Author Topic: Legalizing Illegal Drugs  (Read 28745 times)

Elizabeth Rose

Re: Legalizing Illegal Drugs
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
That doesn't change the fact that I laughed.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 10:52:31 am »
I say we legalize Marijuana. In it's pure form it's not addictive, and its not any worse for you then alcohol or cigarettes. Some dealers put out bad weed, with dolphin noise like embalming fluid. That's the type of dolphin noise that gives weed a bad name.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

ernest310

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
We also have to consider legalization's impact on the prison industry.

A hefty proportion of prisoners are there for nonviolent, drug-related charges.  The War on Drugs is the primary reason why the US has the biggest prison population in world history, both in absolute numbers and in rates. (It also goes further than anything else in explaining the extreme racial imbalance in our prison population, though that's another issue.)

Absolute numbers: There are well over 2 million people behind bars right now.  Back in the early 1970s, there were only 200,000 prisoners.  Trust me, the US population didn't increase 10X in that period.

Rates: We lock up about 750/100,000 people who live in this country.  The next closest is Russia, at about 500/100,000.  (And not to get into the racial issues again, but the rate at which white men are imprisoned today is higher than the rate of black male imprisonment back in 1980.)

And let's not forget that more and more prisons are owned by private corporations (approximately 15% of US prisons are privately owned.)  Stakeholders in such companies have something to lose were we to change policies that would likely reduce the prison population, for prisoners=money for them.  Prisoners are the raw material that keeps their businesses afloat.  They're going to make sure our laws are designed to keep a constant flow of prisoners going through their penal corporations.  In this regard, it's similar to what Dragon of Grief said about bars going out of business earlier in this thread.

These issues must weigh into any discussion about legalization of drugs, in addition to the other very good points made above.

ernest310

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 01:30:48 pm »
Wow, this thread was older than I realized.  :rolleyes:

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 08:59:23 am »
They should change the laws about them...

People who posses the drugs shouldn't be taken to jail, prisons and jails are overflowing with druggies who are next to harmless,  instead they should be given the option to get help, or not get help then have their drugs confiscated and be fined for possessing them. I mean were spending billions of dollars just to pound down drug crimes...We should be preventing more serious crimes like, MURDERER!
its the dealers who should be arrested....
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Rated-R

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 05:14:16 pm »
Their trying to save people's lives by not messing up their brains.

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »
How are they helping people by locking them up?

Its better that they be given help. Like I said, jails and prisons are overflowing with people who are much less harmful than rapists and child molesters. I mean you wouldnt throw away a pie thats 2 days old, but you would without a doubt throw away a moldy smelly pie thats weeks old!
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others