Author Topic: Microsoft Sucks  (Read 2242 times)

Snowthrower

Microsoft Sucks
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:03:33 pm »
Today I decided to install Service Pack 2 thinking "most of the bugs must be out by now, I mean its been 4 months. Well I was completely wrong, Service Pack 2 completely annihilated my system. I cant boot into Windows (system cant load explorer.exe :rolleyes: ). Service Pack 2 completely trashed ALL my System Restores that I had so I cant use Safe Mode to restore my system. Now, 10:45pm here, I have to print a report out due tomorrow and I cant since Slax (the live cd i'm using) doesnt have permission to access Disc1Part2 of my hard drive due to this BS.

Tomorrow, most likely, I will have to miss school because I'm going to be on the phone for hours with Microsofts crappy tech support. I still havent tried to restore Windows to SP1 by reinstalling XP because I know it is going to say "The version of Windows you wish to install is currently a lower version than what is installed."

Now I'm most likely going to have to wipe my hard drive (60+ gb of IMPORTANT data) as well as re-install everything I had on there. I have no way to back up any of my data since I cant access Nero on Linux nor can I install anything since I am using a Live Linux CD. I cant install any partitions either which sucks even more.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:27:38 pm »
I still havent tried to restore Windows to SP1 by reinstalling XP because I know it is going to say "The version of Windows you wish to install is currently a lower version than what is installed."
[snapback]155862[/snapback]

You dont know till you try...

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 08:36:46 pm »
I still havent tried to restore Windows to SP1 by reinstalling XP because I know it is going to say "The version of Windows you wish to install is currently a lower version than what is installed."

You dont know till you try...
[snapback]155872[/snapback]
It's possible to restore SP1 without re-installing Windows before, I've done it. Anyways did you use windows updates to install SP2?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 08:37:21 pm by Red Hat »

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 09:09:32 pm »
I've done it too.

I have SP2 and it hasnt done anything yet. I updated it about a few weeks ago

Snowthrower

Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 09:53:19 pm »
It took me forever to isolate the problem but I got it. Turns out that Service Pack 2 wasnt causing the problems. It turns out when I uninstalled McAfee Anti-Virus awhile back, the uninstallation corrupted and never removed the start up DLL's or the McSheild from the services. Windows couldnt find the service so it froze the computer.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 09:58:56 pm »
I hate McAfee...Norton or Avast is a whole lot better

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 10:11:22 pm »
Now I'm most likely going to have to wipe my hard drive (60+ gb of IMPORTANT data) as well as re-install everything I had on there. I have no way to back up any of my data since I cant access Nero on Linux nor can I install anything since I am using a Live Linux CD. I cant install any partitions either which sucks even more.

You can use k3b on Linux, or download WINE and Nero, then use WINE to run Nero. Simple.

Snowthrower

Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 10:49:46 pm »
I hate McAfee...Norton or Avast is a whole lot better
[snapback]155891[/snapback]

I agree, I only use Symantec, Avast! or AVG now.

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 01:44:26 pm »

You can use k3b on Linux, or download WINE and Nero, then use WINE to run Nero. Simple.
[snapback]155892[/snapback]
You can't burn on a live cd unless you have 2 cd drives.