Author Topic: Is a fetus a person?  (Read 13135 times)

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:25:34 pm »
I believe to be considered a human, they must be able to sustain their own life without the assistance of machines.
[snapback]254150[/snapback]
so now YOU are saying anyone that needs ANY assistance like from an oxygen machine is inhuman?
[snapback]254151[/snapback]

If someone has no chance of surviving, and must live off of a machine that will only artificially keep them alive, then no, they aren't human, and deserve to be put out of their misery.
[snapback]254154[/snapback]
Kevin, that is a horrible thing to say. Who are we to decide if someone lives or dies? My father needs an oxygen machine to help him breath while he recovers from an operation.. does HE deserve to die? My grandmother needs insulin injections to survive. Does SHE deserve to die?

That statement sickens me, Kevin... they are no less of people then you and I are. And anyways, you need food right? You need a fridge to keep that food cold... without it you would starve to death. So since you need a fridge to store your food so you can eat should YOU be put out of your misery because you need it to eat the food so you survive?

Think about that a little Kevin... we all use machines these days to survive.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 06:27:01 pm »
Both the funeral and the double murder law arguement are flawed.  You can have a funeral for anything, and laws are written and struck down on a daily basis.  The definition of being human is different for every person, which makes laws about it difficult.  To me, a human must be aware of its own existance to be a human.  As for whether or not a fetus is, I don't know.
[snapback]254028[/snapback]
Then what about the mentally retarded, or someone who is in a state of vegetation? They do not know they are human, so according to your theory that makes THEM inhuman... am I correct?
[snapback]254149[/snapback]
Vegetables aren't living humans.  They're machines hooked up to organic matter.

Mentally retarded people are aware of their own existance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:27:52 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42:03 pm »
Both the funeral and the double murder law arguement are flawed.  You can have a funeral for anything, and laws are written and struck down on a daily basis.  The definition of being human is different for every person, which makes laws about it difficult.  To me, a human must be aware of its own existance to be a human.  As for whether or not a fetus is, I don't know.
Then what about the mentally retarded, or someone who is in a state of vegetation? They do not know they are human, so according to your theory that makes THEM inhuman... am I correct?

[snapback]254161[/snapback]
But do they know that they are human? They may be aware they are alive but can they grasp the concept that they are human beings?

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 06:43:34 pm »

[snapback]254161[/snapback]
But do they know that they are human? They may be aware they are alive but can they grasp the concept that they are human beings?
[snapback]254164[/snapback]
Do you know that you are human?  Does anyone know that they are human?  Note I specifically said "aware of their own existance".  It's pointless to use the word human in the definition of human.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:44:05 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 06:44:38 pm »
I believe to be considered a human, they must be able to sustain their own life without the assistance of machines.
so now YOU are saying anyone that needs ANY assistance like from an oxygen machine is inhuman?

If someone has no chance of surviving, and must live off of a machine that will only artificially keep them alive, then no, they aren't human, and deserve to be put out of their misery.
That statement sickens me, Kevin... they are no less of people then you and I are. And anyways, you need food right? You need a fridge to keep that food cold... without it you would starve to death. So since you need a fridge to store your food so you can eat should YOU be put out of your misery because you need it to eat the food so you survive?
[snapback]254160[/snapback]

People lived without refrigerators for quite awhile. It's a perk, and it's not required to mantain life.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 06:47:52 pm »

People lived without refrigerators for quite awhile. It's a perk, and it's not required to mantain life.
[snapback]254166[/snapback]

But just because someone needs a machine to live does not make them 'Not-Human'

Thats riduculous. Im assuming now that people whom get a heart attack are no longer human? bewcause they need a machine to live for the time being? And then when they are done needing the machine they are human again? Think about it...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:48:18 pm by IceFox »

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 06:53:23 pm »
Nobody deserves to die because the suffer from some sort of disability that requires machines... it is assanine to say they deserve to die.

Elizabeth Rose

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 07:23:39 pm »

[snapback]254166[/snapback]

But food is.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 11:47:47 pm »
Something non-human is something that behaves in-humainly.
Like an ANIMAL....for instance, a mouse.
Humans can deny their own existance and say 'I don't want to be human, therfor I deny myself being one' like I have, so technically, Im not human.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

garyfan

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 12:37:17 pm »
It is a person. It is A-L-I-V-E.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 06:12:20 pm »
Look how Kevin is ignoring this topic now... pfft.

Extremists bother me.

When Kevin can prove why people that needs machines to survive deserve to die then I might retract my statement.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 06:32:59 pm »

Extremists bother me.

When Kevin can prove why people that needs machines to survive deserve to die then I might retract my statement.
[snapback]254347[/snapback]

Hmm... let me rephrase my statement.

If a fetus can live on it's own with living off of another person's body, than it can be considered a person.

Dragon Of Grief

Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 06:32:58 pm »

Extremists bother me.

[snapback]254347[/snapback]

Hmm... let me rephrase my statement.

If a fetus can live on it's own with living off of another person's body, than it can be considered a person.
[snapback]254350[/snapback]
That made no sense, Kevin... doesn't change the fact what you said was very inappropriate. You have no right to say who deserves to live and die. It is not your place. Everyone deserves to live... people in wheelchairs my need a machine to get around but they can still live their lives like any normal human being.

I am sorry Kevin, but that was a very dumb thing to say...

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2005, 12:21:21 pm »
Don't start flaming eachother or I'll close this topic.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Is a fetus a person?
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 12:22:41 pm »
Don't start flaming eachother or I'll close this topic.
[snapback]255156[/snapback]

For something that happened four days ago?  A little late, are we?