Author Topic: Transfat/smoking bans  (Read 33185 times)

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Re: Transfat/smoking bans
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 08:39:38 am »
Improve the health of our nation!?  This is Totalitarianism!!!  I KNOW WHEN I GO INTO A MICKEY D'S IM SLOWLY KILLIN MYSELF! You got em, you smoke em!

Dude...

Saying this is a totalitarianism is total disrespect for survivors of the regimes of Hitler and Stalin.
did you catch that FoxNews clip where the guy said the discrimination against smokers is just like the racism towards black people?

Patback399

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 08:49:01 am »
Improve the health of our nation!?  This is Totalitarianism!!!  I KNOW WHEN I GO INTO A MICKEY D'S IM SLOWLY KILLIN MYSELF! You got em, you smoke em!

Dude...

Saying this is a totalitarianism is total disrespect for survivors of the regimes of Hitler and Stalin.
did you catch that FoxNews clip where the guy said the discrimination against smokers is just like the racism towards black people?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDbAg8HxzRI

I love how they say taxing smokers is targeting a certain group of people. It would be like saying taxing CDs is discrimination against people who like music.

spongehead 32

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:02 pm »
If the smoking bans bother you this much then move to Mexico or something.

If there is a ban on smoking then obviously people other than those in charge wanted it, and for the people in charge to go so far as to ban it in most areas, obviously the voice of the people against smoking must be louder than the one for it.

Why can't you let them want it and adapt yourself by either changing your smocking patterns to suit the law, stopping smoking or moving somewhere where they allow smoking.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:51:32 pm by spongehead 32 »

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 09:39:50 pm »
SpongeHead your english they just put a smoking ban in there.  ok, if you people want to live under this crap.  one day ull all see im right..

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 09:45:09 pm »
The Romans knew if you give people bread and circuses, you'd become comfortable and accepting whatever the Romans do, like changing from a republic to an empire.  Ppl are so materialistic.  The Goverment will control every aspect of our life if we give in!  We can't be like a bunch of sheep!  They'll ban smoking, which in this day and age they say is so "Evil",  well guess what my friends...the same liberal nitwits are saying the same thing about food.  Then they will regulate fast food, and all fatty foods in the country.  Then they will target religion.  Get rid of all the little things first, and people will be passive and open to complete control.  ok, give up your freedoms.  youll be sorry.

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:07 pm »
AND IM NOT KIDDING EITHER. 

J.R.

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 10:03:05 pm »
Lol how does religion equate to smoking and fatty foods? 

And look, I'm all for being able to spark up a cigarette or a cigar or whatever, but people have the right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke every time they walk into a restaurant or building.  If you need a square that bad, then go outside and light up.  They're not banning smoking itself so chill.

spongehead 32

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 05:13:57 pm »
They haven't banned smoking in England. They banned smoking in public enclosed spaces such as clubs, restaurants, shops, offices, stations...

You are free to smoke on the streets, in parks, in your own home and back garden as well.

People who smoke here have the freedom to smoke when they wish, and people who don't smoke can now be in places without having to worry about the affects of second hand smoke, including the smell.

Unless you are one of those obnoxious people who need everything their way (that goes to both smokers and non-smokers) everyone can be happy.

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:52 pm »
What about the possible health effects of smoking?

spongehead 32

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 03:49:31 am »
Everyone who smokes should know what may hapen if you keep smoking (unless you miss the the giant lables on the boxes saying "SMOKING KILLS") so anyone who wants to smoke still, with knowledge that it may kill you in so many ways (such as cancers and cardiovascular diseases) can do so, no one here is going to force you not to.

Though, for those of us who want to be free from the risks of smokeing, including second hand smoke (which gives the same cancer causing, lung damaging effects as if it were smokeing straight from the stick) are allowed that too and shouldn't have their lungs ruined because someone who smokes is sitting next to them.

The way it works here is that all who smoke can smoke in the outside where the second hand smoke can be blown away so there is less chance of non-smokers inhaling it.

The health risks are just the same, but it's the people affected by them that are different.

Patback399

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 07:14:41 am »
Everyone who smokes should know what may hapen if you keep smoking (unless you miss the the giant lables on the boxes saying "SMOKING KILLS") so anyone who wants to smoke still, with knowledge that it may kill you in so many ways (such as cancers and cardiovascular diseases) can do so, no one here is going to force you not to.

They only say "Smoking kills" in the UK. The tobacco lobyists are too strong in the US.

J.R.

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 08:24:36 am »
Yeah, even here in California, you'll even come across warning labels that don't even mention cancer or disease.

spongehead 32

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 05:32:02 pm »
Are you serious?

J.R.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 05:39:49 pm »
Most do but I've seen plenty of labels that'll just go somethin like "SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: TOBACCO SMOKE INCREASES THE RISK OF BIRTH DEFECTS IN PREGNANT WOMEN."  ...that's it.

Lol, oh I've also seen, on a few different instances, warnings that say "...CONTAINS CHEMICALS, KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, TO CAUSE CANCER AND HEART DISEASE." 

...Like the other 49 states don't believe it or somethin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 05:42:37 pm by J.R. »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 05:47:57 pm »
The Surgeon General's warning is federally mandated.  The other warning is one that California added itself.  Other states may have other additional ones.

I like Australia's take on the matter: http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/Australia-warnings.htm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 05:50:31 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone