Do you believe in God?

yes
24 (70.6%)
no
7 (20.6%)
i'm not sure
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Do You believe In God?  (Read 59968 times)

Starr2k3

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 01:14:41 pm »
I posted it as how the heck could God possibly be? I don't see where they even got the idea. I mean, anyone could start a 'religon' like cmonkey showed with Yolta. I mean, I don't see how people just follow it. Sorry if I affended you.
[snapback]141536[/snapback]
There are two sources from the "ideas" we get:
1) The Bible
2) Faith
[snapback]141608[/snapback]

Alright, if I write a book and publish it, is it true? And I don't get how you can even believe it. Probably since you were raised that way..

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Do You believe In God?
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 02:05:44 pm »
I posted it as how the heck could God possibly be? I don't see where they even got the idea. I mean, anyone could start a 'religon' like cmonkey showed with Yolta. I mean, I don't see how people just follow it. Sorry if I affended you.
[snapback]141536[/snapback]
There are two sources from the "ideas" we get:
1) The Bible
2) Faith
[snapback]141608[/snapback]

Alright, if I write a book and publish it, is it true? And I don't get how you can even believe it. Probably since you were raised that way..
[snapback]141662[/snapback]

If you publish a book that is non-fiction then it's true :P

Elizabeth Rose

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 02:06:43 pm »
I may have been raised that way, but I have doubted it several time throughout my life. I can't speak for everyone, but it's not like I never doubt my faith.

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 02:53:17 pm »
We believe the Bible is true because of its history. The Bible's been around as long as anyone can remember and it just keeps getting passed down. If that isn't enough to convince you, then having faith is. If neither of the above convince you, like in your case, then you're going to doubt it. I can see why you think what you think, but it's a little extreme to say we're following a book that some random person threw together.

Yes, I was raised in a Christian family, but like Elizabeth Rose said, i've doubted my faith. Everytime I do doubt it I just hear another story of how God has worked in someone's life and it takes my doubt away. For example: I was told last week that the doctor's believed that I had an 80% chance of having lymphoma (which is a type of cancer).  I had been sick for a few months before that and I just kept getting worse and worse news, but when people in church found out and started praying for me the news got better. The other day I found out I now only have a 15% chance, and that I more-than-likely have something called Sarcoidosis which goes away on its own

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Do You believe In God?
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005, 03:14:17 pm »
We believe the Bible is true because of its history. The Bible's been around as long as anyone can remember and it just keeps getting passed down. If that isn't enough to convince you, then having faith is. If neither of the above convince you, like in your case, then you're going to doubt it. I can see why you think what you think, but it's a little extreme to say we're following a book that some random person threw together.

Yes, I was raised in a Christian family, but like Elizabeth Rose said, i've doubted my faith. Everytime I do doubt it I just hear another story of how God has worked in someone's life and it takes my doubt away. For example: I was told last week that the doctor's believed that I had an 80% chance of having lymphoma (which is a type of cancer).  I had been sick for a few months before that and I just kept getting worse and worse news, but when people in church found out and started praying for me the news got better. The other day I found out I now only have a 15% chance, and that I more-than-likely have something called Sarcoidosis which goes away on its own
[snapback]141713[/snapback]
Greek stories have been around for as long as anyone can remember.  Does that mean that Icarus really made wings of wax and flew too close to the sun?  No, obviously not.

Anyway, it's good to have an open mind about things.  I doubt the existance of a God, but I'm not flat out rejecting the possibility.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2005, 03:17:10 pm »
Greek stories have been around for as long as anyone can remember.  Does that mean that Icarus really made wings of wax and flew too close to the sun?  No, obviously not.

Anyway, it's good to have an open mind about things.  I doubt the existance of a God, but I'm not flat out rejecting the possibility.
[snapback]141721[/snapback]
Yeah, but most of those stories were meant to be fictional and have always been known as that. I'm glad you're not completely rejecting my beliefs, though

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Do You believe In God?
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 03:25:40 pm »
So you think that all of humanity really got together to build a tower to Heaven?  Of course, then, God seperated them all and made races and languages.

The Bible is fictional as well.

Niether the Bible now (or before) nor Greek mythology was ever intended to be taken literally.  The stories are just that; fiction.  Don't point to the Bible for the existance of God.

Edit:  I am willing to accept the possibility of a god figure in the universe, but I have absolutely no tolerance for worship, religion, or the bible.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 03:28:21 pm by cmonkey »

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 03:38:33 pm »
So you think that all of humanity really got together to build a tower to Heaven?  Of course, then, God seperated them all and made races and languages.

The Bible is fictional as well.

Niether the Bible now (or before) nor Greek mythology was ever intended to be taken literally.  The stories are just that; fiction.  Don't point to the Bible for the existance of God.
[snapback]141726[/snapback]
Where did you get the "Tower to Heaven" story from? I haven't read all of the Bible and I don't have a very good memory, so forgive me if im mistaken, but I dont remember that story. Also, where do you get that the Bible was never meant to be taken seriously? That's the first i've ever heard of that.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Do You believe In God?
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 03:41:44 pm »
Genesis.  The first book of the Old Testament.  It's the Tower of Babel.

No, literally and seriously are not synonyms.  The Bible was never meant to be taken literally.

Gideon Brown

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 03:49:56 pm »
Actually, the Greek myths, were once, NOT myths. All those stories, they were taken seriously. Which, to the Greeks, was good, since there was a God of wine. If you actually studied Greek mythology, you would notice how indepth the stories are. They DID believe in Ares, and Aphrodite (who, hey, popped out of Zeus'z forhead...or was born through the foam of the sea). The Greeks didn't know of science, and how the forces of nature were just that. They thought that an earthquake was the forces of the gods.

Alain2k5

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2005, 04:16:55 pm »
Greek myths are just made up lies. I do believe in God. Greek myths are stupid.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Do You believe In God?
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2005, 04:58:21 pm »
No, because science has more material proof and more people are beginning to understand it more.
Those who still beleive in God are living in the past, and the past is not good.
Im amazed at how so much suffering is around today...because of an event that happened in the past...that may not even be true.
The bible could have easily been written by someone on drugs.
*points at a hippy (even if they where not around at that time, they are a very good example of this)*
And religion seems to have a major grudge against poor people, women and snakes.
The planet is our only god, unless you want to fit science into a slot close to it.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

oscar_the_grouch

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2005, 05:29:36 pm »

Well then you can see why we think beleiving in god is stupid then. I think the bible is made up of lies. Does it mean I am right? Maybe, maybe not, but to me I am right. I dont beleive in god, I am all for science. It just makes more sense to me. LOL Sarah my aunt is a flower child, shes quiet the charecter. Okay I have rambled enough LOL so Im going to shut up now.

Paige
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 05:30:51 pm by oscar_the_grouch »

Elizabeth Rose

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2005, 05:47:32 pm »
[snapback]141747[/snapback]

Naw, they are fascinating to read and write about. :original:

Dragon Of Grief

Do You believe In God?
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2005, 07:27:06 pm »
No, because science has more material proof and more people are beginning to understand it more.
Those who still beleive in God are living in the past, and the past is not good.
Im amazed at how so much suffering is around today...because of an event that happened in the past...that may not even be true.
The bible could have easily been written by someone on drugs.
*points at a hippy (even if they where not around at that time, they are a very good example of this)*
And religion seems to have a major grudge against poor people, women and snakes.
The planet is our only god, unless you want to fit science into a slot close to it.
[snapback]141766[/snapback]
Written by hippies?!?! That was a very stupid thing to say. But what about the things your precious science hasn't been able to prove?!?! And Lucifer posed as a snake in the garden of eden. It never said snakes were evil! And perhaps I don't believe in Science? And if you read the bible at all there was a story about a poor begger and a wealthy man. The poor begger went to heaven when he died! Yeah, the bible really hates poor people alright. Next time think before you say something so stupid. Mmk :rolleyes: