Author Topic: Hmmm....  (Read 23981 times)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Hmmm....
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:42:16 am »
During my English 102 class today, with a female professor who graduated from CMU and has a doctorate, I questioned her thoughts on a Shakespeare play (The Merchant of Venice) and she threw me out of the class.

She thought that because someone would willingly sacrifice everything they own to save a friend implies that they are gay. Her only reasoning she mentioned in class was that, at the beginning of the play, one guy was worried for the other guy when he mentioned wanting to marry a woman.

My thoughts tell me that you would worry for a close friend who wants to just randomly marry a woman who you've met only in passing, and that some friendships are thick enough where you'd sacrifice yourself to save your friend.

What do you think?

J.R.

Re: Hmmm....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:54:57 pm »
"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." - John 15:13

Your professor's reasoning is stupid...Just because you have a doctorate, doesn't mean you know everything.

Patback399

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 02:28:30 pm »
There are some hints towards homosexuality, but not enough to adequately prove that the character is gay.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »
WTF.

Everything is Homosexual if you choose to look at it that way.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:55:43 pm »
"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." - John 15:13

Your professor's reasoning is stupid...Just because you have a doctorate, doesn't mean you know everything.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

The play mentions alot of other biblical references, and THAT MUST BE ANOTHER ONE.

YOU ARE THE FKIN MAN

ZOMG AM I GONNA FACE PWN HER SOOOOOO HARRRRRDDDDD

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
Your teacher is a dumbass. Some people are educated beyond their intelligence. It is perfectly normal to lay down your life for a friend. I mean, I have several girls that I would die for right now, but I like boys far too much to be a lesbian.

J.R.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:29:10 pm »

THANK YOU SO MUCH

The play mentions alot of other biblical references, and THAT MUST BE ANOTHER ONE.

YOU ARE THE FKIN MAN

ZOMG AM I GONNA FACE PWN HER SOOOOOO HARRRRRDDDDD

Hahah, no problem man.

John13

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:23:14 pm »
THe teacher has no right to force a opinion on you that is why it is called YOUR opinion, also I had a teacher that through me out of class because I wrote a website that was better than hers.

Goofy_Goober_Girl

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:36:09 pm »
you know what, your teacher was being really immature for throwing you out of class for disagreeing with her. Aren't you supposed to disscuss the play using your opinions? :huh: I have the same view as Elizabeth Rose. I would lay down my life for my Female cousin Annie Danielle. That doesn't mean I am lesbian or am attracted to my family member. She's like a sister to me. I'd be willing to lay down my life for my female best friend Natalie. That deson't make me lesbian. you're teacher's a really retarded butthole. :angry:

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 02:47:57 am »
Everything you do these days is considered homosexual.

Next thing you know wearing a paper bag over your head will be considered homeosexual..
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Band8PGeek

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 03:46:16 am »
I find homosexuality in everything these days. Watching Othello, I see blatant Iago/Othello innuendo. When it comes to Harry Potter, I see Harry/Draco. Heck - I watched Cinderella III and saw Gus/Jaq. O_o
The difference between what I'M doing and what this teacher is doing is that I don't try to force my pairings and opinions on everybody else. I wouldn't get on to somebody for liking SpongeBob/Patrick (which I don't, in case you were wondering ^-^).
Everything is Homosexual if you choose to look at it that way.
Damn straight. ---Oops. I mean, "damn [insert sexuality here]". :P

EDIT: Whoa. Just discovered new smily... O_o

Goofy_Goober_Girl

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:13:56 pm »
Sometimes my teachers try to force thier opinions on us, like they know everything and everything they say is right because they have a college degree. it's like science teachers trying to force thier beliefs/opinions about evolution on Christians.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:15:51 pm by Goofy_Goober_Girl »

Patback399

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 06:38:33 am »
Sometimes my teachers try to force thier opinions on us, like they know everything and everything they say is right because they have a college degree. it's like science teachers trying to force thier beliefs/opinions about evolution on Christians.

Evolution should be taught in schools, as it is a scientific theory.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
and before anyone jumps in...

a theory does NOT mean guess.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 01:04:34 pm »

Evolution should be taught in schools, as it is a scientific theory.
Errr...I may be wrong, but I don't think GGG meant teaching, I meant pushing, which does happen.

But on the subject of Evolution in schools - yes teach it - as a theory, not as a fact as it so-often taught as.