Author Topic: Console Wars  (Read 236893 times)

Yellowbird

Console Wars
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2003, 09:37:05 pm »
Get a decent PC instead.  I built mine for $700 and it would destroy any Dell, HP, or Sony that was under $2,000 at the time.  Anyone could easily build a great gaming computer for around $500 without a monitor.  Blink, there are dozens of excellent Xbox games, tell me what genres you like, and I can recommend some games.
I looked at compbrain's site, man he has a lot of computers.  Did he build any from the ground up? :biggrin: I am just learning about servers. I want to make one of my own using one of my dad's computers that he doesn't need anymore. Can you recommend any books or stuff that would tell me about making a secure server and site hosting? Thanks in advance.

Back to the debate, no one should knock the Xbox who hasn't played it. If you do, then you're just repeating what some fanboy or magazine said about it. Ever since they made the better S controller, I haven't had much of anything bad to say about the system. It IS the BEST console system for online gaming. Gamecube is a joke in that department and the PS2 doesn't have a hard-drive here in the US or nearly as many good online games. And like cmonkey said, the hard drive means no load times. And that means a lot when you play online. And broadband is a must for online games, especially frag games. PS2 idoes embrace most online users today since most have 56K. But I think the Xbox is looking at tomorrow's users and pushing online game forward by making it enjoyable and stable with the forced bb connection. I used to play Unreal on the Dreamcast using 56K and got owned by guys using bb. So, back on the DC I got broadband and haven't looked back since. This is wherethe Xbox shines.

I must admit, at first I believed the Nintendo hype because it had the known franchises (but we know how I feel about that now) and for the most part loving the PS2 more because of the sheer number of games. But now that I think about it, and since someone did mention it before, more doesn't mean better. I just have an affinity for the PS2 because it plays all those RPGs I had for my original playstation and for games like grand theft auto vice city. I am pressed to retract my statement that if I could have only one system it would be the PS2. It's kinda of a tie with PS2 and Xbox. I just know that with both being $179 now, I would choose one of them over the $149 Gamecube any day.

I would recommend: halo, morrowind, madden 2003, phantasy star online, star wars galaxies (when it comes out), midnight club 2

steer clear of Enter the Matrix (its horrible on any system) and Azurik

Oh, like the Gamecube, but imo it doesn't hold a candle to the other two, even though it has some better specs than PS2. I just wonder if Nintendo, a 100 year old company, is intentionally trying to sabotage it's longevity in the console business by not having a real online plan and if they are going to pull a Sega and turn into a software only company with continued hardware devlopment for the GBA (their best selling machine).

sorry for the long post.  :mellow:  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Console Wars
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2003, 10:06:40 pm »
Yellowbird, as far as I know, Compbrain builds most of his computers, or acquires them from other people/companies.

If you're planning on having a server, I recommend Linux, for its stability and security.  I recommend starting out on linux with something that isn't permanent, like Knoppix.  It's Linux that runs off a bootable CD, so don't have to change anything on the computer, you just pop in the CD and try linux.  After that, you could try other linux distributions like Red Hat (which I'm using on my server).  You can check places like http://www.linuxhelp.net/ for help with Linux.

Nintendo's president wsa talking about dropping the console hardware business a year or two ago, but apparently they are still making a new system for 2005/2006.   They already made deals with some companies for parts for it, but I forgot which ones...   They really don't stand much of a chance though, especially with thier slowness in going online.  Also, since Sony is developing a new handheld, which is technologically far superior to a GBA SP, Nintendo may eventually have to go Sega.  Then again, Microsoft does have a lot of spare money laying around....
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Yellowbird

Console Wars
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2003, 10:23:45 pm »
Thanks for your advice with the server stuff. :biggrin:

I can't believe Nintendo is going to put out another system. What are they thinking? Do they want to live with the same shame as Sega had to when the DC died? They make good games, no one can deny that. They have the franchises, no one can deny that either. But they haven't had the better system since the SuperNES. :ohmy:

I just think it would be great (and sort of wierd) to have a nintendo title on a machine with the graphical power that the Xbox has. And, I know that Nintendo isn't the company that will make said machine. Nintendo is a great game company, but as far as console gaming goes, they have been pushed out of the limelight by Microsoft and Sony.

RIP SuperNES. Oh how I loved your RPGoodness!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:24:43 pm by Yellowbird »

Miles

Console Wars
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2003, 12:01:48 am »
Ooooooh. The super nintendo. Well, I think I can safely say that Chrono Trigger is the best game and rpg on the super nintendo. Chrono Trigger has great graphics and a great story. The kind of rpg you can't stop playing.  

SS4Gohan

Console Wars
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2003, 07:54:24 pm »
Sorry to disappoint some of y'all but today I bought a Gamecube... and yeah

-SS4Gohan

foulpattie

Console Wars
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2003, 08:00:05 pm »
Sorry to disappoint some of y'all but today I bought a Gamecube... and yeah

-SS4Gohan
Yeah what?

Offline DoomBringer316

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://Meh, Removed.
Console Wars
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2003, 08:45:24 pm »
I'm not disappointed. I'm ENRAGED.

No, I'm really not.

SS4Gohan

Console Wars
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2003, 11:23:05 am »
yeah nothing

-SS4Gohan

Offline falco

• Honorable
  • Gary
    • View Profile
    • http://
Console Wars
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2003, 12:27:52 pm »
well ok ss4...give us a review...whatd ya get with it...r u enjoying it?

...the best time to wear a striped sweater...
is alll the tiiiime...

Offline DoomBringer316

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Console Wars
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2003, 12:20:08 pm »
Yarr. I knew this topic would die once GameCube started getting discussed.

>_>
<_<

j/k.

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Console Wars
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2003, 08:29:42 pm »
Back to Xbox keep it goin!

Offline DoomBringer316

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Console Wars
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2003, 09:51:27 pm »
Anyone here play on XBconnect? Or Xbox Live?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 09:52:13 pm by DoomBringer316 »

Patrick

Console Wars
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2003, 08:13:23 am »
wat online games do u have doombringer?

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Console Wars
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2003, 12:55:20 pm »
I used to play on Xbox Live, but I don't have any games for it anymore.  I used Gamespy tunnel once, but I don't have enough ethernet cables to use it anymore.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline DoomBringer316

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Console Wars
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2003, 02:45:46 pm »
I play Mechassault and Unreal Championship on XBL, and Halo on XBC.