Author Topic: Karate Kid Remake - Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi?  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Karate Kid Remake - Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:04 pm »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i8bd9b0da7b2e5cc5600843b435a0b4a2

WHAT
THE
dolphin noise?

When will filmmakers do something original?

I can't imagine ANYONE wanting The Karate Kid remade, considering the original was perfect.  And not only that, they cast JADEN SMITH as the main character.  Why did they change the white kid to a black kid?  Oh because Will Smith is involved in the production and wants his son to ride his coattails to success. 

And on top of this, Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi?  Seriously?  A Chinese man with a Japanese name teaching a Japanese Martial Art in China.  Oh yeah did I mention they moved the movie's setting from the US to China?

If the movie The Next Karate Kid proved anything, it's that this franchise needs nothing more done to it.

Mr. Miyagi CANNOT be played by anyone other than Pat Morita, who died a few years ago.  And it's for this reason that the idea of a remake of this movie should have died too.  There are some characters in film who are so iconic that they cannot be played by anyone but their original actor.  Mr. Miyagi is one of these.

And besides, why are they remaking a movie that almost everyone over the age of 15 can remember?  Aren't remakes usually for movies that most people would never remember?  While we're at it, let's just go ahead and remake the original Star Wars movies.  Or hey, let's go remake The Breakfast Club!

If this movie makes it past the casting and scripting process, then it's a very sad reflection of the state of film today.  Has all the originality really been sucked out?  Or have film makers just gotten lazy?

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: Karate Kid Remake - Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:05:11 am »
yup. i won't see it.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:36:37 pm »
yup. i won't see it.

Nor will I.  I can already feel my childhood fading...

And if there is any decency left in this world, noone will because it will get cancelled.

They're also planning to make 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and make Will Smith take the role of Nemo......

AGH

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »
wow.

that looks... AWESOME.

leapyear29

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10:01 am »
it's a lot like the original Karate kid except with a few different things like location and age and there's going to be more comedy..

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:49 am »
and another movie is going to get ruined...