Author Topic: My Computer Sucks >_>  (Read 2793 times)

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
My Computer Sucks >_>
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:33:50 pm »
Yes, another issue. I was playing a game, it crashed, blue screen (but no text) so I cut the power (for the record, the game crashes a lot for just about everyone).

15 minutes later I try to watch a movie only to realize Windows is no longer picking up the DVD drive. But here's the thing. I popped in the movie and it asked what I wanted to do (Play it wmp, vlc, etc). I select VLC and VLC has an error saying the drive can't be found. I try MediaPortal, same thing. So I check My Computer and the DVD drive is no longer listed there.

I try the game again and that doesn't work.  I pop the DVD in again and this time nothing happens, not even a "what do you want to do?" menu.

So with that...help...(again)

I can still open and close the DVD drive, though I would assume that's the hardware itself and not Windows. I know that it didn't come unplugged.

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
Re: My Computer Sucks >_>
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:36:22 pm »
Either your DVD rom drive crapped out, the IDE cable slipped out, or its a driver issue.

There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:41:47 pm »
It might be the IDE cable but I highly doubt it (was cleaning the PC last weekend and made sure everything was hooked in very, very well). I think it's a driver issue. I have had Drivers suddenly crap out on me before. Link to where I can download?

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »
Check the manufactures webpage
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:38:48 pm »
Start -> Control Panel -> System

Hardware Tab -> Device Manager Button

Now what is fked up in there? lol

I had this happen to me once. Attempt to backup stuff now. Using any method. Just start doing it now.

Basically a necessary windows driver just crapped out on you. You could try repairing windows, but most likely a bad sector on your hdd just BORKED your windows install....but windows just doesn't know it yet. Trying to repair windows might make it not work and lead to reformatting, which brings me back to BACK UP UR STUFF NOW LOL