Author Topic: Drilling For Oil In Alaska  (Read 11867 times)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Drilling For Oil In Alaska
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 02:29:35 pm »
So, you don't live anywhere near Alaska, eh?  So how about we just kill off all 648,818 people who live there.  You've never met them and you never will, what difference does it make to you if they're alive or not.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

timstapels

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 02:31:35 pm »
We don't use much oil in New Zealand we dont have nuclear power plants either, or any Spongebob stuff, we don't get a lot of things here, it's unfair so I can't express much opinion on this one

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 02:59:07 pm »
When did I ever say anything about killing people? I hate having my words twisted... we are speaking of wildlife. Not human lives. I don't want any people to die. But here in PA we have plenty of oil anyway so whatever...

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 03:11:36 pm »
I was making a parallel, maybe even an analogy or allegory.  We live in a global ecosystem that is slowly being devoured by humankind.  What happens anywhere in the world affects us and future generations.  If thats not good enough for you, how's this for a direct impact.

Millions of birds migrate to northern Alaska each year to mate and nest.  In Pennslyvania alone, the Tundra Swan, Green-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, White-winged Scoter, Black-bellied Plover, American Golden-Plover, Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, and the Common Redpoll migrate to Alaska.  With oil drilling equipment disturbing the birds, they cannot reproduce and return to PA.  So not only do you not see those birds anymore, but anything that preys on those birds for survival will have a much more difficult time surviving.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 03:12:23 pm by cmonkey »

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 04:51:28 pm »
Hmm... I guess that makes sence. I stand corrected. But I still do believe we have to get oil somehow...

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 05:47:43 pm »
The better solution is to lessen our reliance on any oil at all, instead of just on foriegn oil.  Investment and research in biodiesel and hydrogen powered cars will help in the long term.  For now, we're stuck with what we have.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005, 05:57:30 pm »
one word to the people who said yes to the drilling: ELECTRICTY! an unlimieted rescource that can be harnesed, and used in anything that needs gas! ELECTRICTY!

timstapels

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 06:13:29 pm »
Yeah, electrisity is the answer to everything, especially from dams whicxh is the only thing we get it from over here

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 09:37:20 pm »
With the amount of energy the US is putting into getting a few barrels of oil, they could be working on discovering alternate fuel sources.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 09:48:04 am »
It depends on where up there they want to drill. If they want to drill in the barren tundra/wastelands I don't care, because nothing lives there. Nothing can live in the wastelands, so if there is oil there, go ahead and drill it. However, I do not think it is a good idea to kill animals and destroy landscapes for it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:48:57 am by Elizabeth Rose »