Author Topic: Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays  (Read 16794 times)

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:08:34 pm »
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/charlotte/n...=charlotte_news

MSP made this topic last year and so this year, Kevin said there could be another one So blame him for when this topic goes bad.

What's your perspective on this?

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 07:28:36 pm »
I think people should get over the fact it's been "Merry Christmas" for years. This morning, a Wal-Mart commercial came on, and they said "We wish you a Merry Holiday". I was like, wtf? So are they going to wish someone a "merry holiday" for Colombus Day? How about Labor Day?

I mean wtf is next? Banning the Easter bunny? Or banning Easter in general?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:33:46 pm »
If a giant corporation or the US government wants to say it, it should sefinitely be "Happy Holidays". Not everyone is a Christian.

"We'd like you to wish you a merry Christmas, but if you celebrate Chanukah, we don't want you to have a good holiday season."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:34:43 pm by IZ »

Offline Fink

• SpongeBob
  • get high like planes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:36:22 pm »
And how exactly is it bad when someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas"? It's not like they are saying "hey you can't celebrate this holiday unless you are Christian!". What would this holiday be without the word Christmas? I mean, that's where it came from anyway, right?

okay, you edited when I replied: and crap, I've got to sign off so I will have to debate laterrrrrrr. :(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:37:27 pm by Fink »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 07:42:52 pm »
And how exactly is it bad when someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas"? It's not like they are saying "hey you can't celebrate this holiday unless you are Christian!". What would this holiday be without the word Christmas? I mean, that's where it came from anyway, right?

okay, you edited when I replied: and crap, I've got to sign off so I will have to debate laterrrrrrr. :(
[snapback]258537[/snapback]

I actually edited it before you replied. :P

"Happy Holidays" is a phrase capturing all the holidays of the winter season into one. It'd be like telling everyone "Happy Chanukah!".

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:04:51 pm »
I think people should use "Merry Christmas" until the day after or a couple days after Christmas is over, unless they were against Christian things. There's no harm in saying Merry Christmas for a couple weeks. Happy Holidays should be used for New Years Eve/Day and whatever holiday before valentines day

Gideon Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 08:11:59 pm »
The month of Ramadan, Chanukah, and Christmas all fall around the same few months in winter, so it is quite insulting to the Islams and Jews who are also celebrating religious...celebrations. Let's not forget that pagans who are celebrating the Winter Solstice, who's customs were stolen to make Christmas.

Lil Loco

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:33 pm »
i say merry christmas...i got no problem with the other religious holidayz that fall into this seazon, but itz stupid that people arent able to say merry christmas half the time anymore cuz itz a christian holiday.  if itz hanukah u celebrate, go ahead and say happy hanukah, if itz quanza (i dunno how to spell it) u celebrate go ahead and say it.  but therez a alotta foolz that wanna take out the christian aspect of the seazon altogether...and thatz b/s.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:33:51 pm »
I think that Happy Holidays is best. Merry Christmas is right for me, but Happy Holidays lasts longer. Well, 6 more days but who cares!

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 08:51:14 pm »
If a giant corporation or the US government wants to say it, it should sefinitely be "Happy Holidays". Not everyone is a Christian.

"We'd like you to wish you a merry Christmas, but if you celebrate Chanukah, we don't want you to have a good holiday season."
[snapback]258535[/snapback]
That's absurd.  The only Jews that have ever gotten their drawers in a wad over "Merry Christmas" weren't worth the time of day anyway.  If I went to Israel I would not be insulted by hearing "Happy Hannukah".  This is America, and in America the majority of the population celebrate Christmas, and the majority of the population aren't even Christians.  Not really.

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:02:15 pm »
I would say "Happy Holidays" to someone if I don't clearly know what he/she celebrates. Otherwise, I would be specific.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 11:29:46 pm »
I could care less what you wished me. I don't get offended over something so small and not important.

Snowthrower

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 04:49:28 pm »
Its ridiculous, they should be able to say whatever they want. I wouldnt even be offended if I was atheist, its so ridiculously stupid.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 07:24:04 pm »
I'd rather say "Happy Christanakawanzadan Solstice" than Happy Holidays. Ya, that was sort of random. But still Christmas is much better I think. Winter Solstice isn't a holiday, It's a galactic event. Chanakah is a Holiday. I don't really think Kwanza is a holiday for a few reasons: #1 It was invented in the 80's by a black professer for blacks that didn't want to celebrate Christmas. #2 No one celebrates it. #3 It's totally pointless.

Starr2k3

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 06:11:03 am »
If you walk up to someone and say "Merry Christmas", you're basically assuming everyone in this world is Christian. I'd much rather say "Happy Holidays" because I know there is other religons out there than Christianity. If you know someone is Christian then I have no problem in someone saying "Merry Christmas" but if you don't know the person's religon, say "Hsppy Holidays". As for the TV and stuff, it has to say "Happy Holidays" in my opinion.

:)