Author Topic: Never Posted At A Message Board Before?  (Read 16285 times)

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Never Posted At A Message Board Before?
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:27:18 pm »
This should help you get started on the right foot.

Message boards are similar to chat rooms, but do not work the same way.

Unlike in a chat room, message boards are not actual conversations in real time (you are not talking to a person right then and there). You are simply leaving a message and later on, someone will respond. Therefore, no need for chatspeak, eboinks or any kind of internet slang. You have time to think about what you are saying and time to type it correctly. LOL, LMAO, watup or anything like that doesnt really fly on message boards and can annoy the other members. Keep that in mind as you post here.

We understand that a lot of you are young and still in school. The best is all you can do, right? So, as long as you are trying it isnt an issue with most members.

Double posting is against the rules

Because it is unnecessary and clogs up threads. Right below your message is a button that says "edit" you can edit the post. If you forgot to put something in or wanted to get rid of some of the post, click on edit and you will be taken right back to the posting page. You can edit or delete some of your post. Then just click "Ok". And you're done! You will have your edited post with exactly what you wanted to say without making another one.

You may like the smiley feature.

They can express you better, but please dont use too many. It ends up becoming a waste and only makes the other members ignore you or make fun of you. You dont want that, right? Just use one or two and you're fine.

Unsure how to get a picture under your posts or under your name?

Avatars are the pictures under your name and you can add one by:

Going to "My controls"
Scroll down half way and you'll find "Edit Avatar Settings", click on that.
You'll get two blank bars. You can upload an image from your computer by clicking "browse" and it'll take you to your computer files. When you find it, click it and the URL will appear in the bar. Click "update avatar". You're all set!

If you dont want to do that. Google a picture you want and highlight the URL.
right-click and click "copy".
Go to "my controls" here at USB and you'll get the bars again.
Go to "Enter a URL to an online avatar image" and delete the "http://" and right-click and then "paste". Click update Avatar and you're all set!

signatures" are the images under you're posts:

Go to "Edit signature", scroll down and you'll see a big blank box. on top of it you'll see codes.
For images Click the IMG button. A box will appear. Get the URL the same way, paste it and click "ok".

http://= URLs (website links)
@= email address
Quote= a quote
Code= inserting any code.

Make conversation, not statements

The forums are a place where people of different views and interests can all get together to talk. Therefore, don't make posts that are difficult or impossible to reply to.

Please report to the mods

if you have a problem with a subject not to ask questions or tells us something. Just PM us for conversation.

These are simple things that can help you get along at USB better and help you to know what to expect when posting here. Enjoy your stay "and above all, keep it cool."  :cool:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 08:44:21 am by Isnt Anything »

Kenny Blankenship

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:34:31 pm »
This should help you get started on the right foot.

Message boards are similar to chat rooms, but do not work the same way.

Unlike in a chat rooms, message boards are not actual conversations in real time (you are not talking to a person right then and there). You are simply leaving a message and later on, someone will respond. Therefore, no need for chatspeak, eboinks or any kind of internet slang. You have time to think about what you are saying and time to type it correctly. LOL, LMAO, watup or anything like that doesnt really fly on message boards and can annoy the other members. Keep that in mind as you post here.

We understand that a lot of you are young and still in school. The best is all you can do, right? So, as long as you are trying it isnt an issue with most members.
[snapback]161451[/snapback]

Let me just wholeheartedly second this (and I bolded my favorite part).  This is something that could greatly improve the board, and we need to see more of this...

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:40:27 pm »
helpful tips new mod...

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:04:32 pm »
Unlike in a chat rooms, message boards are not actual conversations in real time (you are not talking to a person right then and there). You are simply leaving a message and later on, someone will respond. Therefore, no need for chatspeak, eboinks or any kind of internet slang. You have time to think about what you are saying and time to type it correctly. LOL, LMAO, watup or anything like that doesnt really fly on message boards and can annoy the other members. Keep that in mind as you post here.

In response to the bolded part above, you do have time! Type out a thoughtful post, not just a five word sentence. For instance, instead of just saying "Spongebob is a good show" say why you think that it is a good show, such as "Spongebob is a really great show for kids. He never fails to make me smile and the show can be pretty funny sometimes too". Not only does this make you look more intelligent, it tells us a little bit about yourself. :cool:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 09:05:14 pm by Elizabeth Rose »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 11:43:33 pm »
This will be helpful to anyone who needs it. Good work. I'm glad you guys got picked for mod.

timstapels

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 11:54:25 pm »
Thank you for all the help. I see why you three got picked for mods, good on you guys.
Also, how do I show that I'm laughing with ous lol? Just a question because sometimes, haha or hehe doesn't really cut it for me if you know what I mean.

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 10:10:51 am »
You dont have to use lol. You can always say "hahahaha" or "thats funny". Lol isnt a bad thing its just, believe it or not, some people dont know what that means and it isnt really used on message board. The others I belong to dont really use it. Plus, using other things can help you communicate better with others. I'm not trying to be the spelling/grammar Nazi, I'm just trying to help out.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:11:12 am by Isnt_Anything »

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
I'm so glad you guys were picked. This is perfect.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 04:43:37 pm »
Make conversation, not statements

The forums are a place where people of different views and interests can all get together to talk.  Therefore, don't make posts that are difficult or impossible to reply to.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 09:13:35 pm »
How to use BBCodes

Tired of your posts looking the same all the time? If so, you can use BBCodes to spice up your posts.

(You have to replace the ('s with [ andt he )'s with ] from the examples in order to use them.)

Text Effects

Bold Tags - This BBCode is used for making your text bold. All you do is type (b), then type your message, and then close the tag using (/b).

Italic Tags - This tag is useful, because it makes your text italic. All you do is type (i), then type your message, and then close the tag using (/i)

Underline Tags - Use this to put an underline on your text. Type (u), then enter your message, and then finish by closing it by (/u)

[Spoiler]Spoiler Tags[/Spoiler] - Does a part of your post have to do with something that reveals the ending of a game/book/movie/etc.? If that is the case, then use these tags. Type in (spoiler), then proceed to type in the part that you don't want revealed, and close it by using (/spoiler)

Size Tags - Tired of your font being the same size the whole time? Feel free to use the size tags then. Type (size=) (insert a number. the higher it is, the bigger the font is.), type the message you want bigger, and close it off using (/size)

[marquee=blue]Marquee Tags[/marquee]
Want to spice up your sig or post? This tag is useful in fitting a lot of information in a post in a small amount of space. All you have to do is type (marquee)yourmessageherethatsprobablyreallylongwoot(/marquee). To make it even spicier by using a background color, use (Marquee=) (adding the color you want in after the =).

URL Tags - Need to link to an external (or internal) page? Just type (url=) (using the URL you want after the =)The sentence/word you'd like to have as the link (/url).

Table Effects

Need to quote a speech/post/game/movie/etc.? These tags will come in handy then. All you need to do is type (quote)your quote here(/quote) and voila. If you wish to put the source of the quote in the header (such as I did), then type (quote=) (adding in the source after the =).

Code: [Select]
Posting HTML or code? This tag will allow you to post code without worrying about it being executed. Just type (code) your code in here (/code). No code will executed, including HTML, PHP, JavaScript, BBCode, etc..

Don't abuse any of the BBCodes. It gets very annoying, and is a surefire way to get yourself in trouble.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:12:47 am by IZ »