Poll

Do You Support the Goals of Intelligent Design

Yes - Teach that an unknown being of infinite power and universal knowledge has guided human evolution from the beginning. -=Some claim that this is a guise to sneak Christianity into the classroom, and violates seperation of Church and State=-
6 (27.3%)
No - Teach that evolution, as a result of natural forces, resulted in life as it is today. -=Some claim that life is to complicated to have arisen from random and chaotic forces; thus life must have have been helped along to reach its current state.=-
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?  (Read 39068 times)

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2006, 01:00:13 am »
My point is that the bible already has a class and (like other subjects) should stay out of other lessons.
I don't want to start learning about Jesus in physics class!
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:19 am »
my point exactly^^^
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2006, 08:40:10 am »
Sometimes subjects cross over, it happens. I think as long as the Bible is taught as either theory or stories and is appropriate to the subject (i.e. Teaching Intelligent Design as an opposing theory to Evolution) that it should be allowed to be taught in schools. Not necessarily required, but as optional subject matter.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2006, 01:01:36 am »
So are you saying that SOME of the bible should be taught in science class? Well...what about science being taught in Religious Education class? They don't mix THAT well.

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2006, 06:06:16 am »
So are you saying that SOME of the bible should be taught in science class? Well...what about science being taught in Religious Education class? They don't mix THAT well.
[snapback]284992[/snapback]
I'm saying that if it relates to the subject, which it can in some cases, and is taught as theory then the teacher should be allowed to have the choice of teaching it if he/she chooses so. Ministers and Sunday School teachers have the right of teaching Science if they want to, but since the general purpose of going to church is learning from the Bible, it's not likely to happen. Grade school is labelled as general education, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to put the Bible out there as an optional theory, as long as nobody's beliefs are being pushed.

Lil Loco

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2006, 07:22:13 am »

i dont think the bible itself should be taught in science, but the concept of ID in general.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2006, 08:09:51 am »
Is it required to have a Religious Education class over there or something?  Most schools around here don't even offer that...

carterhawk

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2006, 08:29:27 am »

i dont think the bible itself should be taught in science, but the concept of ID in general.
[snapback]285014[/snapback]

ah, but therin lies the rub, for what is an intelligent designer but a god? to bring ID into the science class  is to bring religion in as well.

Lil Loco

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2006, 08:32:19 am »
evolution...ID...both require faith beyond cold logic.

carterhawk

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2006, 10:43:33 am »
evolution doesnt because new evidence is being found and sought after. if Evolutin required a great leap of faith no respectable scientist would consider it a credible scientific theory. evolution is based on cold scientific logic and processes. ID is rejection of nature and random chance in favor precision and order. ID is itself unnatural.

Lil Loco

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2006, 10:55:53 am »
really?  so do you got a cold hard explanation for where the cloud of matter that caused the big bang came from?  i mean it couldnt have just appeared there...that would be unnatural.  it couldnt have just alwayz been there...that would be unnatural.  everything comez from sumthin else right?

here'z an article for you to chew on too...

"I am given assignments which sometimes require exhausting research and overnight vigils. On this relatively easy assignment I was required to listen to a lecture given by Dave Nutting, which was entitled '50 Scientific Reasons Why Evolution is Wrong.' After listening to the lecture, a question was raised in my mind, "How does evolution answer the charges this man brings forth?" Because of the constant changes in the actual theory of evolution, I am constantly behind in my understanding of it. But even my advanced understanding of evolution does not aid me in any way of answering my question.

In order for the reader to answer for his or herself, I will include several of the scientific reasons that Mr. Nutting brought forth.

I can remember in my high-school science class, the very first thing that I read out of my textbook was, "Science is based on observation." That statement is completely disregarded by anyone who claims that the Theory of Evolution is "science". The study of history is not a science because the person studying it cannot observe the past. "I was not around for your birth, so it never happened," replies the skeptic. No, but there is conclusive evidence to prove that I was born, and evolution, simply put, does not have such evidence.

For your own benefit, here are the several summaries of Mr. Nutting's reasons:

According to evolutionary teaching, the "Geologic Column" is a map of evolutionary history. Supposedly all fossils fit into a specific order, simple to complex. However, some flaws are to be found. Recently, fish scales were found in the "Cambrian layer" when according to the "column", fish did not appear until much later.

All over the world can be found layer-transversing fossils. A typical specimen is a tree running vertical through thousands of layers. Possible explanation: Those layers weren't laid down over billions of years, unless ancient trees had the capability to grow through solid rock, void of all sunlight. Lest the reader even consider such a wild notion, or one like it, some of these trees are found up-side-down. Indeed, they spell nothing but sudden catastrophe.

There are no transitional forms found, only the end product. David Kitz said, "Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them."  David Kitts is an evolutionist. Even if one or two were found, they are suspect even among evolutionists and in order to prove evolution, you would need hundreds of thousands everywhere.

The once so-called Nebraska man was later re-analyzed and found to be Nebraska Pig. The piece of evidence found was lacking in integrity as only one tooth was found. Later, more of the skeleton was found and it was indeed the skeleton of a pig.

Does 'Lucy' prove evolution? For that to be true the truth would be stretched extremely thin. Not even a complete skeleton was found, only a few pieces. Furthermore, her bones strongly suggest that she was nothing more than a knuckle-walking tree-dweller, not an upright man-like ape.

Unfortunately for those convinced of evolution, the theory contradicts many laws of science. The second Law of Thermodynamics is clearly violated as evolution says that everything began as simple forms and gradually evolved into more complex ones. But as that law states, everything tends to disorder.

Some arguments for evolution is that if you give it enough time anything could happen. But unbeknownst to most, evolution doesn't have enough time. Billions or trillions of years is not even close to how much time would be needed. Rick Ramashing and Sir Fred Hoyle calculated the probability for one cell to evolve by chance. The atheist/agnostic team found to their disbelief that it is 1 chance in 10 to the 40,000th power years just for one cell to evolve. Hoyle said, "The chance that higher life forms might have emerged in this way is comparable with the chance that 'a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein.' "  Does evolution have enough time? No.

Although I was already a creationist, Mr. Nutting's statements and reasons convinced me even further of my belief.

So the question remains, can evolution answer these reasons?"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:31:46 am by Lil Loco »

Patback399

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2006, 05:24:25 pm »
Did you know Lucy was named after the song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"?

Anyway, to elaborate my answer, I'll say something more. The Bible should not be taught in Science class. Because Religion isn't Science. The Theory of Evolution should not be taught as a true concept, just as a theory.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2006, 05:37:43 am »
Is it required to have a Religious Education class over there or something?  Most schools around here don't even offer that...
[snapback]285015[/snapback]

yes, but in year 10 and 11 (I have no idea what grade it is over there) you can drop the subject. You don't HAVE to take it anymore.

evolution doesnt because new evidence is being found and sought after. if Evolutin required a great leap of faith no respectable scientist would consider it a credible scientific theory. evolution is based on cold scientific logic and processes. ID is rejection of nature and random chance in favor precision and order. ID is itself unnatural.
[snapback]285023[/snapback]

^ I agree.

Anyway, to elaborate my answer, I'll say something more. The Bible should not be taught in Science class. Because Religion isn't Science. The Theory of Evolution should not be taught as a true concept, just as a theory.
[snapback]285102[/snapback]

It may be a theory, but it at least has evidence to support it. The Bible is a book and lacks physical evidence to support it accuratly.

Lil Loco

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2006, 08:00:08 am »
lol i'm not gonna keep repeating myself over and over on evolution.

but as for for the bible having no evidence...

scientific evidence
No scientific fact has ever disproved the Bible in any way. Many people will say, "The Bible is not a scientific book, but is meant to provide a religious or spiritual view of the universe." The implication of that statement is that because the physical descriptions serve a religious intent, these descriptions cannot be expected to be absolutely accurate. Therefore, we are told not to trust the scientific details but only seek the moral or religious teaching.
    This line of thinking is wrong because it is illogical. How are we to decide which statements are true and which are not? If we cannot trust some statements in the Bible, then we cannot trust the moral or spiritual message it brings. The reason we could not trust the spiritual message is that we would not have a standard by which to know what things are accurate and relevant to our lives and what things are inaccurate and not to be taken seriously.
    This line of thinking is wrong because it is a faithless insult to God Who is the author of the Bible. The accuracy of the accounts, people, and places in the Bible is a reflection of God's integrity, inasmuch as He presents statements which are to be taken at face value and which are a reflection of God's ability to keep the contents of the Bible accurate over the centuries.

example from geography
While the Bible does not intend to deliberately school its readers in scientific principles and data, any subject which it discusses about God's creation is accurate and true. As one case in point, we can turn to Job 26:7, where we read a modern description of the earth as it spins in empty space. This was written about 3,000 years B.C. This description is in sharp contrast to the fantastic imaginary notions which the rest of the world taught or believed at that time. In support of Job 26:7, Isaiah 40:22 points out that God sits upon "the circle of the earth." The earth would appear as a "circle" to all those who lived on it only if it were a sphere. Isaiah 40 matches the description in Job 26 and supports its accurate statement, which is what we can expect from the Bible. After all, who knows better than the Creator how the universe is designed and built?

example from archaeology
The oldest extant copies of the most famous Greek poems and essays are from 800 to 1,000 years newer than the original manuscripts. However, no scholar would accept an argument that these Greek classics are unfaithful to the original and should be thrown away. In contrast to that, the oldest copies of many Old Testament books are only 200 years newer than the original. And the oldest copies of some New Testament books are dated only 50 to 80 years later than the original autographs. On the basis of that information, then, the Bible should be trusted at least as much as the Greek literature, which is so revered today.
    Recent discoveries have validated the historical integrity of the Bible, causing many archaeologists, who have had a poor regard for the Bible, to turn from a bias against it to a scientific respect for it. For example, in Genesis 15:20 a people called the "Hittites" are mentioned. For centuries, people laughed at the Bible for making up a whole group of people. But a few decades ago, the ruins of a city located in the country of Turkey, north of present-day Israel, was discovered which proved to be the ruins of a main Hittite city.

historical evidence
The Bible tells about things before they happen. The prophet Isaiah talks about the Persian king Cyrus (Isaiah 45:1), who would eventually restore the nation of Judah. Persia was a great kingdom, located in what is now the country of Iran. Isaiah wrote during the reign of the Judaean king Hezekiah, who died in 687 B.C., but Cyrus did not begin to reign as king of the Persian empire until after 600 B.C., more than 80 years after Isaiah left the scene. Only God could know the name of the man who would be the Persian king before he sat on the throne.
    Many historical prophecies of Jesus Christ were given 1,000 years before His birth. Every Old Testament book of the Bible refers clearly to Jesus. For example, notice the detail of Psalm 22, Isaiah 53, and Micah 5:2.

i'll say it again though...i dont think the bible itself should be in the class, but the concept of ID should be.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2006, 09:37:36 am »
Is religious class something in the UK? I have NEVER in my life seen one in California.