Author Topic: is sony TRYING to lose?  (Read 9984 times)

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
is sony TRYING to lose?
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:25:13 am »
"SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: is sony TRYING to lose?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:29:09 pm »
they'll just make the upgrade to 60 easier to manage.

spongey snail

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:28:54 pm »
they probably think its going to be just like the 20 gig...as in no one will want it when they can have 20 gigs more for $100 more.

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 03:26:29 pm »
they probably think its going to be just like the 20 gig...as in no one will want it when they can have 20 gigs more for $100 more.

Probly.

spongey snail

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:56:14 pm »

Probly.
yeah,I think its actually a smart move...why support two consoles if people are only buying one?

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 07:20:40 pm »

Probly.
yeah,I think its actually a smart move...why support two consoles if people are only buying one?
Here's the thing - most people would not buy a PS3 in the first place because it was...you guessed it...TO EXPENSIVE!

The price drop to $500, whilst still expensive, opened up the possibility of a sales boost to their console. After their E3 show, whilst still having a burning hate for them, I was slowly beginning to think they were actually doing better (President is gone...) and then they do this which is just...bad.

Also, people were buying the 60 gig model. The 80 gig model isn't even out until August, people are only able to buy one as they discontinued the previous model (20 gigs) due to piss poor sales.

People cared about having an extra 40 gigs and would pay a hundred bucks more. But this is a 20 GB difference.

Also, Xbox 360 Elite has a 120 GB HDD and an HDMI port, it's only $447

spongey snail

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 04:22:48 am »

Probly.
Here's the thing - most people would not buy a PS3 in the first place because it was...you guessed it...TO EXPENSIVE!

The price drop to $500, whilst still expensive, opened up the possibility of a sales boost to their console. After their E3 show, whilst still having a burning hate for them, I was slowly beginning to think they were actually doing better (President is gone...) and then they do this which is just...bad.

Also, people were buying the 60 gig model. The 80 gig model isn't even out until August, people are only able to buy one as they discontinued the previous model (20 gigs) due to piss poor sales.

People cared about having an extra 40 gigs and would pay a hundred bucks more. But this is a 20 GB difference.

Yes and previous xbox 360 owners have to pay another $100 for the 120 gig hard drive.And I mean if you think about it it all adds up very quickly...$400 for the console,60 bucks a pop for games,$5 a month for online,$200 for the hd dvd add on,even more on accessories.Not to mention batteries for the controller.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 06:44:34 am by Joey Ramone »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:45:30 am »

Probly.

Yes and previous xbox 360 owners have to pay another $100 for the 120 gig hard drive.And I mean if you think about it it all adds up very quickly...$400 for the console,60 bucks a pop for games,$5 a month for online,$200 for the hd dvd add on,even more on accessories.Not to mention batteries for the controller.
you don't NEED the 120gb hard drive though. the 20gb works great. the HD-DVD drive is even more useless.

plus, the online costs more because it's better.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:12:02 pm »
Right, so previous owners will need to have spent 500 $ if they decide they want the 120...that's still not 600 dollars.

And I think you didn't see my other post.

I can choose either a decade of Xbox Live ($600 dollars) OR blow it on a PS3 ($600) + expensive bluray disc games and micro transactions (?)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 01:04:54 pm »
yea but you're also getting a blu-ray player out of that also icefox, which would normally cost a buttload more.

and it almost sounds like you haven't experienced 1080p outside of a retail store :P

gaming on 1080p is like cheese with melted cheese ontop of cheese. it's very yummy :D

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 01:13:56 pm »
blu-ray is dumb. I've seen it running in 1080, it's not significant enough to make me want to replace all my DVDs.

spongey snail

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 08:28:14 pm »
Vulture is right, even if you buy the ps3 and there weren't ANY good games on it you still have a blu-ray dvd player. And if you bought the 360 elite with the hd dvd add on thats over $700. And blu-ray is way better than hd dvd. Besides think of all the money on batteries you will lose.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 10:05:39 am »
blu-ray is dumb. I've seen it running in 1080, it's not significant enough to make me want to replace all my DVDs.

that's not the intention of it at all lmao

it's intended to be a stepping stone for people to eventually move to over a 10year period.

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 02:47:23 pm »
From what I've one of the reasons why PS3 is doing poor is because of the lack of good games.

Because of its A-symmetric processor its harder to program than Xbox 360 which in  this case is symmetric.

The reason why its so expensive is because Blu-ray is not the standard.  When PS2 came out DVD was bassicly the standard or just becoming the standard.  Its not the same, Blu-ray is too friggin expensive.  With the exception of this expensive new media PS3 games cost more. 

Do we need 25gb of storage for games?  As far as I know Their is already less VRAM (190mb I think) in the PS3 compared to the 360.

But hey, the PS3 is useful for its Blu-Ray player plus the ability to run Ubuntu Linux.
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

spongey snail

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 05:11:07 pm »
Right, so previous owners will need to have spent 500 $ if they decide they want the 120...that's still not 600 dollars.

And I think you didn't see my other post.

I can choose either a decade of Xbox Live ($600 dollars) OR blow it on a PS3 ($600) + expensive bluray disc games and micro transactions (?)
no you can have $200 worth of xbox live to be equaly compared to the price of the ps3(thats not including the dvd add on.)And PS3 games are the same price as xbox 360...and for movies,blu-ray is way better than hd dvd and generally its 4 or 5 dollars more.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:14:50 pm by Joey Ramone »