Author Topic: Body modification, does it belong in the work place?  (Read 19280 times)

oscar_the_grouch

Body modification, does it belong in the work place?
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:31:24 am »
Body modification is becoming more accepted. Seeing someone with visable tatoos or piercings isn't too unusual now a days. However having tatoos and piercings in visibale areas is frowned apon and some times rejected in the word enviorment. Should people be judged based on the personal choice of being modified? Are there certain jobs you see it as acceptable and others not? Should you be aloud to request someone take out their piercings or cover their tatoos? Thoughts that go through your head when you see someone who is noticably modified?

How about extreme body modifications? Like tatooed faces, stretched ears, lip plates, implants, ect. Opinions?

Some of you know and some of you don't but I a have body modifications. Nothing extreme. I have 14 gauge snake bites, a 16 gauge septum, and a 14 gauge navel. Obviously my opinion is going to be different then someone without piercings. I think you should make your judgements based on the individual and not their appearance.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: Body modification, does it belong in the work place?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:55:48 am »
simple pierced ears should be allowed to have simple earings

besides that, nothing else should be allowed in the workplace.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:17:13 am »
I have a peircing in each ear personally... but it depends on where you work. If you are working for a law firm and making $1,000,000 a year I don't think it is a good idea to go into work with gaged earrings, belly button rings, noserings that attach to your ear, industrial bars going through your eyebrows, etc. If you were working for say a store like hot topic then it wouldn't matter as much. My cousin got turned down a job at McDonald's thoug because she had a tattoo on her neck with her ex-boyfriend's name on it. Haha. It just depends on where you work.

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:05 am »
You shouldn't be sporting these crazy extreme piercings/tats if you're workin for a high-end corporation or somethin making all this money.  I don't see anything anything wrong with have some piercings or tats though.  Like Paige, I don't see anything wrong with yur piercings for instance. 

It's sad when you think about it though...Some body modifications are looked down on, but others aren't.  Someone could get turned down for a job cuz they've got snake-bites or a tat on their arm but that same person could lose that job to some chick who went and got her tits done and has 20 pounds of silicon in her chest.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:58:34 am by J.R. »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:41:37 am »
If you have things like nose rings and such, take them out or flip them up during work. And cover tattoos if you have a lot. Things are just more professional. However, do not require employees to remove tattoos or let their piercings fill (I know someone who was requested this and quit)

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:01:46 pm »
I believe in looking professional if you have a professional job. Otherwise, I don't care.

Ooh, this guy I know has the nice dragon tattoo on his back/chest. Tis tres cool.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 03:04:37 pm »
What makes piercings look less "professional"?

I am the type who takes my  piercings out for work, horse shows, weddings ect. Mine have been fully healed for quite some time now and won't grow over. It's more out of respect because they don't always sit well with everyone but I've never really understood why they lack a professional quality.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 03:17:19 pm »
Because there aren't many people who have made it big and are millionaires that sport crazy piercings. Maybe 1% of the big time moneymakers.

So the silent stereotype exists between older folk that lots of earings or tats = unsuccessful, stupid person.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »
It's kind of like why you aren't supposed to wear PJ's on Conan.

Patback399

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:48:04 pm »
It's kind of like why you aren't supposed to wear PJ's on Conan.

You know Conan is totally cool with guests wearing PJs.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 04:53:35 pm »
Isn't it a form of discrimination though? Who made up these "rules" anyways? If you have the ability for the job why should your ethnic background, sexuality, or appearance matter?

That being said I doubt the worlds veiws will be changing on the subject any time soon. Maybe in tiny steps but it'll be awhile before it's considered the norm.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 04:55:39 pm »
because for most entry level jobs where people complain about this kinda stuff, the earings can be listed as hazards to your job.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 05:02:32 pm »
When it really comes down to it everything is hazardous. Having long hair is a saftey hazard yet tons of females have long hair. No one expects them to chop off their locks. They've found an alternative.  They tie their hair back.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:59 pm »
When it really comes down to it everything is hazardous. Having long hair is a saftey hazard yet tons of females have long hair. No one expects them to chop off their locks. They've found an alternative.  They tie their hair back.
It's the same reason there a dress codes. They aren't there to discriminate against you, they are there to look more professional, thus attracting more customers.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:16:52 am »
It's the same reason there a dress codes. They aren't there to discriminate against you, they are there to look more professional, thus attracting more customers.

There is always going to be something you think looks "wrong", "tacky", "dumb" ect. If we keep saying it doesn't belong then it will never belong therefore it will offend more people because they haven't been exposed to it. Dress codes may not mean to discriminate but they do take away someone's right to be an indivdual in every aspect of their life. Image may not be everything to everyone but it means a lot to some. Especially people who have devoted money and time to get their mods done professionally, heal them, and maybe even stretch them. It is not causing anyone harm (except maybe the person who has them done) so why should it matter? If you are an adult who is serious about your profession then people should be able to look passed modifications.