Author Topic: Operating System Not Found  (Read 17300 times)

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Operating System Not Found
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »
Yeah..so I keep getting (intermittent..but I still get it from time to time) Operating System Not Found errors when I boot up my pc (Vista) so I pretty much have to replace my hard drive.

Just kinda curious if any of you know much about SSD and whether it'd be a good idea to just get one of those for my OS and a few others things and keeping all my other stuff on a external 1TB (i like to be able to move my music and movies around with me :P)

Or should I just go ahead and buy a hard drive with more space that's cheaper?

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Re: Operating System Not Found
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:02:56 am »
The best thing to do would be just to go back to Windows XP because Vista is trash.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:52 pm »
Best thing to do is to have multiple drives.

Buy a cheap, small 7200rpm internal one, and get another big one for file storage (it can be internal or external, dont matter...ur preference).

Also consider downloading windows 7 or going back to XP, because there's no need for Vista anymore, until you want to upgrade for cheap to the release of W7.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:03:52 pm »
The best thing to do would be just to go back to Windows XP because Vista is trash.

I don't believe I asked for your opinion on operating system choice.

And I'm keeping Vista because I'm not paying for XP.  My next OS change will be when Windows 7 is released.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »
Eh its just that usually a system has to have stellar specs or a slimmed down Vista for the OS to be worth running and not have many problems.

You could always just download XP....

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »
Its funny because I've had Vista forever and not had a problem with it.

sounds like you're doing something wrong.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:21:47 pm »
It wastes hdd space, it requires a bit too much hardware than should be necessary for an OS, and its still buggy (atleast since the last time i used it).

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:00 am »
Now I'm having issues getting vista installed correctly...

It's not wanting to install updates correctly and it won't install a few programs...  Seriously considering just downloading XP and using it until 7 is released.  What I'm curious about though is whether I'll be able to get updates and stuff for XP if I do that.  I might actually still have my product key for Windows XP Home from my old computer though.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:13:34 am »
why dont you just install windows 7? i mean, it'll last til July 1st...then i'll be buying it.

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
Are you using a SATA hard drive?

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:17:08 am »
I got XP Pro with SP3 and yeah, I'm using SATA drives but the package I got had SATA support with it ;)

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »
I just downloaded 3 linux distros (LinuxMint, SimplyMEPIS, Wolvix) and a 90mb iso of XP apparently designed for gaming (every one i've ever tried before always sucks, but its always worth a shot). Good thing I've got 4 sata drives laying around and 2-3 ide ones :) alot of drives for testing out OSes and not having to worry about partitions is always great....

I really like W7, but I enjoy using portable apps with XP, but i like the new-ness of some *nix distros. Hopefully I find something fun soon.

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:32:02 pm »
Yeah..so I keep getting (intermittent..but I still get it from time to time) Operating System Not Found errors when I boot up my pc (Vista) so I pretty much have to replace my hard drive.

Just kinda curious if any of you know much about SSD and whether it'd be a good idea to just get one of those for my OS and a few others things and keeping all my other stuff on a external 1TB (i like to be able to move my music and movies around with me :P)

Or should I just go ahead and buy a hard drive with more space that's cheaper?

Insert windows vista cd, go to recovery console, and run chkdsk

Defrag.
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »
I just downloaded 3 linux distros (LinuxMint, SimplyMEPIS, Wolvix) and a 90mb iso of XP apparently designed for gaming (every one i've ever tried before always sucks, but its always worth a shot). Good thing I've got 4 sata drives laying around and 2-3 ide ones :) alot of drives for testing out OSes and not having to worry about partitions is always great....

I really like W7, but I enjoy using portable apps with XP, but i like the new-ness of some *nix distros. Hopefully I find something fun soon.

Yeah I'd like to be that way but I'm tight on money right now, lol.

Eventually I'ma build a new PC though I guess...just kinda need a job first. haha.

I really want to try another Linux distro. I had Debian on my old PC til the HD failed. (I'm kinda hard on HDs...but that one DID last for 4 years) It was cool, but I couldn't use Linux for my main OS considering how many programs don't have full feature Linux releases. 

I almost got Windows 7 for this comp but I don't want to be forced into buying it so early.  I usually wait a couple of months on OSes so that the major bugs get worked out.  I didn't even get vista til I bought a new PC and it had it on it.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 05:31:48 am »
think of w7 though as a fixed up vista. it works pretty good and there are hardly any bugs.

as far as linux goes, you won't be able to use alot of the same apps...but there are other apps out there that do the exact same thing. There's always an alternative. If you google "linux replacement for [insert windows prog here]" you'll find something.

Only thing I'd need desperately is Photoshop (cause i still don't like GIMP) and a way to cycle through my wallpapers (haven't looked into that yet).

SimplyMEPIS failed to load a GUI for me. So the CD was tossed.

LinuxMint is fun. I see why my g/f likes it....instead of giving you an error, it explains everything to you, and what commands to go run in terminal to go fix it. Only problem is that getting my RT2870 wireless chipset working on it IS NO WALK IN THE PARK AHHHH so I may just pop in an old wireless g card i have laying around. But it has a few things that are pretty nice features I think. "Start Menu" is almost like the vista one, but it is already organized for you. Friendly reminders all around. They even have a fairly stable x64 branch too. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Haven't tried Wolvix or the 90mb XP iso yet.