, when elementary kids first learn the pledge, do they have the knowledge at such a young age to decide whether or not they believe in God? Many people that I know proclaim that they didn't truly believe until they were high-school age...

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 05:09:19 pm »
I vote for taking it out. It's not even part of the original pledge. It was added in the '50s to seperate the USA from the USSR.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:26:39 pm »
Its not required for people to say that phrase. Leave it in.

Patback399

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:37:46 pm »
I made my final decsision.

If the pledge is to be required of immigrants and students, then the words "under God" should be taken out. If it's going to be unofficial and not required, they can stay in.

For instance, "God Bless America" isn't an official song or pledge like the Pledge of Allegience is.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 05:55:27 am »
As far as I know, saying the Pledge isn't required. There were alteast 5 or so kids in my 3rd grade class whose parents sent in forms saying that they didn't have to say it.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:17 am »

I think you should choose to say it or not. But the rest of the pledge I think you should say if you live in America.

I don't say the pledge or stand facing the American flag during the national anthem.  It's an act of rebellion.

The only flag I will ever own is the one that was draped over my father's casket at his funeral and I will only own it because it's a reminder of him.

That being said, I believe it's a person's choice to say the pledge or not, and also their choice to omit what they don't believe.  If someone is against using the term "under God" then let them leave it out.  It's basically the same as me not saying the pledge at all because I refuse to show allegiance to some icon of patriotism that is made to basically make people want to fight.

aligirl

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:54:41 pm »
My teacher from 7th grade told my class the pledge is a promise to the country to be loyal, and that not understanding & agreeing with it is simply un-american. However, the line "Under God" can be bad because someone might not beleive in god (excluding me). In my opinion, that one phrase should just be optional.