Author Topic: one strength of the recent episodes  (Read 3955 times)

ernest310

one strength of the recent episodes
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:22:21 pm »
Much has been said regarding the lower quality of the season 4 and 5 episodes.  Clearly, the humor has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

In some aspects, however, the show has improved, even if only slightly.  And that is in the sound effects/music department.  A couple examples from season 5:

--"The Original Fry Cook": This one had an excellent score.  I've heard the music where SB is eating the "Jim Patty" in other episodes, and that music is good.  There is (I think) an original score here, specifically, during the scene where Jim is critiquing SB's work (and flushing the Krabby Patties down the toilet.)  The music in that scene was outstanding.  Many other episodes have sharp musical scores as well.  The only problem is that too many of the episodes are starting with similar tunes (the one you hear in, for instance, "Night Light" and "Fungus Among Us," as well as the other in "Bucket Sweet Bucket" and "The Krusty Sponge".)

--"Slimy Dancing": Here's where the sound effects are put to great use.  I've always found that sound effect funny--the one you hear when most of the characters blink, or when Squidward walks.  The limbo scenes when Squidward falls down, or Squidward's failed audition for the dancing final--the sound effects are not new, but they are put to great use here and add another dimension of humor.

Just an area I had thought about....