Poll

Where do your ethical beliefs lie? (If you do not understand these words then read bellow first).

Deontology
Utilitarianism
Virtue theory

Author Topic: Ethics and you  (Read 8608 times)

spongehead 32

Ethics and you
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:58:44 am »
Deontology
The idea that we have duties to uphold to, whether these duties are to follow the laws set by a greater being (divine command ethics) or that we have duties to do what is right for no other reason than because they are the right thing to do.

Utilitarianism
Maximising the amount of happiness in the world and minimizing to amount of suffering

Virtue theory
Trying to lead a virtuous life by doing things that are in line with the cardinal virtues: courage, wisdom and temperance and in doing so fulfilling the fourth virtue of justice. Some may also involve the metaphysical virtues: faith, hope and charity.

I would prefer not to add the fourth option of "all of the above" because I am sure that most people would just chose that option as an easy way out so please don't ask for one.

If the above descriptions aren't precise enough, just ask and I will try to expand on them.

By the way, your vote is not final, you are allowed to change your mind.

Lil Loco

Re: Ethics and you
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:21:45 pm »
My ethics fall under each of these categories though.

David

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:31:37 pm »
My ethics fall under each of these categories though.
Yeah. Same here.

spongehead 32

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:32:38 pm »
Then explain what your ethics are and maybe you will be able to draw which one is the core one, the one you use the most in your decisions.

Bare in mind, it isn't the ethics you only use that I ask you for, it's the ethics that you use primarily in comparison to the others.

Patback399

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:05:39 pm »
I mostly support deontology, because utilitarianism claims that the ends justify the means, which I believe is false. The means by which someone does something is usually more important than what is accomplished.

Lil Loco

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:35:44 pm »
Deontology is the main ideaology that my ethics are based on.  And yeah, I guess utilitarianism is a form of consequentialism, which I don't agree with.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:45:55 pm by Lil Loco »

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:56:09 pm »
I believe in the philosophy of absolute free will as long as you do no harm unto others or yourself. I don't like to define morals or ethics as everyone has their own set of morals and ethics. But I more or less am Libertarian in my social and ethical beliefs. I believe weed, prostitution, and the like should be legalized, because whose right is it to make laws about what two consenting adults do with each other, or on their own... like I said, as long as they don't harm themselves or each other.

Patback399

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05:48 pm »
I believe in the philosophy of absolute free will as long as you do no harm unto others or yourself. I don't like to define morals or ethics as everyone has their own set of morals and ethics. But I more or less am Libertarian in my social and ethical beliefs. I believe weed, prostitution, and the like should be legalized, because whose right is it to make laws about what two consenting adults do with each other, or on their own... like I said, as long as they don't harm themselves or each other.

But the problem with Libertarianism is that it doesn't set a code for helping. It only states not to harm.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »
I believe there should be a code for helping as well.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:59:21 pm »
Virtue.

Why? I forgot why as i posted this. I'll reply again when it comes back to me.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 07:08:55 pm »
Utilitarianism I suppose.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 07:18:05 pm »
Virtue theory of course. I'm a man connected to his philosophetical studies.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 06:16:34 am »
well this debate poll went nowhere :(