Author Topic: Racism  (Read 38635 times)

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Racism
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »
What are your views on race, and racism?

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Re: Racism
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:13:06 pm »
I don't get offended by much. Someone can call me many racist names but It won't phase me, ever.
No one ever believes me when I say that, but its true.
Just the other day some lady walked in my work and was talking to another employee about Barack Obama, saying she would never vote for a cotton picker as president. That employee glanced over at me like I was supposed to care, but I didn't. Racism can't hurt you unless you want it to.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:32 pm »
Racism is the stupidest and lowest state a person can stoop to in my opinion. Skin color doesn't make the person. The person makes the person. My boyfriend is black, and we have been together for four and a half months. People give different raced people steriotypes. I think as long as you don't screw people over, do illegal things, or hurt people that it shouldn't matter what color you are. I would like to see a black president personally. I think it would do some good.

But mainly, racism is just for ignorant people who have nothing better to do with their sorry lives, and hate on others because of a skin color.
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:18:33 pm »
I would like to see a black president personally. I think it would do some good.
Not to get off of the beat and track, but the president's race should not really matter... period. It should be whoever is the best man (or woman) for the job.

Racism is akin to Sexism and Homophobia in that they all root in ignorance. Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia are almost ALWAYS tied together. If an individual is a racist, most likely they are a homophobe or sexist too. Ignorant people are that... ignorant. Ignorant people are unable to accept or understand anyone or anything that isn't exactly like they are to a tee. I personally don't believe in the concept of race. We all just happen to have different genetics. Race is simply a social construct used to seperate and divide the "desirables" from the "undesirables". And with labels of race come stereotypes that people of said "race" are expected to follow. White pride, Black pride, Latino pride, it's all garbage. It is stupid and foolish to be proud of something like race. You don't choose to be Black, White, Latino, Asian, Native America, etc. It is not an acheivement or an accomplishment... so why be proud of it?

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:57:45 am »
I would like to see a black president personally. I think it would do some good.
Not to get off of the beat and track, but the president's race should not really matter... period. It should be whoever is the best man (or woman) for the job.

Racism is akin to Sexism and Homophobia in that they all root in ignorance. Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia are almost ALWAYS tied together. If an individual is a racist, most likely they are a homophobe or sexist too. Ignorant people are that... ignorant. Ignorant people are unable to accept or understand anyone or anything that isn't exactly like they are to a tee. I personally don't believe in the concept of race. We all just happen to have different genetics. Race is simply a social construct used to seperate and divide the "desirables" from the "undesirables". And with labels of race come stereotypes that people of said "race" are expected to follow. White pride, Black pride, Latino pride, it's all garbage. It is stupid and foolish to be proud of something like race. You don't choose to be Black, White, Latino, Asian, Native America, etc. It is not an acheivement or an accomplishment... so why be proud of it?

I can agree with most of this.

Ignorance is what causes so many of the problems we face every day.  What I like is how the race lines are starting to become more blurred now since more and more people are becoming "color blind" and races are blending.  In the very distant future, it may even go as far as to not have definitive races because eventually everyone will hold some characteristic of every race.  It sounds fairly Utopian to all those out there who aren't racist.  But it doesn't seem completely outrageous to think it either.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:59 am »
I think a large part of problems is what is considered racist.  It's not racist to refer to a black person as stupid if they are acting retarded.  It's racist to call them stupid because they are black.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:55 am »
Well, you have these moronic White Nationalists that don't want to "MIX THE COLORS!!!" "SAVE THE WHITE RACE! STOP THE GENOCIDE OF WHITES!!!"

I have observed said White Nationalists... they believe the "Zionist Lobby" is trying to wipe out all non-Jews, and establish Israel as an absolute world power. It's the paranoid rantings and ravings of a bunch of bitter, pissed off, White trash. They are just that too... WHITE TRASH. Yes, we all know that Israel has done a lot of bad stuff, but for heaven's sake, they make it sound like Jews are trying to control the whole world! Go to the Stormfront White Nationalist forums, and you'll see what I am talking about... it's nothing but ignorance upon ignorance upon ignorance.

This is the problem with "Race". It gives morons another excuse to piss and moan about how miserable their lives are.

Patback399

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:26:13 pm »
It makes complete sense to judge someone on what they look like.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
People with purple hair are not fit to wait tables.

Patback399

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 03:41:18 pm »
People with purple hair are not fit to wait tables.

Just the idea of it makes me sick.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »
Actually, on a serious note, I have been denied various jobs (sales floor, waitress, etc...) due to the fact that I have purple hair.  Haha, losers.

ernest310

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »
From Dragon of Grief:

Hmm.....sort of, I guess.  I keep focusing on the statement "Race is simply a social construct used to separate and divide the 'desirables' from the 'undesirables.'"  If we look at the invention of what we now call "race" several centuries ago, it was actually used to justify high degrees of exploitation and degradation, most obviously in the constructing of the African slave trade.  Why did the US rise to power so quickly?  In large part because of the fabulous wealth generated by slave labor.

Of course race divides and separates people and causes profound ignorance, but I consider those symptoms.  I highly doubt that you (Dragon of Grief) will disagree with this, for as you yourself stated in another thread (regarding whether Spongebob will end anytime soon), "It's all about making money....It's all about capitalistic greed."  This statement should be applied to racism.

Capitalism and racism appeared on the world stage in the same era.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:06:42 pm »
Hmm.....sort of, I guess.  I keep focusing on the statement "Race is simply a social construct used to separate and divide the 'desirables' from the 'undesirables.'"  If we look at the invention of what we now call "race" several centuries ago, it was actually used to justify high degrees of exploitation and degradation, most obviously in the constructing of the African slave trade.  Why did the US rise to power so quickly?  In large part because of the fabulous wealth generated by slave labor.
Exactly. You hit it right on the spot. If it wasn't for slave trade then there would have been no need to divide by race... and also, back when the US had it's boom of people immigrating, they went even deeper into racial labeling... "Nordic", "Slavic", "Latin", "Germanic", "Semetic", etc. Nordics and Germanics were considered "desirables" and Slavics and Latins were considered trash, pretty much. There are even racial sub-categories within races. Race is most always used to either exhibit blind pride, or to exploit and control. Either way, the outcome is mostly bad.

Of course race divides and separates people and causes profound ignorance, but I consider those symptoms.  I highly doubt that you (Dragon of Grief) will disagree with this, for as you yourself stated in another thread (regarding whether Spongebob will end anytime soon), "It's all about making money....It's all about capitalistic greed."  This statement should be applied to racism.
Hmm, I never thought about that before. You're very right actually. It does all seem to root back to Capitalism and predator Multi-National Corporations.

Capitalism and racism appeared on the world stage in the same era.  Coincidence?  I think not.
It makes sense though... slaves were considered "property" you be bought and sold. It was a whole different form of retail. Buying and selling African American slaves.

Something interesting too is that tribe leaders back in Africa sold out their own people to the European slave traders... even the Africans engaged in Captilistic practices.

ernest310

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
Indeed they did!  Even today, some people of color are ardent free marketeers ("black capitalism," etc.)

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 06:03:41 pm »
Actually, on a serious note, I have been denied various jobs (sales floor, waitress, etc...) due to the fact that I have purple hair.  Haha, losers.

I dont think I would ever hire anyone with Purple hair, well, I mean, if that person was going to work with people, customers, whatever. It might scare off some customers, its just the honest truth. People may be too intimidated to ask for help or something, you know?