Author Topic: Drilling For Oil In Alaska  (Read 11625 times)

AWJackRWN

Drilling For Oil In Alaska
« on: March 17, 2005, 04:10:07 pm »
What are your views?

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:20:46 pm »
Give more info about the topic. Examples:
1. What does Anwr?
2. What is drilling in Anwr?

Please answer those.

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:53:59 pm »
The United Sates Senate signed a law today to open drilling of oil in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. This is really bad, The Alaska National Wildlife Reuge is one of the last wildernesses in this country. I don't suport this in favor of lower gas prices, it's not worth risking the priceless wildlife in the park.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 05:55:36 pm »
We need to get it somehow...

Fan of Spongebob

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:04:50 pm »
Actually enviromental policies and technology are alot better now than in the 1900's.  I mean instead of placing four towers, there would be only one.  Besides it would a take a decade before the first drop gets on the pipeline.  Plus jobs would be created in a very cold region.  

I think higher gas prices is good for the economy and people will just have to get use of having less as a sacrafice until we find an alternative fuel source.  OPEC is giving too much to these industrial nations shouldn't they boycott like in the 1970's?

Offline MEEP!

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 06:33:08 pm »
This is aweful. I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks at the pump to save the Wildlife Refuge.
Mr. Krabs: Do you smell it..that smell...a kind of smelly smell...a smelly smell that smells smelly. Anchovies.
Squidward: What?
Mr. Krabs: ANCHOVIES!
Anchovies: MEEP, MEEP, MEEP.

I probably won't be on here too much being in college and all. I will try to pop on every once in a while though to share my thoughts.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 06:35:43 pm »
They become stupider everyday. This is getting pathetic

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 07:01:28 pm »
To the moon!

Where no man has drilled before!

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 07:04:45 pm »
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  It's federal land in Alaska currently set aside as a refuge for various arctic species.  The controversy over it is the "1002" section, a few million acres in the ANWR in which it is legal to drill for oil if Congress allows it.  Yesterday, the Senate passed a budget bill that had a provision to open up the 1002 area for possible drilling.  Thats the gist of the situation.  Environmentalists on one side, oil tycoons on the other, and everyone else somewhere between.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:05:22 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Gideon Brown

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 06:43:03 am »
The whole oiint of a reserve is that it GOES UNTOUCHED BY HUMANS!!!!!
Nice, just nice. And yes this WILL affect the land....you are draining something from underneath the land, that adds to the whole ecosystem. Say buh byez to many animals in Alaska. All I can say is thank god Paul Martin is doing the opposite for Canada.

And here's a small article:

US Senate narrowly voted to drill in ANWR – but decision not done yet!

Yesterday, March 16th, the US Senate voted 51 to 49 to keep language in their version of the US Budget to open Alaska's National Wildlife Refuge — and the calving grounds of the Porcupine Caribou Herd — to drilling. Gail Norton, US Secretary of the Interior, repeated her description of the Refuge as big, white nothingness, also insisting drilling would be done with sensitivity. Senator Ted Stevens told the Senate that Gwich'in people don’t live in the Refuge, so they can’t know what will affect the caribou. Another Senator said this issue was about jobs… All are outright lies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 07:02:07 am by Charliez Fallen Angel »

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:11 pm »
I think the Government should just release those water-powerd cars.

foulpattie

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 08:41:04 pm »
I don't like the idea. i've heard that it'll take about 10 years to get enough oil to power our country for 6 months. HELLO, that is lame.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 10:22:19 am »
I think it is a great idea. It would really lower our gas prices. Whate exactly have the polar bears done for us anyways? Do you want the gas prices to keep rising or do you want to be able to pay for cheap efficient gasoline? I know I do.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 02:08:02 pm »
It wouldn't affect gas prices much.  We can get about 6 billion barrels of oil at ~$40.  Oil costs ~$56 a barrel from OPEC countries.  Thats a total savings of around $100 billion.  The US spends around $400 billion a year on oil.  We can pull oil from the ANWR at about 2 million gallons a day, so around 8 years until we suck it dry.  $12.5 billion saved a year, of a total of $400 billion.  Thats a 3% change in price, or 5 cents a gallon at the pump.  To me, arctic wildlife is worth more than that 5 cents.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 02:09:03 pm by cmonkey »

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 02:17:41 pm »
But why is it important to you? You don't live enar the arctic do you? Drilling for oil in Alaska is a lot safer then getting it from the middle east... and even if it is only a little bit money saved it is better then nothing. I honestly don't see a problem at all with drilling for oil in Alaska. I don't live anywhere near there so I am not too worried about the wildlife.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 02:29:35 pm »
So, you don't live anywhere near Alaska, eh?  So how about we just kill off all 648,818 people who live there.  You've never met them and you never will, what difference does it make to you if they're alive or not.

timstapels

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 02:31:35 pm »
We don't use much oil in New Zealand we dont have nuclear power plants either, or any Spongebob stuff, we don't get a lot of things here, it's unfair so I can't express much opinion on this one

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 02:59:07 pm »
When did I ever say anything about killing people? I hate having my words twisted... we are speaking of wildlife. Not human lives. I don't want any people to die. But here in PA we have plenty of oil anyway so whatever...

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 03:11:36 pm »
I was making a parallel, maybe even an analogy or allegory.  We live in a global ecosystem that is slowly being devoured by humankind.  What happens anywhere in the world affects us and future generations.  If thats not good enough for you, how's this for a direct impact.

Millions of birds migrate to northern Alaska each year to mate and nest.  In Pennslyvania alone, the Tundra Swan, Green-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, White-winged Scoter, Black-bellied Plover, American Golden-Plover, Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, and the Common Redpoll migrate to Alaska.  With oil drilling equipment disturbing the birds, they cannot reproduce and return to PA.  So not only do you not see those birds anymore, but anything that preys on those birds for survival will have a much more difficult time surviving.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 03:12:23 pm by cmonkey »

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 04:51:28 pm »
Hmm... I guess that makes sence. I stand corrected. But I still do believe we have to get oil somehow...

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 05:47:43 pm »
The better solution is to lessen our reliance on any oil at all, instead of just on foriegn oil.  Investment and research in biodiesel and hydrogen powered cars will help in the long term.  For now, we're stuck with what we have.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005, 05:57:30 pm »
one word to the people who said yes to the drilling: ELECTRICTY! an unlimieted rescource that can be harnesed, and used in anything that needs gas! ELECTRICTY!

timstapels

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 06:13:29 pm »
Yeah, electrisity is the answer to everything, especially from dams whicxh is the only thing we get it from over here

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 09:37:20 pm »
With the amount of energy the US is putting into getting a few barrels of oil, they could be working on discovering alternate fuel sources.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 09:48:04 am »
It depends on where up there they want to drill. If they want to drill in the barren tundra/wastelands I don't care, because nothing lives there. Nothing can live in the wastelands, so if there is oil there, go ahead and drill it. However, I do not think it is a good idea to kill animals and destroy landscapes for it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:48:57 am by Elizabeth Rose »