Author Topic: Hints for adults  (Read 19103 times)

Nenial

Hints for adults
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:51:16 am »

HomestarCutie7

Re: Hints for adults
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
I never knew that...

ernest310

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:44:53 pm »
You could write War and Peace-length books that discuss the various issues this show brings up.  The sexual side is definitely there, and I think this writer brought in some great insights, including a discussion of the show's fixation on nudity, which I've brought up here several times.  The question becomes whether the writer, "Squiddi," is reading too much into the episodes, especially "Karate Choppers."  But others would say, "that's the point"--you can never read too much into a given work, be it a movie, a cartoon, a painting, a video game, a TV show, etc., etc., etc.  It's precisely the multiple meanings that different people can get out of a given work that, in part, gives it that staying power.  Squiddi's statement near the end regarding children and adults, that "Both can sit in the living room together and laugh for different reasons" is partially what makes the show so popular and successful.  As I've said in previous posts, children aren't going to get 99% of these sexual innuendos.  They'll watch "Karate Choppers" and never come near the conclusions Squiddi did.  At least, we hope they won't.  (If they do, there's entirely different issues to be concerned with....)

Again, you could discuss these issues seemingly forever.  For instance, I've discussed in previous posts about such episodes as "The Secret Box," which has some very deep underlying themes about the complexity of interpersonal relationships, and "Club Spongebob," which has religious themes galore, even if religion itself is never mentioned beyond Patrick's statement "Maybe he's [Squidward's] not a brother."

Through (primarily) the character of Mr. Krabs, this show speaks volumes about the effects of capitalism upon our world and our psyches.  The writers foreground the irrationality of capitalism, for example, in the episode "Culture Shock" when Mr. Krabs falls on (and breaks!) one of his tables, just to beat Spongebob to the penny.  This begs the question, "isn't the table worth more than the penny?"  We see both the greed and the disruption of human relationships in the episode "One Krabs Trash."  Think about it: once Mr. Krabs discovers how much the soda-drinking hat is worth, why not simply tell Spongebob himself?  Instead, intent on getting the full value for only himself, Mr. Krabs goes to absurd lengths to get the hat away from Spongebob.

There are more examples, to be sure.  However, the 2 episodes that best exemplify the effects of capitalism are "Squid on Strike" and "Born Again Krabs."  There are underlying messages galore that are every bit as deep as what Squiddi wrote about regarding sexual themes.

Anyway, the article was interesting, and I think Squiddi definitely made some great points in as objective a manner as possible.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:10 pm »
That guy is one sick pervert.

Band8PGeek

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:46:31 am »
You forgot Hooky! Hooky could be used to teach kids the dangers of addiction, or getting 'hooked'.
That and Just One Bite.

David

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:53 am »
I believe in the SB/Snady relationship too, but that's just weird...

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:45:01 pm »
I watched Karate Choppers for the first time in years a couple weeks ago, and I did notice how much karate is a euphemism for sex in the episode.  It's no conspiracy, or attempt to corrupt children, or even an attempt to write in a hidden relationship between SpongeBob and Sandy; its just a way to make the show appeal to all ages, and frankly, its funny.

Squiddi and ernest310 do bring up excellent points though.  The show has a surprising amount of social discourse for a cartoon about sea creatures.  For example, you could take the episode "Selling Out" to be a thinly veiled criticism of the death of mom-and-pop America at the hands of conformist capitalism.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Sb129

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 07:15:34 pm »
I never noticed that, eh atleast it  proves the whole SB is gay thingerongeven more. :D

Your'e sick dude!

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:48:07 pm »
ernest310, you really need to post here more often.

Your posts are really good. :)

ernest310

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 04:11:10 pm »
Cool thanks! Much appreciated.

Nenial

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:00:59 pm »
*** deleted ***
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:44:15 am by Nenial »

bub1028

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 01:27:47 pm »
Are you kidding me? Whoever wrote that piece of sh** is a complete pervert and needs to get to an institution. 

Squiddi

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 10:22:32 am »
What do you think of that?!

http://spongebob.sb.forumcommunity.net/?t=2853918
Blank to all, 
I am Stefania from you known with the name of Squiddi. They are Italian and I have 20 years. 
You write to you in order to complain to me because you have given to me of the pervertita one unjustly since that article it I have not written.
That text that you have read I have found it in one gallery on DeviatART from one sure Animae04 in the web site: Sex In A Children’s Show Before accusing people and taking it for the nose, postandomi the link of your forum from me speaking badly about me, pensateci two times and fatevi a search and you inquire yourselves. 
I that text it have only postato in my forum but it I have not written! Also to me he would appeal to to know who has written it.
I am not good of English and I am only able to use the translators automati to us: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

In Italiano:
Salve a tutti,
Io sono Stefania da voi conosciuta con il nome di Squiddi. Sono Italiana e ho 20 anni.
Vi scrivi per lamentarmi perché mi avete dato della pervertita ingiustamente dato che quell'articolo non l'ho scritto io.
Quel testo che avete letto l'ho trovato in una galleria su DeviatART da una certa Animae04 nel web site: Sex In A Children’s Show
Prima di accusare la gente e prenderla per il naso, postandomi il link del vostro forum da me parlando male di me, pensateci due volte e fatevi una ricerca e informatevi.
Io quel testo l'ho solo postato nel mio forum ma non l'ho scritto io! Anche a me piacerebbe sapere chi lo ha scritto.
Io non sono brava di Inglese e sono solo capace di usare i traduttori automatici: http://babelfish.altavista.com/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:24:07 am by Squiddi »

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:06 am »
Ah. People like the ones who wrote the article are the reason season 4 sucks.

Nenial

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 01:01:49 pm »
Hello Squiddi, nice to read you!
I didn't want to insult you. I also don't want to insult Annie-Mae. In my opinion she wrote a great ironic text. She is a big fan - I've seen her fan art: http://tfbb.sponge-buddy.net/index.php?option=com_akogallery&Itemid=53&func=viewcategory&catid=105