Author Topic: 2005 MLB Season  (Read 2485 times)

Kenny Blankenship

2005 MLB Season
« on: April 01, 2005, 04:56:01 pm »
Ahh, yes.  Spring is once again upon us.  About time, dangit!!  Cause this means that America's National Pastime finally returns to us after its long winter hiatus.  And boy, have the last couple of months been interesting...

First off, the steroids controversy is dominating headlines, the talk of the media, and a black cloud over the game.  Over the offseason, we've had a former AL MVP admit to steroids (Jason Giambi), and perhaps the best player of our era (Bonds) suffocated by the controversy.  Giambi's hoping to return to form after a putrid season last year, but definitely will meet some opposition all around the country, as the opposing fans WON'T hesitate to let him know how they feel.  Bonds, on the other hand, won't even be on the field at the start of the season, and has hinted that he might not return.  It will definitely be interesting following both of those players this year.  And with the new steroids policy in place, we should be seeing fewer long balls this season.

Oh, and those Red Sox?  They actually did win the World Series last October.  And that 86-year curse?  They actually did break it?  And that Yankees/Sox rivalry?  HOTTER THAN EVER, especially after the tremendous comeback the Sox made in the ALCS.  And for the seemingly first time in the history in the rivalry, the Yankees do not hold the bragging rights over Boston, adding yet another twist to this storied rivalry.  And the game to kick off the season?  Yanks vs. Sox, Sunday night.  It doesn't get much better than that.

And (I have to mention them) those lovable Twins... looking for their 4th straight division title, yet looking even further.  They won't be content to settle for another playoff exit to the Yankees again, they will be thinking about that ring.  And with Johan Santana returning off his Cy Young season, and most of our core players returning, it is a possibility we will play deeper into October.  However, we'll have a tougher time with our division than we might ever have.  The Indians, a young and hungry team, look to continue to improve and swing their way into contention, and the Tigers have made considerable additions, and could also pose to be a viable threat.  The key for our division (and World Series) hopes rests on the shoulders of our 21 year old phenom: Joe Mauer.  People are saying that he has the chance to become one of the best players in the game, and he's definitely shown us that he can.  The one problem?  His knee.  It forced him to miss the majority of the 2004 season, and we'll have to be very protective of his knee this whole year.  If his knee is hurt again, it's not looking good.  If it holds up, then look out.

Anyway, I'm ready.  How about you?

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
2005 MLB Season
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 04:58:59 pm »
i can't wait until sunday night. it is going to be awesome. thank god baseball's back. with all the negative recent events america will need a break from reality. hopefully the steroids dont effect the game

Megan

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:07:23 pm »
Ooh... that is going to be one heckuva game. Cannot wait. I have been waiting intensly for ball season to start. It's gonna be a historic season for me, it's the last year that the Cardinals will be playing in their current stadium, Busch. They are making a stupid new stadium. Not many St. Louisians like it. But whatever. I'm gonna see about getting a row of seats for my basement.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
2005 MLB Season
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 07:43:49 pm »
Go Astros & Rangers :P

foulpattie

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 08:34:46 pm »
my phillies won't be doing much good this year. I don't really watch that much baseball. There are too many games.

Kenny Blankenship

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:09:27 pm »
my phillies won't be doing much good this year.
[snapback]166023[/snapback]

Uhh, are you sure about that?  They've been contending for a playoff spot the past few years, and I would say they have an outside shot at the playoffs this year...

foulpattie

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 06:49:50 pm »
oh yes i'm sure. The division is probably going to be better than last season. Mainly the mets.

Kenny Blankenship

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 01:31:25 pm »
First off, Yankees/Red Sox kicking off the season tonight.  Nice.... hopefully I'll be able to get home in time....

Second, the new MLB steroids policy has its first casualty.  Some guy named Alex Sanchez has been tested positive for steroids and has been banned for 10 games.  Although looking at his numbers last season, he didn't really put up any power numbers.  Maybe his story might be correct...

Starr2k3

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 01:35:25 pm »
Alex Sanchez?! That is a bunch of bull. He played for the Tigers lasted year and hit one homer. I don't believe this.

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
2005 MLB Season
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:13:43 pm »
opening day...yankees win 9-2. what now red sox? haha that made my day!

Kenny Blankenship

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:24:10 pm »
Bugger.  Twins lose 5-1 to the Mariners.  Radke really didn't pitch all that bad, but he threw two bad pitches... one smacked over the fence by Sexson for a 3 run shot, and another 2 run shot by Sexson again.  And just like last year, we can't give Brad any decent run support at all.  Oh well.  It's only the start of the season...

Tomorrow my favorite pitcher, AND CY YOUNG AWARD WINNER Johan Santana takes the mound.  Fun, eh?

Starr2k3

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:28:56 pm »
Tigers win 11-2! Dimitri with 3 homers. He is on pase for 486 homers. XD

Kenny Blankenship

2005 MLB Season
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 07:53:24 pm »
Aha.  Last time I wrote things were looking quite bleak for America's Favorite TeamĀ®, but they have righted the ship and are now riding a TWO game win streak.  I'm telling ya, no one's gonna stop us now....

And Friday, it's the home opener against those villainous White Sox... hopefully we'll give them quite the beating...