Author Topic: Man who claimed to create SpongeBob loses case.  (Read 5577 times)

ChickenCereal

Man who claimed to create SpongeBob loses case.
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:31:11 pm »
You might want to read this first if you don't know about this law suit case.

SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) Wednesday May 14, 2008

A Fairfield artist who claims he created the original inspiration for the popular "SpongeBob" cartoon character on children's television lost a copyright lawsuit before a federal judge in San Francisco today.

U.S. District Susan Illston issued a summary judgment dismissing artist Troy Walker's copyright infringement claim against Nickelodeon Studios Inc., Paramount Studios Inc., Viacom International Inc. and Stephen Hillenburg.

Illston wrote that Walker hadn't proved that a comic strip he drew in 1991, entitled "Mr. Bob Spongee, The Unemployed Sponge," was the basis of the popular Nickelodeon animated show called "SpongeBob SquarePants." The show first aired in 1999.

Illston said that Hillenburg, the creator and producer of the SpongeBob show, had created a sea sponge character named "Bob the Sponge" in 1989, two years before Walker drew his comic strip.

She also said that Walker hadn't proved Hillenburg ever saw his comic strip and that while both characters were humanized sponges, their features, clothing and story lines were different.

"In sum, the court holds that the similarities between the two characters are limited to the stock elements used to humanize a sponge, and that the dissimilarities are so significant that, as a matter of law, defendants are entitled to summary judgment," Illston wrote.

Walker, 41, said he plans to appeal.

"What happened today was a tragedy. The legal system definitely let us down today. SpongeBob is based on my work that I created years before," Walker said.

Nickelodeon spokeswoman Marianne Romano said, "We're very pleased with the outcome of the case."

Romano said SpongeBob SquarePants is one of the most popular series in children's television history and the show's Saturday morning airing is currently the top-rated program among children between the ages of 2 and 11.

Walker's 1991 comic strip consisted of four black-and-white panels. In 1992, he pasted copies of the strip on 1,000 novelty sponges and sold the sponges at Bay Area shopping centers, street fairs, roadside stops and flea markets. He copyrighted the strip in 2003.

Hillenburg, an artist and marine biologist, said in court papers that he created a character called "Bob the Sponge" for an educational comic book while working as an instructor and staff artist at the Orange County Marine Institute in 1989. He said he began developing that character into "SpongeBob" in 1994 while working on another animated show for Viacom.

The SpongeBob television character lives in a pineapple at the bottom of the sea, works as a restaurant cook, has two buck teeth and a pickle-shaped nose and wears a shirt, tie and pants, Illston noted.

Walker's unemployed Bob Spongee lives above ground in a house, has a dot nose and a line for a mouth and is not wearing clothes.
Illston turned down Viacom's bid to require Walker to pay the defense attorney fees. She said, "The court finds that this case was brought in good faith."

Source

In response to him losing the case, he has left a message on his website saying this:

I'd like to thank all of my supporters who have sent messages of encouragement both in writing and in spirit, as I have faced immeasurable odds while seeking justice in a system that isn't always fair. The character Bob Spongee, was certainly used when creating the foundation for what the world knows today as SpongeBob Squarepants. It appears that Viacom has acheived their victory. Historical archives clearly display that I was indeed the first to publish and distribute the expression of this novelty idea and character, however this would bring hope and a smile to families of color around the world if such honor was awarded to me. I am not angry for this decision, for even the humanistic world debates our creator God, on the origins of life. On May 7th 2008, Summary Judgement in favor of Viacom was made. Please check back often for updates...

- Peace, Troy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:10:03 pm by ssj4gogita4 »

Band8PGeek

Re: Man who claimed to create SpongeBob loses case.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:55:43 am »
What's next? Some random guy on the streets claiming that he deserves all the copyrights because Squilliam was based on him?!

Actually, that would be pretty weird. Scratch that.

Sponge-Bart

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:37:30 pm »
Finally. BobSpongee can lay to rest.

i_luv_sponge_xoxo

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:30:10 pm »
i hate that @$^&&(*$%%$#*(&())(_)@!#$% guy.

jellyfishfields

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:30:06 am »
That guy is a liar. I CREATED Bob Spongee! He copied my cartoon that I drew on the bathroom stall of a gas station I stopped at on my way to Myrtle Beach. 

I WANT COMPENSATION!!!!!!

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:32:06 am »
     As I've said before,  judging by the pictures I've seen of Bob Spongee, I would be ashamed to admit I drew that thing.... It looks like it was drawn by a two-year-old.

Anyway, I didn't really imagine this guy would get too far. One man with absolutely no evidence trying to file a lawsuit against a major corporation? The odds weren't exactly in his favor.

i_luv_sponge_xoxo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »
what an idiot.

Spongebob_geek81

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:36:54 am »
I can't belivie some guy would do that...thats soo wro0ng and  :wacko: