Poll

Which do you like better?

PSP (Playstation Portable)
9 (56.3%)
Nintendo DS (Dual Screen)
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: The Pocket Wars  (Read 8735 times)

foulpattie

The Pocket Wars
« on: May 13, 2004, 01:23:52 pm »
The Nintendo DS and PSP have been reveled at E3. Let the Pocket wars begin!!! To start this thread I think the PSP will be better. It's a lot more powerful. DS is pretty unique but i won't be as sucessful as the PSP. As far as games go the PSP has the advantage with Gran Turismo and a new Metal Gear game. Ds has yet ANOTHER mario kart game  :glare:  and a game being made by Square-Enix called Egg Monster or something. Yeah go PSP!

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 04:25:10 pm »
PSP forever! Duhhhh!!!

PS Add a poll.

foulpattie

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 04:27:12 pm »
Now it's a poll.  

Spongey34

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 04:48:28 pm »
PSP.  It's a lot better.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 05:25:30 pm »
I will probably buy niether, but the PSP looks much better.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

super_sayian_spongebob

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 07:27:56 pm »
Blah! Nevermind, I like home systems better. Even though I have a GBA SP now, I still say Home Systems > Portable Systems.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 08:41:20 pm »
WHAT?! I voted Nintendo! I didnt vote Playstation! Where's my nintendo vote :P

chuchino55

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 07:15:18 pm »
5 reasons why i voted for the DS:
- I know some people think it's stupid, but i like the double screen thingy.
- I also like the touch screen idea, which some people think is stupid.
- Wario Ware DS.
- Four Player SM64.
- I like nintendo better than sony *runs away*

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 08:25:56 pm »
Uhhh Nintendo DS is gamecube it is wi-fi compatible

*Fart noise*

details

Nintendo unveiling a new portable
By Steven Kent, Special for USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — Video game giant Nintendo, facing increased competition in the market for handheld entertainment, will have a new portable out this fall with twin color screens, sharper graphics and the feel of a PDA. The Nintendo DS — short for dual-screen — will be unveiled Tuesday morning at the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo game industry gathering.

You might be able to fool people into thinking your Nintendo DS is a PDA. But turn off the volume just to be safe.  
Nintendo

The DS will sell alongside today's Game Boy Advance, not replace it, according to the company. Nintendo has not announced a release date or price, though analysts predict it may sell in the $150 range.

One of the two 3-inch screens is touch-sensitive and works with a stylus — like Palms and Pocket PCs — to control the action in some games. In one demo, players guide a toddler-age Mario as he falls from the sky by drawing clouds. Other games give multiple views of the action.

The DS also has Wi-Fi communication to connect with other units within range for cordless competition. DS has separate slots for current Game Boy Advance cartridges and new, smaller DS game cards.

DS is largely viewed as Nintendo's response to Sony's PlayStation Portable, or PSP, a new system that will play both movies and video games stored on mini DVD discs. Sony has announced plans to release PSP in Japan later this year and in the USA in 2005.

"I have not seen the PSP," says Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the famous Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong characters. "The screen, I believe, is bigger than a DS screen, and I am sure it will have excellent graphic quality." But, he adds, "the PSP will not be able to display anything that you cannot do on a current system. ... We want to do things that you could not do before. We are looking at the creative end."

The DS has slightly more processing power than the Nintendo 64 console released in 1996. While that's nowhere near today's top game-system graphical capabilities, two- and three-dimensional game images, when viewed on DS screens, are surprisingly crisp.

Sony's PSP, reported to be only slightly less powerful than the PlayStation 2, will have a higher-resolution screen and more graphics power. The price has not yet been announced, though estimates have ranged to $250 and up.

Having sold more than 168 million Game Boys worldwide since 1989, Nintendo dominates the handheld game market, even as it's losing market share in console systems to Sony and Microsoft. Over the past 15 years, such companies as Sega, NEC, SNK and most recently cell phone giant Nokia have launched nine competing portable game systems without much success.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 08:33:16 pm by korax666 »
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 09:02:38 am »

Sony's PSP, reported to be only slightly less powerful than the PlayStation 2, will have a higher-resolution screen and more graphics power. The price has not yet been announced, though estimates have ranged to $250 and up.

...WoW. They got serious tech on their side.

If it's 3D but don't look too good, I never like playing it...

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 09:17:08 am »
After seeing some vids of DS in action, I'm starting to lean more towards PSP.

foulpattie

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 09:31:50 am »
Uhhh Nintendo DS is gamecube it is wi-fi compatible

*Fart noise*

details

Nintendo unveiling a new portable
By Steven Kent, Special for USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — Video game giant Nintendo, facing increased competition in the market for handheld entertainment, will have a new portable out this fall with twin color screens, sharper graphics and the feel of a PDA. The Nintendo DS — short for dual-screen — will be unveiled Tuesday morning at the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo game industry gathering.

You might be able to fool people into thinking your Nintendo DS is a PDA. But turn off the volume just to be safe.  
Nintendo

The DS will sell alongside today's Game Boy Advance, not replace it, according to the company. Nintendo has not announced a release date or price, though analysts predict it may sell in the $150 range.

One of the two 3-inch screens is touch-sensitive and works with a stylus — like Palms and Pocket PCs — to control the action in some games. In one demo, players guide a toddler-age Mario as he falls from the sky by drawing clouds. Other games give multiple views of the action.

The DS also has Wi-Fi communication to connect with other units within range for cordless competition. DS has separate slots for current Game Boy Advance cartridges and new, smaller DS game cards.

DS is largely viewed as Nintendo's response to Sony's PlayStation Portable, or PSP, a new system that will play both movies and video games stored on mini DVD discs. Sony has announced plans to release PSP in Japan later this year and in the USA in 2005.

"I have not seen the PSP," says Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the famous Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong characters. "The screen, I believe, is bigger than a DS screen, and I am sure it will have excellent graphic quality." But, he adds, "the PSP will not be able to display anything that you cannot do on a current system. ... We want to do things that you could not do before. We are looking at the creative end."

The DS has slightly more processing power than the Nintendo 64 console released in 1996. While that's nowhere near today's top game-system graphical capabilities, two- and three-dimensional game images, when viewed on DS screens, are surprisingly crisp.

Having sold more than 168 million Game Boys worldwide since 1989, Nintendo dominates the handheld game market, even as it's losing market share in console systems to Sony and Microsoft. Over the past 15 years, such companies as Sega, NEC, SNK and most recently cell phone giant Nokia have launched nine competing portable game systems without much success.
What are your sources? PSP uses Wifi.  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 05:42:05 pm »
It is not wifi compatible.  It officially uses an 802.11 standard and a custom Nintendo wireless solution.  The range is 30 feet, which makes the "wireless solution" sound a lot like bluetooth...
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
The Pocket Wars
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2004, 07:02:02 pm »
Well hopefully when they are out, people won't like the psp more because it costs more.
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

foulpattie

The Pocket Wars
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2004, 07:15:33 pm »
costs? They might cost around the same.