Author Topic: SpongeBob Wiki?  (Read 4167 times)

Clever Patrick

SpongeBob Wiki?
« on: April 10, 2007, 03:31:21 pm »
Hey! Does anyone want to help out with a spongebob wiki?
I found out about this fan forum and hoped someone would help.
I'm making the wiki thru wikia.

If 20 of you are willing, then they will accept the spongebob wiki! What do you think?

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Re: SpongeBob Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:25:43 pm »
Hmm, one used to exist.  I guess it died off.  Anyway, I don't think its worthwhile.  Wikipedia has a reasonably complete amount of information about SpongeBob.  Creating a dedicated wiki would simply dilute the information rather than adding more.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

ernest310

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:41:13 pm »
Speaking of the wikipedia entries, I had actually considered posting a message here regarding some of the wikipedia entries on the specific Spongebob episodes.

Many are good, but some of them are actually quite weak and even contain various kinds of errors.  Some are direct errors, while others are errors of inference.

Let me give some quick examples of the latter in the page for the 4th season episode "Driven to Tears."  Here's a quote from the plot summary:

Then Patrick decides to take the driving test, believing that SpongeBob's tests were actually being manipulated by Mrs. Puff. He comes up to SpongeBob and says that he passed and got a driver's license. At first SpongeBob is happy, however people start treating Patrick like a celebrity. He even gets his own hot rod, something which makes SpongeBob envious.

This isn't completely accurate.  First off, Spongebob is never happy for Patrick (until the end of the episode); he shows his envy from the get-go.  In addition, Patrick doesn't "get" a hot rod, he "wins" it.  And it's the hot rod that makes him a celebrity--the entry here makes it seem like folks start treating him like a celebrity independently.

Later in the summary:

Patrick has do some time in the slammer for not having his driver's license.

This is simply not true.  He goes to jail for littering.  That's part of the intended humor: he "should" be going to jail for leading the police on a chase that results in the destruction of property--mainly the police cars that fall off the cliff.  Not having a driver's license has nothing to do with it (the littering was Patrick's license that Spongebob had ripped up.)

There are other examples like this.  My point is that this is a fairly weak entry.  And I apologize if the writer is a frequenter of this board.  Hopefully I've made my argument.

I was consider going in there and re-writing some of the summaries.  Like I said, many are good, and I'd go after the weaker ones.

Sb129

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
I agree with Cmonkey. There's too many wikis about stuff that dosen't have enough info. I can understand about Star Wars, Simpsons, Food &  Guns,etc... because those have tuns of info that can't fiton wikipedia.